Sign in to follow this  
aaka

Online flying

Hey guys

Many times I have seen that people flying on vatsim gets full atc facility. However, when I connect to vatsim, I hardly get atc coverage at the departure airport. I want to experience full atc as well. I know that we get full atc in vatsim events.But not sure how to book a flight. And is their any fix time when we get full atc coverage? Also help on booking a flight in event will be appreciated.

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I use Vattastic to check where ATC is active.

www.vattastic.com

It looks like this:

42ffb73f03aeaab3336ea23cf92d6987.png

It shows you a big map, with active ATC marked by big purple/blue circles. Like you see on this screenshot, ATC at EGMC and ENGM is active.

Try it yourself :)

But in case you're new, read the tutorials first. Vatsim is not a simple ballgame.
I'm still making errors and putting myself to shame often :sad:

Thnx domini99 but I am unaware of unicom talking. I don't know wen how and wat to say on unicom.

A help with tht would be greatful

Thnx domini99 but I am unaware of unicom talking. I don't know wen how and wat to say on unicom.

As far as I understand, (someone correct me if i'm wrong) when there's no ATC coverage you have to say what you're doing on the unicom.

Like when you're approaching the airfield, which runway you're landing, i'm not a Vatim professional at all, i'm far from!

I started a couple of months ago with my Cessna, just flying VFR and listening what the ATC is saying to other planes.

When you're flying at only 2000 feet you won't bother anybody so ATC doesn't say a lot to you.

About the unicom, i haven't even had contact back on the unicom even once.

I'm planning to try to get my Boeing on vatsim after i finished studying every function of the FMC and can operate it fluently.

Right now often the approach legs gets screwed up and the autopilot quits.

Nobody will notice as the legs are still displayed on my screens, the Lnav function on my autopilot just quits working and i have to switch to heading hold.

Well vatsim / ivap ATC is on user time. Hence not all ATC personal shall be active.

I have seen the German branch to be highly active. Always check vatview.com or webeye.ivao. That's what I do.

Non ATC will give you  G Class IIRC airspace. But announce on Unicom about your intentions and always file a Flight Plan.  

Europe goes bonkers late in the evening. So does NY

I learned by connecting at a busy airport parked out of the way on a ramp listening to the active frequencies and watched what was typed on the UNICOM channel.  As far as I know you are only permitted text on UNICOM.  

Read the manual and look up some vids on youtube as to how to converse with controllers.

Good luck.

Robert

Use Vatspy or similar software that let's you check out the activity and where it's at before you get online.   If I see that it's a slow do I will fire up VoxATC instead and fly offline with AI traffic.

Like others have already suggested UNICOM is only for text and you'll use it to announce your intentions when there's no ATC online such as what arrival and approach you're planning to shoot.

There's lots of videos on YouTube you can watch and I've uploaded lots of online flights on Vatsim myself some of them in Swedish though but also lots of clips in English. Do a Google search for my full name (Richard Åsberg) and you should be able to find my YouTube channel.

As for ATC coverage you can check out the Vatsim site and look for planned events but in general in Europe both Germany and UK are mostly very active but also Scandinavia. Not sure about other parts outside Europe since that's where I do all my flying.

See you in the virtual skies ☺

Thank you guys and one last thing. As I mentioned earlier, I also wanna know about booking a flighton vatsim events.

Webmaximus Ill definitely go through ur vids and hope I get my ans there. Thank you

To book a flight in a Vatsim event, you'll normally find a Vatsim event banner, click it and get passed through to the website with flight charts and booking facilities. 

e.g.. 

http://ctp.vatsim-uk.co.uk/

or 

http://www.vatsim.net/news-details/dublinheathrow-overload/7dfc9311de/?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=5

There is one serious amount of stuff to learn on Vatsim, and you don't want to put yourself in an event with only basic Vatsim-knowhow. 

Don't let this put you off and keep logging in to listen to other pilots and controllers. 

I've mentioned this in another thread...

IVAO has about a 10% mix of GA in their flights...the rest being heavy metal.  Curious as to why VATSIM doesn't have the same.  Seems more like 1% when I look.  Being a GA flyer, mostly, I wonder why.

As an example, on Vatsim, in UK Airspace, Gloucester (EGBJ) is open most Tuesday evenings supporting GA traffic. The CIX VFR Club only fly VFR and will arrive or depart from EGBJ. If you're part of a group or that group, you'll have more say in asking for an airport to be opened for your flight. 

I've seen that London Control covering all UK Airspace will operate on Weekend mornings. They will give you full ATC from stand to stand in the UK.  

The ATC at Schiphol helped me a lot. They are usually ON later in the day most of the week.  You ask the ATC to help you which they will if there is not much traffic.

Both are good vatsim and ivao but there is more traffic on vatsim and usually heavies. 

I think you could get great help from Swedish ATC as well and I often hear GA traffic on the radio.

For VATSIM, I recommend vroute.info to find out about upcoming events, day by day.  

I always plan my online flights based on that info to make sure I won't be alone.

Meet you there.

I don't know wen how and wat to say on unicom.

Like others have already suggested UNICOM is only for text and you'll use it to announce your intentions when there's no ATC online such as what arrival and approach you're planning to shoot.

Here are a few tips FWIW.  VATSIM UNICOM texts are on 122.80 should include who/what you are, where you are, and what you are doing.

Your callsign is automatic generated when you send a text, so no need to retype it.

If you are using a smaller airport with other airports nearby use the City name and the airport ID.

To a pilot holding short for takeoff, a Learjet or C152 on a ten mile final are not the same so say type aircraft.

Keep in mind that other pilots don't always know where, let's say "WORMS" intersection is so give distance and direction info.

Include Departure/Arrival ID and Approach type when applicable.

Sample:

AAY1066: Orlando KSFB traffic, type MD83 t/o RWY9L Northwest Departure to WORMS (SFB4)

AAL1411: KMCO traffic, type A320 ~15nm Southwest at UNITY visual approach RWY35L (MINEE5)

I like to type in notepad before pushback and decent, then copy/paste as it gets busy during takeoffs and landings.

Hope that helps.

GD

Once a week I head over to http://forums.vatsim.net/viewforum.php?f=17 and check for future flyins.

As an Australian, I am most active from 0600 UTC to 1200 UTC, although on days off I can manage 2000 UTC to 1400 UTC.

I just look through the posts, looking for stuff that is inside those time frames, and note down any that look good on my google calendar.

And then I show up to the event when it's on (Often days later) fully prepared with flightplan etc, because I planned days in advance to attend that specific event.

A good understanding of UTC time in comparison with your local time is required, and I usually use a time converter such as http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html - so that no silly conversion errors pop up. ("The Event was Yesterday/is Tomorrow" is a common one.)

That way you are operating into places that WILL be covered, and not just hoping that someone shows up.

Anything else is just luck based.

You don't head over to the concert hall "Just incase" they have a concert on. You check the posters/forums/website etc when a concert IS going to be on, and go there at the appropriate time.

Of course, on VATSIM you CAN actually get lucky and find someone controlling 'just because', as it is, afterall, free to do.

Another question, I would like to add is : presume you are departing a 'covered' airport, and during flight you get instructed to go on unicomm. How do you get to know when you get back into 'covered' airspace?

I fly fullscreen all of the time, and only have one computerscreen...

I don't like to fly windowed...

How do you get to know when you get back into 'covered' airspace?

First you need to know which region control you will fly through, just check your flight plan, then with FSINN or Vpilot you will see those region control coming up on ATC the list.

FSINN is the best for this, as it will show the distance from your position to the next available ATC, the first in the list are normally the one you will normally fly throw.

The second method is push windows on keyboard  and quickly active vatspy refresh and you will get the active one's and then go back to FSX, of course you need to be on autopilot mode LoL.

shouldn't it be some kind of a rule for the guys next to the uncovered space, to send a selcal to you when you enter their airspace?

I've always got a message to 'contact' the controller when I'm entering their airspace. 

I use that and Vattastic to know which controller to contact.

For those that are unsure, want to know Vatsim better and are on UK time, I'd be more than happy to offer a Vatsim taster session. I've got a Mumble server, a 'P1' qualification and have been one of the virtual pilots live at the Weston Super Mare South-West Overload event 2 years running. 

Is not such a big issue don't worry. In most of the cases when you enter controlled aerospace from an uncovered zone and you didn't notice the controller himself sends you a msg on chat to contact him on the correct frequency.

Different is when you fly between ATC covered zones as the first hands you over to the second.

Anyway use voice if you can is much more realistic. Simply I don't get what's the fun to have ATC coverage when you have to type answers in the middle of an approach...

Text has of course be used on Unicom.

Thanks for the explanation... I just tried a session on the German airspace... Munich was online, and indeed, a controller contacted me with the correct freq...