Sign in to follow this  
Joe Flyer2

What are you expecting from Dovetail Games?

Whew! it's been a long time since I posted anything on AVSIM, but I'm glad to be back! So, I would like to start off by saying hi to everyone!

[Once again] Hi, everyone!

Let us reflect upon the great times we had and cherish with FSX. Oh, I love my FSX, but when I read articles about it, I always see the same old fact... it was first released in mid-October of, ready for this? 2006. Yep, I'm sure most of you know, but we are using an eight-year-old simulator. Nonetheless, FSX falls nothing short of awesome and spectacular for many, but we must ask ourselves... what new flight simulator can be revived with today's modern computer programming software? Even better, with the newest and higher rated companies that focus on simulations, we can get excited about what ever release should occur within the next few years. Especially with the licensing deal this past summer between Microsoft and Dovetail Games, we can not only expect something new, but something, perhaps... different. All the more, different can be a good thing!

But now, with the ideas at Dovetail well under-way for a hopefully immersive flight simulator, I will admit asking myself time and time again... how much experience does Dovetail even have in the Flight Simulation category? But I suppose they would never buy a license from one of the largest software/hardware companies in the world if they didn't know what they were doing! ^_^ #Don't sweat it

So, as a formal question with the above in mind... what are you expecting from Dovetail Games for the new and "revived" Flight Simulator Series?

Thanks in advance for responding.

From,

Joe.

Zero expectations for me. I could probably keep playing FSX for decades to come. No joke. My main concern is keeping what I already have in good condition, i.e. praying my hardware keeps chugging along and my OS and software install is kept lean and conflict free. Everything else is a side show for me, at best a future possibility to consider, and at worst a distraction from enjoying what I already have.

True. I've put so much time and love into FSX. And, to be honest, it has kind of become one of the many facts of life for me ^_^.

Joe.

DoveTail will give us what it thinks.

If a new flight simulator starts getting support from the likes of PMDG, Orbx etc, I'll get interested.

If it's a 64 bit architecture, I'll get more interested.
Till then...

Guys, this has been discussed so many times in the past!

Dovetail will be re-distribution FSX!! That is all!

What do we expect? Nothing, of course!

Those of us that still have FSX, why would we want to download FSX - Steam from Dovetail?

In any case, do we still want to carry on with a 6 year old program that has been discontinued by it's manufacturers, OR do we want to upgrade to P3D?

It's a business decision by Microsoft to pass on all distribution to Dovetail. Therefore MS does not have to carry inventory of discontinued software, nor worry about world-wide distribution.

We all know that Dovetail is a gaming site. So This will attract newbies to our hobby.

Hopskip... We will never see a 64bit FSX. However, Lockheed Martin are busy with a 64bit version of Prepar3d!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

For heavens sake, if you already have it, why would you want it again? A sim that has never been updated, when there is better that has been updated about 6 times now?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I would definitely consider moving to Prepar3d if it became truly 64 bit. However, I am still confused by their licensing. Being a nearly 60 year old, I can't justify considering myself a 'student'. I think Lockhead should reconsider their entry level license statement for their entry level product, or else we just all fib!!!!

Regards,

Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Not expecting anything either. I doubt that they are even touching FSX. The only thing that is taking so long is probably getting in touch with add-on developers and building the business backend so DTG can sell FSX and have dozens of nickel & dime DLCs ready for release from the start.

For heavens sake, if you already have it, why would you want it again? A sim that has never been updated, when there is better that has been updated about 6 times now?

Simple, upgrade pc just redownload it from steam and the fact more likely issues with later versions of windows will likely be address by dovetail. In time, activation won't last forever or will future computers have DVD drives in them.

It is very simple..

Am I a Professional/ Commercial? NO!

Am I a Developer? NO!

Am I learning something? YES!! & this is no fibbing!!!

For entertainment/gaming  try any of the other sims.

If you want to be 'transported to the scene of the action for an immersive educational experience'. then it is obvious what to get ;-)

Apart from the different licensing, the versions are all the same.

(PS.. watch out for the Men in Black when they come knocking... lol)

Simple, upgrade pc just redownload it from steam and the fact more likely issues with later versions of windows will likely be address by dovetail. In time, activation won't last forever or will future computers have DVD drives in them.

No, they have stated that they are only distributing, NOT upgrading FSX!! The upgrade is P3D.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

At this point in time I consider FSX to be abandonware/retro software. It is hard to imagine that this move means anything more than ValueSoft and Empire owning licenses to sell Flight Simulator 2002 (http://www.amazon.com/Flight-Simulator-PC/dp/B000J14PD8/ref=sr_1_12?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1417517634&sr=1-12&keywords=flight+simulator).

Seeing how much work it has taken the Prepar3D-team to get FSX transformed into something current, I have little hope that Dovetail will put in the effort and hours required to raise FSX to 2014 standards. With P3D available to every "serious" simmer I see noe reason for it either.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

You are correct.. Dovetail, according to their licensing agreement can only re-distribute. So, FSX is gasping for breath. As FS9 was the Windows XP of sims, FSX is the Vista!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...