Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

The fact that they are rewriting the Registry key already used by FSX:MS (original version) is the fox in the hen house.

This most certainly is...and I assume the install order for most is FSX, then FSX:SE (which overwrites the original registry key).

The fact that they are rewriting the Registry key already used by FSX:MS (original version) is the fox in the hen house.

They are not rewriting anything, no registry key and no folder is shared between the two versions, which makes 100% possible to install them both, which I just did.

The registry keys, pointing to the FSX root folder are:

FSX:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator\AppPath

FSX SE:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\AppPath

The roaming folders ( DLL.XML, EXE.XML and fsx.cfg which is now fsx_se.cfg ) are:

FSX:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX

FSX SE:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX-SE

The Program data folders ( scenery.cfg and scenery caches )

FSX:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\FSX

FSX SE:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\FSX-SE

The Documents folders ( saved Flights ) are:

FSX:

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Flight Simulator X files

FSX SE:

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition files

The FSX.EXE Build version for FSX Steam Edition is:

As an additional note, the SetupPath registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, which was used by FSX, is NOT used by FSX SE, only the AppPath key under HKEY_CURRENT_USER is used.

I hope these info could be useful for other developers as well, you surely would have figured it out, but I think it's nice to have all in the same post.

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Flight Simulator X files

FSX SE:

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition files

Does the Steam edition have a separate logbook as well?

Paul, as I posted above, give Pete Dowson time to update his installer. DTG don't provide support for FSUIPC, Pete does

bad choice of words perhaps. The question is does FSX-SE allow the use of FSUIPC4?

Installation is pretty much a no brainer. Move the DLL and KEY files into athe 'Modules' folder in the install folder, along with the INI and other related files and make the appropriate changes to the dll.xml file.

Paul

Any news about whether the SDK comes with it or do I need to install from my DVD?

In the FSD forum someone indicated that the SDK was installed but it was not the FULL SDK as we know it.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Does the Steam edition have a separate logbook as well?

Yes, the logbook.bin file is located under the Documents folder, so there are two separate logbooks too.

Having everything separated, is good and clean, because it prevent issues in a sim to affect the other one. But it requires ALL installers of 3rd party products to be updated, we are working on all our own just now, and they should all be available during the weekend.

They are not rewriting anything, no registry key and no folder is shared between the two versions, which makes 100% possible to install them both, which I just did.

That is very good to know, but that is not the case if one installs ONLY FSX:SE.

In that case there is one and only one Registry entry and it is the same one used by FSX:MS.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\AppPath

where the AppPath in this case is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\

I also have a blank Registry entry for FSX:SE

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

but there is no SetupPath or AppPath key in this entry, presumably because there was no side-by-side installation required.

Given that there are therefore two possible Registry entries from which one may determine the AppPath (or SetupPath depending on where you look), that seems like a potential problem for those of us who code installer packages... :blink:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I should clarify that what I reported (two different .cfg's in their own respective locations) is circumstantial and contingent on a dual application install. So obviously we can deduce what happens in a dual install vs virgin/isolated install in terms of the .cfg's. Addon installers will most likely require a re-work of existing product installers to do what current users have to do manually (which is copy files from the legacy directory to the SE directory as Brian Evans has shared prior) and of course address the two possible selections of install methods (single vs dual installs) because of the assignment of registry keys... BUT, those are issues for developers, not consumers... Which finally brings me to the point that, at least in my view, running dual versions is not practical.

I understand that since we bought it, we want to be among the first to install it and get our hands dirty. But in the perspective of long-term use, I myself see no benefit in running the two on any one same machine. I myself purchased the SE version because of the added convenience Steam offers in terms of hosting my software so to speak.

And while I understand that DT says they will be trying to support third party developers, its going to take a while for the developers to determine to what extent their addons will be functional and stable. And once that happens, it will then take a while for them to make the necessary improvements.

When/If Steam's version supports our developer community and addons completely, I see this being a good update and needed resuscitation of FSX's presence in the community. The fact that their version addresses the errors we've had to fix manually for years now, and the added convenience of being able to install it from a download service (good for new builds/rigs etc), this will likely introduce new life into the community, but at the same time offer many advantages for FSX veterans. For me, I'm still not happy about it being a 32bit application and the fact it still does not utilize all that my system can contribute and I'm still hesitant on how receptive our current community will respond to Steam's version with new approaches of "making things work" vs the manner which we've become accustom to.

bad choice of words perhaps. The question is does FSX-SE allow the use of FSUIPC4?

Don't worry, it's still FSX, there's nothing that prevents any 3rd party module to work with it. Once the installers are sorted out, which is easy, it depends what the 3rd party module does.

A module that access memory locations and undocumented calls, WILL have to be updated to specifically support FSX SE, because everything (FSX.EXE and all DLLs has been recompiled), so all internal memory locations have changed.

We already updated our own module ( the Addon Manager ), because that one requires that kind of access, but it's not doing much, so it took a couple of hours to do it. FSUIPC4 has similar needs, so it will have to be updated too. It's exactly the same when LM release a new P3D version.

The question is does FSX-SE allow the use of FSUIPC4?

In the FSD forum someone indicated that the SDK was installed but it was not the FULL SDK as we know it.

Paul, FSUIPC is dependent on SimConnect. Until Pete updates FSUIPC to recognize the new version of SimConnect that FSX:SE is using, then it cannot work.

As for the SDK, I see no differences at all. They've even included the ancient and venerable GMax and the requisite FSX_GmaxGamePack, 3DSM7, and 3DSM9 export and compiler tools.

I do note that there is a separate ..\SP1a folder containing fsx_sde_sp1a.exe but don't know if that's already been run, or not... :unsure:

Fr. Bill    

I'm downloading it right now.  Looks to be over 4 hours to get it done, but for a fiver, it is worth the wait.

CaptainKen

My download was done in less then 20 mins, I was pleasantly surprised. ;)

On the other side, FPS is a real downer. On my system I run P3D with 2 monitors with 2 separate, complete views (a 2nd view for the panel monitor) and where I'm running 25FPS in P3D, running 2 views, I'm running 6-7FPS in FSX:SE with just 1 view on the main monitor.

Cheers!

Maarten

Which finally brings me to the point that, at least in my view, running dual versions is not practical.

More precisely, if the FSX registry key is used when no FSX is found, installing two versions at the same is:

1) Possible, if you install FSX SE after FSX.

2) A big mess, if you reinstall FSX after having installed FSX SE, because FSX will re-write the registry keys again...

But I don't think it's a big issue, as long as users and developers are aware of this. I don't see many users wanting to keep both sims installed at the same time (at least not for much longer) and not many will want re-install FSX from the DVD, after they installed the Steam edition.

Those that are installing from scratch, with no FSX, wouldn't require updated installers, with the exception of 3rd party .DLL modules and .GAU that requires direct memory access, which will need to be all updated.

BUT, those are issues for developers, not consumers... Which finally brings me to the point that, at least in my view, running dual versions is not practical.

<snipped for brevity>

And while I understand that DT says they will be trying to support third party developers, its going to take a while for the developers to determine to what extent their addons will be functional and stable. And once that happens, it will then take a while for them to make the necessary improvements.

Absolutely, this is a developer's problem, or at least a problem for installer coders... ^_^

Thus far in my limited time for testing, all of my company's installers work well with a default, single FSX:SE installation.

I'm impressed that the installation was painless, and FSX runs very, very well even with the few high-demand aircraft I've installed, with absolutely no 'tweaking' required.

Fr. Bill    

Well, on the upside FSX finally works for those who have Windows 8.1 and can possible be officially supported by PMDG