Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

I was in the process of saying essentially the same thing. There's a surprising amount of disinformation floating around about now... :Whistle:

Interestingly enough, I note that those who are paying in Russian Rubles are only paying a 'converted price' of $1.44...

https://steamdb.info/app/314160/

...what a deal! :Straight Face:

Be careful with that.. Steam has started to apply region lock in some games

Good to see Saitek all over that fsxinsider.com. I hope they get a boost in sales so some of their gear comes down in price even more. This will be good for them

Now, what's a little scary is that I can't seem to find ANY of the updates to the original boxed version (SP1 and 2), which www.fsinsider.com used to host.

Not a surprise....MS can't support FSX forever. They have handed over the torch now

Matthew Kane

Not a surprise....MS can't support FSX forever. They have handed over the torch now

Well this is dumb. Dovetail promised that FSX normal would keep working.

I have Gold Edition, so it doesn't affect me, but this is still bad.

Well this is dumb. Dovetail promised that FSX normal would keep working.

I have Gold Edition, so it doesn't affect me, but this is still bad.

I believe that the AVSIM libraries are hosting FSX SP1 and SP2 patches.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I believe that the AVSIM libraries are hosting FSX SP1 and SP2 patches.

Well... I'm dumb. I just googled for the patches and it seems that the site with the actual patches is still up, but hidden: 

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/default.aspx

Nevermind folks... I guess you'll just have to bookmark it if you don't use Gold Edition. 

I actually didn't realise it was the Steam Christmas sale until after I'd started the thread. But still, that doesn't mean Dovetail had to apply a wopping 80% off, you've gotta give them credit for that.

as an aside, all the DCS World modules are also on sale, MiG-21 50% off? sit in my cart next to FSX .. ;)

Dovetail has done this numerous and countless times with their Train Simulator.. Hacking the price to $5.00. They want the core sim in the palm of everyones hands as quickly as possible.. The core is the loss leader to all the DLC.  Which I have no doubt they will start selling for FSX:SE

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Bought it, installed it, tested it, all under 15 minutes. I made the obligatory changes to the config file and it runs great. Everything is separate from your installed copy of FSX, if you have it already installed, and there hasn't been any problems ot interference between the two as of yet. You can''t go wrong for $5 on this. If you're familiar with the workings of FSX's file structure then you should have no problems getting your add-ons to work. At least they didnt block it so you couldn't use any of your existing add-ons. For those on the fence..... don't be.          Just buy it.

jime

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

Speaking of the SDK, someone at DTG royally screwed the pooch with that. They left out some of the most important tools, such as...

Speaking of the SDK, someone at DTG royally screwed the pooch with that. They left out some of the most important tools, such as...

THAT they did!! Intentionally perhaps? I'm deleting it until FSUIPC, simconnect and everything works. Cant use ASN, PMDG etc, etc.

I see. So this is not actually multiplayer server traffic, just people playing online or offline and with some version that Steam is picking up as FSX.

While the player count does include people flying both online and offline, the only "version" of FSX it counts is the Steam Edition. While people can add other programs, such as normal FSX or Prepar3D, to their Steam library, the player count will not include them.

So, that number means at least 1,000 people bought the new Steam Edition and are all flying around right now!

Has anyone with the "usual" joystick/controller disconnect problems on Win8/8.1 with non-steam FSX tried them on the Steam version to see if that has been fixed as part of the supposed compatibility with 8.1 updates?  Definitely a valid concern since the "common fix" of using FSUIPC won't work right now.  I picked up a copy to put on the "virtual shelf" just because for $5 I can live with that price if I never install it lol, but I'm curious about the controller dropouts.  I know supposedly Win10 has fixed those anyway, but it's not released so the same problem could be "added to it" at any point before release as they continue to add features to it.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

While the player count does include people flying both online and offline, the only "version" of FSX it counts is the Steam Edition. While people can add other programs, such as normal FSX or Prepar3D, to their Steam library, the player count will not include them.

So, that number means at least 1,000 people bought the new Steam Edition and are all flying around right now!

Absolutely correct.

In fact, the only real benefit to adding non-Steam titles to your library, from a community standpoint, is so that those on your friends list can see when/what you are playing. To put it another way, if I were to add FSX standard to my library, those on my friends list would see when I am in game, but anyone not on my friends list would see me as simply being Online when looking at my profile page.

There are no statistics counted for non-Steam applications added by the user. It is simply a way to unify your library of Steam/non-Steam titles using Steam as a launcher of sorts, and in most cases, to allow the use of the Steam community interface while running a non-Steam title.

I understand to a certain degree why those unfamiliar with Steam might be a bit angsty about the whole thing, but, there are quite a large number of us here that have been using Steam for a long, long time. It's really not a big deal.

Regards,

Brian Doney

THAT they did!! Intentionally perhaps? I'm deleting it until FSUIPC, simconnect and everything works. Cant use ASN, PMDG etc, etc.

I doubt it gonna be P3d type migration somewhat they will make steam installers.

Dovetail just giving the addicts fsx for free to sell tons dovetail DLC.

So, bottom line for starters, is it safe to install FSX:SE on the same machine with FSX, without worrying that will #### up existing sim?

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

So, bottom line for starters, is it safe to install FSX:SE on the same machine with FSX, without worrying that will #### up existing sim?

I have for testing purposes, and no issues. Has not wiped my DVD version out

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.