Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

Just to chime in here.  We have confirmed with our beta testers that REX 4 Texture Direct and REX Essentials Plus/Overdrive all work with the new FSX Steam.

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

Good conversation happening here. I think it was needed for clarification. The point I was trying to make is that installing 2 versions on the same machine will only make the experience more dreadful, and if (for whatever reason) members of the community wanted to have both versions installed, there would have to be work-arounds involved from both developers and consumers, and neither would really be happy about that. So, for the sake of conversation, most of these issues and formalities would be really nonexistent with one install, but since we have so many installing beside their legacy versions, its good to have this conversation archived so the community can recognize dual installations isn't practical nor advised. Most addons, modules, and other services will require updates from developers to accommodate what steam has going on with their version if they don't already, and that will just take time. It's the consumer's place to weigh the advantages of either version, and make the determination as to which accommodates their situation and needs. I think for those that want to stick with FSX (meaning those who aren't transitioning to P3D), steam's version makes the experience more enjoyable. For others that are looking for more performance based fixes, I don't think they'll be impressed with steam's version. This is just a business move to push the simulator into a new market, but we who've been in the community for a while can capitalize on the conveniences of this new version. 

From my disk based installation of FSX gold, the versions of simconnect are ....10.0.61259..., ....10.0.61242..., ...10.0.60905...as listed in a search of winsxs, so I presume if these numbers are the same after an installation of FSX:SE, then they are the same version of simconnect.  I'm not planning on getting FSX:SE, but if I were, this would be something I would check.

I doubt it's a different version of simconnect.

FSX:SE version of SimConnect.dll

Product version: 10.0.62607.0 (FSX 20121212-2206)

FSX:MS Accleration version of SimConnect.dll

Product version: 10.0.61637.0 (FSX-Xpack 20070926-1421)

Sure seems different to me...

I seem to recall that there are around six different versions of SimConnect that Pete needs to account for, not including the six ones that Prepar3D has so far.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Edit: Had this response from "Sam," an Admin/Developer at Steam, relative to connectivity to online flightsim communities other than Steam's own multiplayer:

"Our intention is to actively support existing independent FSX community initiatives because they have kept the community alive for a significant period of time. Whether it is possible or not, I can't say for certain, but if we find any situations where the Steam Edition is preventing involvement in these connected communities we'll investigate as thoroughly as possible."

His username is DTG_Admin... Pretty sure he works for Dovetail.

Well, on the upside FSX finally works for those who have Windows 8.1 and can possible be officially supported by PMDG

I read on the Steam page that they "updated" it to work with Windows 8.1. I personally don't have it but I'm interested in knowing what they did, anyone know?

I wonder why N4gix's Acceleration(non-SE)  simconnect version is different than mine from installation of FSX Gold?  Don't know, and it doesn't matter, as long as everything works!  That is the lesson I'm taking from this topic:  if I have a good and stable installation of FSX, no reason to mess with a good thing by getting a Steam version just because it's the latest and greatest way of doing things.

I read on the Steam page that they "updated" it to work with Windows 8.1. I personally don't have it but I'm interested in knowing what they did, anyone know?

Here's the change log.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/626329820729615790/

There are a couple of fixes near the bottom of the list that mention Windows 7 or 8, as well as the UIautomationcore issue.

I'm impressed that the installation was painless, and FSX runs very, very well even with the few high-demand aircraft I've installed, with absolutely no 'tweaking' required.

I'm reading reviews on Steam that say the same thing about performance. I'm curious how a stock FSX from Steam runs compared to a fully optimized FSX w/ the usual tweaks. I know they added Highmemfix=1, so it's already been tweaked a bit on its own. But is there anything they did that could not be done the old school way with a CFG change? I'm particularly asking in relation to these changes they made:

* Increased Vertex and Index Buffers and the number of buffers. 
* Fix to particle emitter controllers which were not being updated properly.
* Fix to flush all levels of detail in terrain cache.

But is there anything they did that could not be done the old school way with a CFG change?

The very first item on the change list is definitely something that can only be done with the source code. Not sure how much of a boost it would give.

* FSX: Steam Edition is now built using the VS2013 compiler for better optimisation and performance. (Still makes use of VS2005 libraries for backwards compatibility.)

I doubt it's a different version of simconnect.

Yes, it is, but it's compatible with the one from FSX, in the same way as FSX Simconnect clients can connect to Prepar3D Simconnect, provided the FSX Simconnect runtime libraries are installed in the system, which is surely the case, if the standard FSX has been installed too.

That's why there's a Simconnect.MSI installer in the SDK\Core Utilities Kit\Simconnect SDK\Legacy Interfaces\FSX-XPACK folder: to allow backward compatibility with FSX addons that required the previous version of Simconnect, to work on a system that never had FSX installed.

I can't say if the FSX Steam edition installer automatically installs it ( it would be very smart if they did ), but at least the installer is there, in case of need.

Is there a requirement for Internet connectivity when running the FSX SE app?

Hi Bert, Normally, STEAM runs fully online, connected to the internet while the game is running (as there are in-game chat and workshop features for some games.

However, STEAM also has an 'Offline' mode that you can select in the STEAM GUI before launching your game.    So absolutely, it can run off-line, but it's default state is to run on-line.

Purchased but not yet downloading. Will see how it shapes out.

From EGFF to YSSY

Here's the change log.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/626329820729615790/

There are a couple of fixes near the bottom of the list that mention Windows 7 or 8, as well as the UIautomationcore issue.

The WIndows 7 "default color theme" problem I believe refers to the disabling of Aero. I'm running a tweaked FSX.exe that allows for aero theme to be used and it runs great - found the tweak on the forums. The UIAutomationcore fix has been around for a while too. Not saying the changes aren't worth it, but that those Windows 7-specific changes can be applied to older installs. 

Hi Bert, Normally, STEAM runs fully online, connected to the internet while the game is running (as there are in-game chat and workshop features for some games.

However, STEAM also has an 'Offline' mode that you can select in the STEAM GUI before launching your game.    So absolutely, it can run off-line, but it's default state is to run on-line.

OK, offline is possible, but you have to run STEAM before you can start up FSX SE, correct?

Bert