Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

I seem to recall that there are around six different versions of SimConnect that Pete needs to account for, not including the six ones that Prepar3D has so far.

It's possible this is due to the fact FSUIPC loads Simconnect explicitly, instead of relying on Windows Side-by-Side (which IS a mess, if something's wrong), but unless you NEED a specific Simconnect call that is only available on a specific version, clients are usually all compatible, without having to recompile because, provided the .DLL is installed and the Side-by-side system works normally, a client compiled, let's say, for Simconnect SP1, CAN connect to FSX SP2 and even P3D or FSX Steam edition.

It can only call such functions that are available in ITS version of the library, of course. If you need such functions, you must recompile and link against the new Simconnect, but then the client would not be able to connect with older servers UNLESS you dynamically load different Simconnect versions depending on the server found, which is what FSUIPC probably does, so it can both be used with FSX pre-SP2, but can also call SP2-specific and P3D-specific Simconnect functions.

OK, offline is possible, but you have to run STEAM before you can start up FSX SE, correct?

You can launch FSX first, but it will launch Steam simultaneously as well. Steam won't use any CPU resources, but it will eat up a few MB of RAM.

The WIndows 7 "default color theme" problem I believe refers to the disabling of Aero. I'm running a tweaked FSX.exe that allows for aero theme to be used and it runs great - found the tweak on the forums. The UIAutomationcore fix has been around for a while too. Not saying the changes aren't worth it, but that those Windows 7-specific changes can be applied to older installs. 

The difference is that you had to do it yourself, and Microsoft wouldn't provide any support for it. Now, presumably, Dovetail will fully support FSX on Windows 8 as they are providing those fixes.

Im going to create a ORBX utopia sim with this version. Just ORBX and VFR

DX10 ??

ZORAN

OK, offline is possible, but you have to run STEAM before you can start up FSX SE, correct?

No. You can launch FSX directly from the friendly and usual FSX Icon on your Desktop...

I can't say if the FSX Steam edition installer automatically installs it ( it would be very smart if they did ), but at least the installer is there, in case of need.

Umberto, as I said before I installed FSX:SE on a 'virgin' system. I can state with absolute certainty that only one version of SimConnect was installed to my ..\winsxs folder:

10.0.62607.0 (FSX 20141212-2206)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Umberto, as I said before I installed FSX:SE on a 'virgin' system. I can state with absolute certainty that only one version of SimConnect was installed to my ..\winsxs folder:

10.0.62607.0 (FSX 20141212-2206)

I did not expect anything different. When I said it would have been a smart move to install the FSX SP2 Simconnect too, I didn't had much hope they did it.

This means, everybody installing FSX SE on a virgin system, must install the FSX XPACK Simconnect libraries, in order to allow existing FSX Simconnect clients to connect to FSX SE.

It's the same in P3D, their installer comes with the FSX Simconnect libraries, but they don't install it automatically so, on a new system that never had FSX installed, FSX clients will not work unless the FSX libraries are installed too.

A bit of a nuisance but, since the library installer IS there in the SDK folder, I guess that nothing prevents a 3rd party installer to just RUN IT, at the end of the installation.

And I don't see any goats (yet)

But I bet it won't be long until someone creates a Flying Goat model for FSX for the Ultimate Goat Simulator FSX Steam Edition YEEEEE HAAAAAA GOing Mach 2.4 baby YEeaaahhhhhoooooo

:p0504:

Matthew Kane

Is there a requirement for Internet connectivity when running the FSX SE app?

Only to log you in as a steam user.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

And I don't see any goats (yet)

But I bet it won't be long until someone creates a Flying Goat model for FSX for the Ultimate Goat Simulator FSX Steam Edition YEEEEE HAAAAAA GOing Mach 2.4 baby YEeaaahhhhhoooooo

:p0504:

Don't mention the goats or the mods will begin monitoring this thread too

That's alright.....this hobby is full of fun in many ways, sometimes people forget that. 

Matthew Kane

That's about been played out dont ya think!

_Fullscreen mode now has Aero enabled. No more tearing and excellent performance

Wow over 1,000 people playing FSX:SE on Steam (1,015 people exactly when I checked). That is cool to see.

https://steamdb.info/app/314160/graphs/

$5 is a no brainer. My father is getting this so we can play together. He is also not cancelling the boxed Gold Edition that he just bought as well. He doesn't want to miss out on the $5 price and wants to see how the multiplayer works.

I'm installing this on my laptop that has NO disk drive. FSX:SE is already more convient as a digital download when you need it.

After downloading I'm going to test out ActiveSky Next. My father is getting ASN for Christmas, and I'm going to hand down my license of REX Essentials to him.

Another exciting moment for FSX. Now we have the DVD/CD version, digital, and P3D. There are some great options for flight simming.

I wonder if Steve's DX10 fixer will work . 

FSX dead? I-dont -think-so  :smile2: 

ZORAN

Wow over 1,000 people playing FSX:SE on Steam (1,015 people exactly when I checked). That is cool to see.

That could be misleading. Steam allows even games not purchased through Steam to be loaded into the app. You could add P3d if you wanted to.

Anyway, at that price I bought it, just to see if TacPack works with it. That's all that I use FSX for these days. And now for the ever popular double negative. No reason not to at those prices.