Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

I got a CTD upon initial opening.... :LMAO:

Second try performance was fine and all seemed well on Windows 8.1.

Ryan

Two results from testing with FSX-SE :

1). OpusFSX (original, not FSI) works perfectly with it.  I even copied my EXE.DLL file (that contains auto starting instructions for OpusFSX) and that worked perfectly too! ..... So Opus starts automatically when FSX-SE is started.

2). No problems at all with TrackIR, and as above, I have auto starting instructions for TrackIR in the EXE.DLL that I copied over from my 'boxed FSX' to my FSX-SE, and again, works fine!

Now........ I'm normally quite skeptical about those who scream, "performance is amazingly better!" within the first 5 mins of a new release but I have to say, I've tried out a basic flight, with much higher settings than I use on Boxed FSX, and my frame rates were very noticeably higher.        A lot more testing to do (especially with more addons)   - but I'm excited.

I think that with the changes they made, this could be the FS version for ATI users.    More on that to follow though, if it stacks up.

Guest tymk

Hi,

Like many, I'm thinking of getting this as a backup, plus I'd like to see if the fixes/recompilation they mentioned bring any tangible benefits. I'm also pretty sure developers will make their products compatible (if they aren't right now), but...

Has anyone had a chance to try RealityXP with the Steam Edition? I'm worried the version checks in RXP may prevent it from working in FSX: SE, and there's little chance the product is going to be made compatible if they do...

Tym

I'm pretty sure they do have access to the source code (else they would not even be able to refactor the multiplayer and fix all those bugs), it's just that Microsoft placed a restriction on how much they can interfere with it.

I'm wondering, do you know if Lockheed Martin have updated Prepar3D to VS2013 as well if it's supposed to bring better performance?

Yes LM are using the latest version of Visual Studio.

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

My only wish is PMDG 777-200 + REX4 + TrackIR works perfectly with steam version so i can show off my beautiful plane to online world.

f it's really more stable, no OOMs, better performance, then we absolutely don't need to fiddle with DX10, don't we? :)

FSX-SE does not have cockpit shadows or the benefits of running under DX10 such as better performance using bloom ect.

Glynn  - could we not replace the DX9 shaders using Steve's DX10 freeware pack or his DX10Fixer thing?

What would prevent that I wonder?

Phil

Another test;

- FSUIPC ; as previously reported by n4gix and others;  negative. Doesn't work.

FSUIPC: Installation is pretty much a no brainer. Move the DLL and KEY files into athe 'Modules' folder in the install folder, along with the INI and other related files and make the appropriate changes to the dll.xml file.

Paul

Nope.   That's exactly what I did.  As previously reported, it doesn't work and FSX-SE crashes because FSUIPC is not (yet) interfacing with this sim's Simconnect

In other news;-

REX4 Texture Direct - REX is able to point manually at FSX-SE's intallation and worked perfectly, copying all the new textures in to FSX-SE. 

Same here. With dx10 fixer it will be even better.

So you will wait till it is $40, when now you can get it for $5 ? You can get it now and use later.

My brain is not working today....Went out for xmas party last night. YES YES I buy it !!! You got me convinced. 

3 questions, if I may.

Mine will be a dual install...I currently have and use the DVD version.

1. Will the FSX steam desktop icon differ from the old retail version, or will it have to be launched from the root folder if I have FSX x 2?

2. Will Nvidea inspector recognise FSX Steam, in order to apply the VSych half refresh rate setting separately?

3. Will the FTX Global lights work okay if using FSX Steam in DX9 mode?

Maybe another quick question...I'm guessing that once FSX Steam is installed, any subsequent uninstalls of the DVD version will necessitate uninstalling FSX Steam also, as IT has to be installed AFTER the DVD version, correct?

Cheers, Mike.

Another update from testing:

RXP 430 / 530  - Neither work at present. The installer automatically points to FSX-SE's location (if you installed it after Boxed FSX), but there is a list of missing components, upon completion of the installation.    

On running FSX, and loading up a RXP-equipped aircraft, FSX-SE crashes to desktop. :(

Seeing as RXP is no longer supported,  I doubt we will see RXP working for FSX-SE.

Well, a statement from Pete Dowson about the fsuipc direct from their forums:

Unfortunately my development PC finally died this afternoon. There's been an intermittent mobo fault on it for a while and Ihave a replacement PC on the way, but it isn't due till next Tuesday, and by then I will be tied up with family for Christmas.

Then I'm away till 4th Jan. I'll get on to FSXSE as soon as I can after that, but it'll take me a day or two to get the new PC into shape -- and re-download FSXSE.

So, sorry , it could be around 9th Jan by the time I have something.

Sent from my iPhone!

Pete 
  •  
  •  

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/78250-new-fsxsteam-edition-does-not-work-with-fsuipc4/

Verdict so far:

My weather engine (Open clouds) worked fine with no changes which is what I expect as it works with all versions of P3D. So if your addon uses standard simconect then you should be fine.

The networking side of multiplayer has changed considerably, not sure if it's encrypted now but these differences is why it's not possible to join up between the standard and steam versions of the game. You will need to open and forward UDP 6112 and 27016 if you want to host.

Also, the old bug in multiplayer was players would join in a glider and spawn lots of towplanes by requesting a tow then releasing it. This bug seems to be there still. I left a session open for an hour to return and find it was running extremely slowly, suspect because of this exploit.