Sign in to follow this  
Ebs

FSX Steam Released! (80% off sale?)

Well... TacPack doesn't work in FSX Steam and VRS is not sure when they can fix it. I should have bought coffee and donuts with my $5.

All the stuff will..soon.  Look at the response to the announcement.  I'll bet you that everybody that runs FSX currently, WILL purchase the .SE edition. At the sale price, you'd have to be NUTS not to....   It's an FSX insurance policy...and we all know, this version will be supported. This is the 'new' 'official' version...and FSX is renewed in commerce.  Like I said, we ALL will purchase this...and DoveTail/STEAM knows it...for why else the unbelievable price as bait.   There are those that (like you and me...will have stated they grabbed a copy) will state they did...and those that have, but will not...(for whatever reason?!?!?!?)   I now have the er...'Gold' edition, where before, only the RTM Deluxe.  All in all...a most happy camper.

P.S.   That coffee, would be going through the kidneys right about now...the doughnut..well..you know...but FSX.SE is here to stay. Your money was better spent... :lol:

I think I'm not going to buy it just because all the people cheeleading for it have gotten on my nerves! :angry:  I suppose if a future need arises, then given what I've spent on FS all these years, if I have to pay 15 or 20 for it, instead of 5, then that won't hurt too much.  I do not have P3D.  I have FSX, but I consider it virtually complete now.  Maybe if things smooth out, and the rumors of performance gains turn out to be true, and not placebo, then I'll reconsider, but only if they are substantial and universal.  Right now, even that mere $5 could be put to better use.

Very true actually but a $4.99 paper weight for users that will move to P3D

Not for those who wish not to spend 100's for entertainment!

Took out my Insurance Policy but not installing until I need to re-install FSX

Jason Richards

Downloading as we speak, but with my super slow connection it will be ready sometime tomorrow.  <_< I really can't wait to try multiplayer again!

I think I'm not going to buy it just because all the people cheeleading for it have gotten on my nerves! :angry:  I suppose if a future need arises, then given what I've spent on FS all these years, if I have to pay 15 or 20 for it, instead of 5, then that won't hurt too much.  I do not have P3D.  I have FSX, but I consider it virtually complete now.  Maybe if things smooth out, and the rumors of performance gains turn out to be true, and not placebo, then I'll reconsider, but only if they are substantial and universal.  Right now, even that mere $5 could be put to better use.

"Here's a shotgun...now...where's your foot?"   :rolleyes:

Took out my Insurance Policy but not installing until I need to re-install FSX

I haven't installed yet, either.  But..I have to tell ya...the more I read...about what's working....the finger is getting ansy....

The problem with that statement is that you DON'T know that. You don't know how your performance will be on the SE because you haven't tried it.

The little non-multiplayer tweaks don't mean squat to me. And the .cfg entries I have had for years including the 4096 setting. I have NEVER had an OOM, never had a menu crash. My FSX could care less if the terrain cache is flushed out or not.

My stock SE performance would be exactly the same as if I had to do a clean Deluxe/Acceleration installation because that's what SE is: FSX Acceleration. People read the change log and wet their pants. I read the change log and understand what it really means for MY FSX: nothing!

How about re-installs? I have re-installed my FSX/Acceleration exactly 3 times since the beginning of the FSX Beta Testing cycle, and one of those times is when I changed computers, so nothing will change FOR ME there!

Your MS disks are going to go bad? My RTM Gold disks sit on a shelf, fully backed up and my Acceleration has been downloaded and saved before MS pulled the Beta download. My keys are written down and stored with the rest of my FSX information. If I forget those, well I won't remember how to use FSX either so it won't make a difference.

For others, SE may be the greatest thing because THEY did/do have problems with MS FSX, and for the FS community it can be very good for new exposure. And if people want it for a back up, fantastic!! I understand that Steam is great for that!

I'm sure this will all get picked apart and misquoted, but I am always prepared for that!! AND I AM NOW ON VACATION FOR THE NEXT 16 DAYS!!!!

I got it as well. Paid most expensive version in € :)

what puzzles me is what is the future of fsx-se vs p3d ?

LM invested considersble effort for v2 and dx11. I know because i studied their sdk in depth and i love the way they change the sdk to be more open and useful.

What worries me that in a year from now we'll have two sdk going into different directions though originating from the same source. Not a nice perspective for addons builders and simmers as well. It might be nobody uses anything specific and sticks to common but old sdk ...

What hit me most is that i assumed LM bought exclusive license. Looks I was wrong ...

What hit me most is that i assumed LM bought exclusive license. Looks I was wrong ...

You are, LM bought ESP the commercial version of the FSX engine, Dovetail seem to have bought the rights to distribute FSX, the 'entertainment' simulator.  ESP was open to anybody with sufficient cash, i don't think LM were the only people who bought ESP.

It's probably fair to say that Dovetail and LM are not in direct competition. 

Ian R Tyldesley

What worries me that in a year from now we'll have two sdk going into different directions though originating from the same source. Not a nice perspective for addons builders and simmers as well. It might be nobody uses anything specific and sticks to common but old sdk ...

Think good point to bring fragmentation is concern I have too. It could create confusion and muddy the waters.

At 5€, FSX:SE does offer quite a lot more bang for the buck than a Gin Tonic or Cocktail...I went for it.

Think good point to bring fragmentation is concern I have too. It could create confusion and muddy the waters.

I'm pretty sure that there's no difference in the FSXSE SDK from the Acceleration version. And updates to the SDK are pretty improbable regarding that MS apparently forbade tinkering with the source code.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

I'm confused as well. Does Microsoft still own the exclusive rights to the source code? If so, can we expect more people to perhaps be allowed to distribute FSX, like Burger King or something.

Does anybody know if the FlightReal 64 bit conversion works with FSX-SE too? :lol: 

What's really funny about this whole thing? Seeing adult men (I think most are) trying to justify why they do or don't need to purchase a $5 piece of software. Simply hilarious!          

My thoughts exactly :D

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q