Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

FSX STEAM OR WAIT FOR P3D 64BIT?

A question:

The $5 is very reasonable.  My concern is that FSX-SE will affect my present CD installation of FSX.  Are my concerns justified?  Can I have them both on the same machine?  Any replies appreciated.

Jim Elder

It is apparently no problem to have a dual install.  Maybe the problem comes when you try to install multiple copies of addons into multiple installations.  That gives me the shivers trying to manage that, with all the addon scenery and planes and such.

A question:

The $5 is very reasonable.  My concern is that FSX-SE will affect my present CD installation of FSX.  Are my concerns justified?  Can I have them both on the same machine?  Any replies appreciated.

Jim Elder

Hello Jim,

I was 'on the fence' waiting to see how things shaped up with folks doing the side-by-side install. Iwas very concerned that my many, many hours of 'customization' of my FSX install might be in jeprody.

However, after reading numerous forum posts I decided to download and install FSX-SE as I have purchased it during the first 'sale'.

I had previously set up a 2nd user account for a P3D V2.4 installation. Again, I wanted that kept completely separate from my FSX install primarily so that my A2A aircraft DAT file save states would be sim-specific. Having the 2 user accounts handled that.

Yesterday I installed FSX-SE on my 2nd user account which was actually a 'clone' of my primary account. Thus the regitry entries for my FSX install were present in that account.

The FSX-SE installer saw the presence of FSX and went on to create the new unique registry entries and I now have that sim up and running. I am in the process of doing my customization of FSX-SE in the realm of sharing my Addon Scenery folder, my OZX scenery folder and the majority of my OrbX folders. All three of those entities reside on their own partitions and get 'mounted' in the empty folders by the same name in my FSX directory, my P3D director and now my FSX-SE directory, thus saving about 180 GB of disk space!

So, go ahead with the side-by-side install. You can create a 'SteamLibrary' folder wherever you want it...it does not need to be in the Steam folder that is created when you install Steam. Point the installed to that folder and it will get palced inside the SteamLibrary\steamapps\common folder.

Several layers in than I would prefer but that is the best one can do. ( My FSX is located in the root of my X: Drive as X:\FSX )

For installing OrbX initially into FSX-SE before removing the folders and creating links to my O:OrbX folders, I did change the regisrty entry that points to the FSX install path. That now points, temporarioly, to my FSX-SE install path. This is done since the OrbX installers will not see FSX-SE otherwise and try to install back into FSX.

With that registry entry chaged I can go ahead and also install ,y A2A aircraft without having to jump through any additional hoops.

The key I modified is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0

SetupPath"="X:\\FSX\\

I changed the setupPath entry to point to my FSX-SE install

SetupPath"="L:\\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\\

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

off topic:  Were you a C-121 pilot?

Negative. Crew Member...Electronics Technician...300+ missions in SE Asia during 2 6-month TDY tours in 66'-67'.

Wide-5.jpg

Paul:

Thanks for your help.  I am not familiar with replying, and sent my thanks to the administrator.  I appreciate the time that you took to post your reply.

Jim Elder