Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

FSX STEAM OR WAIT FOR P3D 64BIT?

Hi guys so i am stuck as to wether i should install fsx steam and addons or wait for p3d 64bit but the question also arises will they make all my addons compatible with p3d 64bit?

Fsx as for now tweaked is perfectly running fine

Any advise is appreciated

Thanks

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Do you want simulated flight or would you rather tinker with new installations that will, in the short term, deliver the same experience, give or take a few addons? And I realize that for many here, tinkering does seem to be the point of all of this.

If your current FSX installation is delivering what you want, then stick with it until something that's actually and demonstrably better arrives. But that's just what I think...

With FSX: Steam at $5 on sale I would suggest purchasing if you want FSX with multiplayer or if you don't already own it. You could still get Prepar3D later.

You could wait, but for $5, you could install FSX-SE now and enjoy using it now while we wait for a 64 bit P3D.

I have no idea, but I don't think we will see a 64 bit P3D for at least another year (and maybe even longer).

P3D 32 bit addons  will not be compatible when a 64 bit P3D comes out, so if the choice is between FSX SE or waiting, I would get FSX SE and have fun using it  :)

Fsx as for now tweaked is perfectly running fine

There's the answer!

Thanks for the input guys

Guess ill be staying with fsx

i dunno im still leaning over to try p3d

Its not the money but paying just to use multiplayer is stupid i am currently on vatsim anyways

Its not just multi player. There are a lot of reports on better performance especially OOMS with no tweaking

You dont know even if there will be a P3d 64bit or if current add ons would be compatible. If they are I will be straight there faster than a dog shot in the arse and put my $5 down to a bad financial decision  :rolleyes:

$5 dollars wasted, is still $5 wasted..

If you want something new to play with, by all means, go for it!

If you have a well running FSX install, why screw it all up?

I have no idea, but I don't think we will see a 64 bit P3D for at least another year (and maybe even longer).

Good guess but probably more like 2 years would be my guess and even then developers would have to make the 64bit compatible products and we know how long that takes so we are talking some serious time before seeing a P3D 64bit version main stream

$5 dollars wasted, is still $5 wasted..

If you want something new to play with, by all means, go for it!

If you have a well running FSX install, why screw it all up?

Buying FSX SE does not screw up your FSX install. I am going to run them side by side to see what the difference is. $5 is less than most spend on a cup of coffee that ends up down stream later. I think it is worth a look. FSDT's addons all will work with no fuss. I am sure others will follow. 

Good guess but probably more like 2 years would be my guess and even then developers would have to make the 64bit compatible products and we know how long that takes so we are talking some serious time before seeing a P3D 64bit version main stream

Yeah and by that time we will have 128 bit operating systems.  :blink:

I hope that there is still a push to get true SLI support for P3D.  That is more important to me than 64 bit. 

Buying FSX SE does not screw up your FSX install. I am going to run them side by side to see what the difference is. $5 is less than most spend on a cup of coffee that ends up down stream later. I think it is worth a look. FSDT's addons all will work with no fuss. I am sure others will follow.

Yeah and by that time we will have 128 bit operating systems. :blink:

And fsx will still be 32 bit, right?

$5 dollars is not wasted where there's an opportunity that it may run better for you than the boxed version.  It does have some fixes and changes and no they're not all just FSX.CFG tweaks - for example, HIGHMEMFIX has been integrated, but it's not in the FSX_SE.CFG file, so it's integrated into one of FSX's DLLs I guess.    Also, there is the possibility that Dovetail will make further improvements and changes.       P3D is not the automatic replacement for FSX, otherwise every FSX user would by now have moved to P3D.   For ATI card users, P3D2 really does not run well at all (same goes for XP10 64bit BTW).  No Supersampling AA, and poor performance and frame rates.

There's no right answer, we're all just offering opinions but I'd say $5 is too good an opportunity to miss, to buy into a version of FSX that is in the custodianship of a current developer / vendor.

wether i should install fsx steam and addons or wait for p3d 64bit

Why not ask FSX steam or the now available P3D ? Is FSX steam really better than the current P3D ?  Do we not have everything offered in FSX steam in P3D already. I mean things like fixed bug in FSX and better performance ?

By all means, wait for P3d 64-bit... and wait, and wait, and wait...  :lol:

$5 for FSX if you already own it, is $5 wasted as well. Perhaps multi-player enthusiasts will have a reason to buy in, but for everyone else, welcome to the world of Flight Sim Tweaking... pointless tinkering with software and hardware.

Dick

$5 for FSX if you already own it, is $5 wasted as well. Perhaps multi-player enthusiasts will have a reason to buy in, but for everyone else, welcome to the world of Flight Sim Tweaking... pointless tinkering with software and hardware.

I'm amazed at the number of people who already have FSX installed, have a perfectly usable DVD but have chosen to buy and install a virtually identical version of FSX and with Steam running in the background. How long before fingers are pointed at that for causing CTDs?

SSD space wasted too. Which of the two versions do you now fly? No functioning FSUIPC4 until January. And for what? Multi-player pilots can probably justify the outlay. Not sure why anyone else has bothered. Just because it's $5? The Microsoft servers for FSX registration will be running for many years yet.

Quite honestly, that money would have been better spent on an AvSim donation.

And to answer the OP's question... neither. Stay with non-Steam FSX until P3D is more mature then make the switch. Even a 32-bit P3D will be better than FSX-SE providing you have suitable hardware. 64-bit P3D is a long way off still.

I agree with Ray - other than the fact that we, as simmers, by nature always seem to spend $$ on new things just in case they MIGHT be a little better. Personally I see it as a step backward from P3D but for some, who have problems with FSX, it may be a step forward.

I find it amusing in that it has been out for a day and already I'm reading various claims of how it solved this issue and that problem etc. They made some minor improvements to enable FSX to operate in the Steam model. They did not do a complete redesign and, fro what I have read, do not have any plans to do so.

That said, for $5 - go for it but be aware it is not the Holy Grail.

Vic

And fsx will still be 32 bit, right?

What's your point? They are not waiting for FSX its here. P3D 64 bit is Vaporware.

As Shakespeare would probably say about this situation; "Much Ado About Nothing".

If the new owners had given out more info about future plans, I think it would be worthwhile on those merits. At $5, the cost is really just insurance that "their version" will eventually perform better than the current CD-Based patched version.

Do we not have everything offered in FSX steam in P3D already. I mean things like fixed bug in FSX and better performance ?

\/  \/  \/  \/

[........] P3D is not the automatic replacement for FSX, otherwise every FSX user would by now have moved to P3D.   For ATI card users, P3D2 really does not run well at all (same goes for XP10 64bit BTW).  No Supersampling AA, and poor performance and frame rates.