Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

FSX STEAM OR WAIT FOR P3D 64BIT?

Mine isn't so Im just letting you know your comment regarding lack of donations isn't correct

But I didn't point a finger at any individual. Good on you for donating.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

What about getting anti-aliassing working nicely though?

If you're running 1080p or less I'd recommend using SGSS AA or DSR.  SGSS AA settings I've used in the past (I don't any more since upgrade to 4K) can be found here: http://www.robainscough.com/P3D_2_3WY6.php ... use 4X rather than 8X if you encounter FPS issues in clouds.

I don't know what "most folks" do with P3D, but I've covered the entire spectrum from heli, to VFR to IFR, to long hauls and have numerous videos on all aspects of flight and type of flying.

prepar3d defender 

Do you have a problem with accurate information?  Just correcting the endless "folk-lore" about P3D and since this thread title contains P3D it would seem appropriate.

I'm perfectly happy to see where FSX:SE, and P3D, and XP10 64bit all end up long term.

But what I see in the community (which is a partial representation and certainly not the only) is what I've always seen ... end user platform fighting for 3rd party support ... people will post hopelessly inaccurate information in the hope someone will read it and take it as "word".  In some cases this ploy works, people will blindly follow other people they don't know and have never met and in some cases have never used the product for which they claim knowledge.

I can only answer the OP's question this way:  a single investment will lock you into a product ... key being "locked" ... is that something you want?  

Flight Simulator platforms are going to change (FSX:SE, XP10, P3D) and along with that change existing products may or may not work until they are updated.  The only platform that is definitely NOT going to change is FSX - this has been a huge luxury for 3rd party because the target has remained the same (in the business world of software development this rarely happens, target change is constant and something I have to deal with).  

In some cases the 3rd party updates will never happen because the developers responsible for the product have moved on to other things in life (most likely because the sales numbers were too small to substantiate the work put into the product).  If 3rd party feels they can NOT sell that product in the changed platform they will not update the product or they will request compatibility with platform devs, which may or may not happen.

As for my opinion and what I think of FSX:SE ... there isn't significant change yet over P3D to warrant my interest ... for me it would be a step backwards.  

Cheers, Rob.

As for my opinion and what I think of FSX:SE ... there isn't significant change yet over P3D to warrant my interest ... for me it would be a step backwards.

Yep, I can see the logic of that statement (if I had Prepar3D). Lockheed's mandate seems a more fleshed out long term solution.

However, I note that Steam is offering 50 percent off X Plane 10 - at the moment - so pushed the button and am downloading the base version now... and will keep FSX and re look at Prepar3D in a while.. really just putting a toe in the water of X Plane 64bit  - pros and cons aside.

How do cloud shadows, tessellation, HDR, an volumetric fog look in FSX:SE? ;)

All we need now are the XPlane 10 defenders to round out this "my sim does this better than yours" discussion.  Seems that too much excitement about an improvement in FSX must have its enthusiasm dampened by those "who know better".

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Thanks. I'll take a look. What about getting anti-aliassing working nicely though? airports looks really poor in P3D.

I use DSR in P3D with very good results Pete (and with minimal impact on performance, even in heavy clouds).  

Having run all three in parallel for a short while (for curiosity sake!), I can say that I'm glad there's some life in the old girl yet, but wasn't a convincing argument to go from MS:FSX (I was using DX10) to FSX:SE. However, there was (obviously) no comparison to the visual and performance differences in P3D.

Alot of positive feed back from people using fsx steam but i think its a little early

Going to wait and see what u guys have to say once addons like pmdg 777 300 orbx global vector lc and numerous other addons have been tested and see how the sim performs before making the switch

All we need now are the XPlane 10 defenders to round out this "my sim does this better than yours" discussion. Seems that too much excitement about an improvement in FSX must have its enthusiasm dampened by those "who know better".

Hey Rod, after I have installed it and played around with it I'll come back here and add to the debate if anyone can be bothered reading it  - meantime, you have a lovely Xmas....

Download link for the free trial?

P3D offers a 28 day (or 30 day - something like that) refund if it does not meet your expectations.

Ian S

38.jpg

The title of this thread is FSX STEAM OR WAIT FOR P3D 64BIT? FSX Steam exists and is available - Prepar3D doesn't exist and may never be available.

What have I been using?!? :)

i obviously meant to say Prepar3d 64-bit.

It will be interesting to see how SFX-SE performs a year from now.

In an exchange with Pete Dowson on the FSUIPC forum, one of the SFX-SE developers said: "Unlike previously (largely static) versions of FSX, the FSX:SE version is going to be updated on a regular basis with improvements, bug-fixes and so on".

So I'm mildly optimistic.

Al

It will be interesting to see how SFX-SE performs a year from now.

In an exchange with Pete Dowson on the FSUIPC forum, one of the SFX-SE developers said: "Unlike previously (largely static) versions of FSX, the FSX:SE version is going to be updated on a regular basis with improvements, bug-fixes and so on".

So I'm mildly optimistic.

Al

That will be a living hell for Pete. At least the P3D 'updates' are not too frequent but they also impose entra work for Pete and, as is sometimes the case, open the door for issues to arise in an FSX install due to some unforseen interaction of a recent chnage to the FSUIPC code.

OTOH, updates to enhance the FSX-SE entity will, no doubt, be welccomed by most simmers.

As a retired engineer, I always subscribe to the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". Unfortunately FSX has a LOT of 'broken' areas and FSX-SE will need a lots of fixes.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

That will be a living hell for Pete. At least the P3D 'updates' are not too frequent but they also impose entra work for Pete and, as is sometimes the case, open the door for issues to arise in an FSX install due to some unforseen interaction of a recent chnage to the FSUIPC code.

Paul

Trying to find a way to reduce the workload on Pete was discussed. Pete had some suggestions on how that might be done. We shall see what happens!

Al

All we need now are the XPlane 10 defenders to round out this "my sim does this better than yours" discussion.

XP10 wasn't mentioned in the thread title so why would they?

Seems that too much excitement about an improvement in FSX must have its enthusiasm dampened by those "who know better".

How does FSX:SE enthusiasm justify inaccurate and/or partial information about P3D?

Cheers, Rob.