Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

FSX Steam Edition terrain.dll crash

UPDATE: Tried Bojote's tweak and still crashed, AI had no effect either, and have been testing Pete's changes with FSUIPC (bless him) but as we all know, nothing has yet remedied this. 

Was reading (or rather entertained by) some Steam forum folks that were arguing and one kept insisting to lower graphics settings. Thought...'what the heck?'

Currently I have the longest cross country USA flight in the history of my version of FSX:SE going. Have never before made it from JFK to ORD, but have just passed Chicago and will continue westbound. The big change was to mesh complexity, which is full left although I did lower some others. That is the only setting that is totally minimized.

Anyway, perhaps this will only delay the dreaded terrain.dll thing, who knows, but so far so good.         

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Was reading (or rather entertained by) some Steam forum folks that were arguing and one kept insisting to lower graphics settings. Thought...'what the heck?'

This is what I had recommended in Post #2 here.  It's also in the AVSIM CTD Guide as a probable solution.  We did in-depth research of this error throughout the flight simulation community and this was the solution we found that worked for almost everyone who tried it.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

This is what I had recommended in Post #2 here.  It's also in the AVSIM CTD Guide as a probable solution.  We did in-depth research of this error throughout the flight simulation community and this was the solution we found that worked for almost everyone who tried it.

Best regards,

Right, I did see that post but my reasoning was that since FSX:MS has no such crashes for me, then it should not or cannot apply, so I ignored it.

Anyway...over 4 hours of jetlining around the country with stops in KDSM and KIAD: still going great. On the way to KBOS and then I'll move that slider a notch to the right. Thanks for the helpful post. This is by far the longest I've flown with SE without a crash, so things are looking good.     

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

I'm just happy to see that someone is confirming the probable cause of this crash and I appreciate your input.  Hopefully it will help others and that's our goal to make flight simming a more enjoyable hobby for all.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Latest update to FSX Steam -  My journey since installation 6 weeks + ago

PMDG 777 steam version  over. 7 hours flying no terrain dll crash or OOM (test flight non virtual airline)

PMDG 737 NGX Steam version. YPPH to YSSY Perth to Sydney 3 hours and 56 and no terrain DLL or OOM  crash.(virtual airline)

Before i would only get about 2 hours.

some key events

1. FSX SE updates I believe beta version is running on my computer.

2. deleted the FSX.cong file and let FSX rebuild it using graphic and scenery that Fsx rebuild created.

3. Frame rate 30 FPS (steam has a tab in settings to show frame rate display on your monitor)

4. VAs usage on Setup of flight at gate 2123450 remaining ram on landing around 1345678 VRAM remaining.

6. Very smooth.

7. need to turn off Steam services to fly offline only tried this once once FSX loaded. It  worked I havent attempted a long flight.

windows pro 10 MSi laptop with FSX steam on SSD drive GTX 860M native monitor.

Seems like this Beta version bugs are being ironed out. Recommend let FSx rebuild config file (back up if your worried)before trying all sorts of tweeks. i suppose everyone may have diffrent views on this.  :rolleyes:

Hi

I do not have currently any of ORBX products installed on Steam. I have them but not installed. I am waiting when ORBX will issues official installer for Steam. I had not any dll related crashes before but recently I tried SUper tweaker from SE community and it increased mesh and scenery complexity automatically bc that small program detects my PC is powerful enough to do that ( I have top end PC). After 40 min I got CTD with faulting module dll. So Looks to me high scenery settings could be an issues. I lowered it and it works fine. SO I think ORBX products might not be ba 100% issue here.

Thx   

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”