Sign in to follow this  
KL791

Global AI Ship Traffic FSX and P3D News and Support

I think it's about time I downloaded this little package :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Your work Henrik...is sorta getting downright eerie!!!   I mean,...they look REAL...real life ships.  Geez!

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

I hope they do :lol: and well, I think I have come to the point where I can start compiling the new routes - only problem the weekend is over :wacko:

Below a Discovery Channel video on one of the new ships - the Akamalik - a giant shrimp trawler from Greenland

15041907530516112913186588.jpg

ShipSpotting.com

1576123.jpg

© Willem Harlaar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpyJyJWFmt0

I uninstalled my AI traffic, and seems it was the one that caused I couldn't see the AI ships. Now I will go on some ship spotting to see what I have missed out on, BUT I hate seeing empty airports so the ai planes will be installed again later, as I'd rather have "empty" seas than empty airports.

I have seen in the aiship packages some routes where the ships can be found, but is there a "timetable" where departure harbour AND departure time can be seen, to figure out where and when there's a chance of seeing AI ship traffic?

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

I've been using this for a few weeks now, and I continue to be delighted by the ship traffic. Thanks to everyone involved with this project for your outstanding work and for your generosity in making this wonderful package available for free.

I uninstalled my AI traffic, and seems it was the one that caused I couldn't see the AI ships. Now I will go on some ship spotting to see what I have missed out on, BUT I hate seeing empty airports so the ai planes will be installed again later, as I'd rather have "empty" seas than empty airports.

I have seen in the aiship packages some routes where the ships can be found, but is there a "timetable" where departure harbour AND departure time can be seen, to figure out where and when there's a chance of seeing AI ship traffic?

Hi Jorn, I am sure you have an installation problem which can be solved - I am booked out at work and travelling this week, so no chance to help before the weekend on that one.

And no - there are no schedules available - and even decompiling the files will not help a lot as it will only give you start and end times for the routes which are some in many cases 4000 km long and contain up to 42 vessels. So what you should do is to fly in the areas which also in real world have more traffic density - the English Channel, the Strait of Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Singapore, Panama,... there you will also find the corresponding AI traffic. And visit the different places on different days as the traffic is different for each day of the week in most places...

Hi everyone

How  can I see the ai ships. Is that possible I can see them over the oceans if I fly at lower altitudes? Until now I have not seen the AI ships while flying for several times across the Pacific ( from Sydney to Honolulu) and the Atlantic (from London to New York).

Hi

You will normally not see any ships mid-ocean - in order not to create unnecessary stress on computers and loading time by adding traffic, where most people would be at 36000 feet the routes are kept mostly to the coastal areas

14112204323716112912727516.jpg

however you should have traffic at both Sydney and Honolulu if you have the last pack 179 AI Ships... installed - New York is covered in routes for the US East Coast which will be updated now, and London is covered by several of the packages.

Below routes for Hawaii.

14112508542516112912739982.jpg

13083108201816112911513427.jpg

Hi

Sorry to pester, but I never really received an answer to a question I posed a couple of weeks back. How do you achieve those close up views of the ships. Do I need to fly in something low and slow and just fly past or is there any easier way similar to viewing AI Aircraft? Thanks again for all your hard work.

cheers

Ian

Ian S

38.jpg

Hi

Sorry to pester, but I never really received an answer to a question I posed a couple of weeks back. How do you achieve those close up views of the ships. Do I need to fly in something low and slow and just fly past or is there any easier way similar to viewing AI Aircraft? Thanks again for all your hard work.

cheers

Ian

You could fly near one...and then pause...and use your '+' key to zoom the view in...or keep flying and do the same zoom-in viewing....in live time.

Or use "Y" to go to slew mode - and then drag the camera slowly without changing altitude - Ole actually did post an answer to you  - look in post 230 - it is him who did the videos.

Hi

Thanks for that, yes I did notice that reply but didn't  understand it properly, I thought it related more to the video recording technique. I'll experiment a bit with this slew mode.

Thanks again, Ian

Ian S

38.jpg

First off,  a big "Thank you!" to Henrik and the AI Ships team!

I recently loaded my European Orbx regions into a new installation of 2.5, as well as the full set of packages and patches for the AI ship traffic. Loaded in a check-out flight plan from Edinburgh down to the Isle of Man, the scenic coastal route. To my delight I encountered a ship sailing out of the Edinburgh channel, and then a cruise ship turning around near Glasgow.

Very cool. Looking forward to returning to the Puget Sound area - should be a fair number of ships plying the water there!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Thanks :lol: The West Coast traffic package also covers the Puget Sound so you will definitely also find traffic there - however it is one of the areas I want to update as the US West Coast pack only benefits from around 140 of the now more than 500 ships available for the project

Hi

cheers

Ian

Hi Ian, not sure what you want to achieve, but if you just want to study the ships or take photos, here is one way to do it:

• If you haven't got it already, install the freeware 'BOB' from FTX. You'll find on the bottom of this page: https://fullterrain.com/freeware
  • Start at any airport near the ships
  • Adjust zoom to your liking (If you want the ships to look proportionally OK, don't go under 0.8)
  • Check in your control settings which keyboard buttons are bound to Slew movement (forward/backward/sideways/up/down/pan)
  • Like Captain Henrik said: Hit 'Y' to go into slew mode
  • Use the slew buttons to move around, find the ships and study/screenshot them. I normally go 3-4000 feet up and start following the coast at a whopping 2000 knots. At that speed you'll find the ships quickly. If you see a small moving object down there, dive in..

If you want "real" photos, ie from a cockpit or outside a plane, you could use the same technique.

Just make sure engines are started when going into Slew (otherwise you would have non-moving propellers in your photos).

Hope that helps.