Sign in to follow this  
Airline2Sim

FSX Steam Edition Update

While I'm loving that FSX is being updated again, I'm a little bit skeptical about the upgrade process.

Are we going to have to update ALL our add-ons every time there's an update to FSX SE? I don't see how this will work.

Not sure yet, but brace yourself. Steam updates have a tendency to overwrite modified files. Some strategic backuping may be in order.

Not sure yet, but brace yourself. Steam updates have a tendency to overwrite modified files. Some strategic backuping may be in order.

I remember reading somewhere that this is similar to whenever LM updated P3D

While I'm loving that FSX is being updated again, I'm a little bit skeptical about the upgrade process.

Are we going to have to update ALL our add-ons every time there's an update to FSX SE? I don't see how this will work.

A lot of the differences are just install-related, which, once overcome by the add-on developers, should certainly be stable. But there are some add-ons like FSUIPC, GSX, AES, ASN and probably the more sophisticated aircraft which do take advantage of some of the FS inner workings. So, yes, maybe in the short term this will be a problem.

DTG want to work with such add-on makers to deal with this in a more sanitory way. So, yes, short-term problems, long term bright future, I think. Just my opinion of course based on what I see and hear.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

So, yes, short-term problems, long term bright future, I think. Just my opinion of course based on what I see and hear.

Pete, coming from you, what else can I say other than that I am really looking forward for even better experiences than I have so far been able to get with FSX SE. 

For me, so far so good / excellent as a matter of fact!  It performs smoother and certainly more stable than FSX Gold used as I do, with Aerowinx PSX.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Uninstaller since July 2012 when MS ceased development of MS FLIGHT...

Im new here, new to the FS thing because I saw it on Steam. Looking forward to learning a new hobby. Its good to see a person like Pete making positive statements about DTG FSX-SE, I was reading the guy on the PMDG forum basically  saying  DTG don't know what their doing. That is discouraging.

You'll read all kinds of different perspectives on this stuff.  The flightsim crowd is a fickle and finicky and somewhat obsessive one.  Perspectives vary considerably largely based on the specific circumstances under which a person is using the sim.  Everybody has a different system, a different set of requirements from the sim, and a different set of expectations.  For me, having come directly to FSX-SE from FS2004 after taking a break from the hobby for a few years, I can say that FSX-SE is a fantastic sim that performs quite well for me on my laptop with the sliders cranked up pretty darned high.  I think DTG has a reasonable idea of what they are doing...

I don't see this post on their Facebook page, not saying it doesn't exist, I just don't see it, but then again I'm not Facebook savvy. 

Just wanted to tell Dovetail Games, they are doing excellent work.  If the original FSX was released in the condition that DTG has released FSX-SE, it would have been nearly perfect.  One thing I'd personally like to see, but may never happen is to have reworked precip effects, as I and no one else think that they are at all realistic.  I'm very excited for the update and hope that it doesn't mess anything up as I have some addons installed.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

I wonder what other things they might be able to implement in the future :)

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

I've already noticed a performance increase around my test scenario. 19 FPS to about 24 FPS. Could be just an outlier, but damn it feels nice.

Better performance in my initial tests too,...May have to check repeatedly to avoid placebo effects though.

Iñigo Bildarratz

UPDATE RELESEAD !

FSUIPC 4.938c is working with the updated FSX-SE (as well as the earlier one). It's available now. FSUIPC 4.938b won't work properly and may even crash FSX-SE after the update.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen