Sign in to follow this  
Aviators

Prepar3D v2.5 Development Update

That's what I read somewhere in the Prepar3D forums, that fixing the bug is a matter of modifying a few lines of code.

Please provide a link to the source of this information ... I have information to contrary.

Terrain shadows are all done on the GPU in real time from tessellated terrain.  I typically don't operate with Terrain shadows on because it can overload my GPU and introduce stutters, but I have done testing before with Terrain shadows and NOT experienced poor quality.

But just so you are aware it's solely an operation of the GPU ... implications are driver issues (mis-matched drivers, I'm guilty of that error), shader file changes that caused GPU rendering issues, or shader file changes without deleting the shader folders, any 3rd party products that adjust graphics settings on the fly.

Cheers, Rob.

Please provide a link to the source of this information ... I have information to contrary.

Terrain shadows are all done on the GPU in real time from tessellated terrain.  I typically don't operate with Terrain shadows on because it can overload my GPU and introduce stutters, but I have done testing before with Terrain shadows and NOT experienced poor quality.

But just so you are aware it's solely an operation of the GPU ... implications are driver issues (mis-matched drivers, I'm guilty of that error), shader file changes that caused GPU rendering issues, or shader file changes without deleting the shader folders, any 3rd party products that adjust graphics settings on the fly.

It was said somewhere in the Prepar3D forums many months ago, shortly after 2.4's release. I'll try to look for it but don't expect me to find it.

As for the dark spots, they occur only when you have both cloud shadows and terrain shadows on. If you have only one of the two enabled, the problem does not appear.

Assuming you are still a beta tester, can you ping them about the issue in case they aren't aware of it? Since it looks like 2.6 is not on the horizon, it would be great if they fixed it before 2.5 is released.

Time to check Pete Dowson's vacation schedule.

I'm off to Sri Lanka in Feb -- 13th to 27th. I expect that's when it'll be released! ;-)

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

I expect that's when it'll be released! ;-)

I'm shure about this point :lol:. Have nice holidays, Pete! 

Allways three greens,
Markus

VFR-Flightsimmer.de

It was said somewhere in the Prepar3D forums many months ago, shortly after 2.4's release. I'll try to look for it but don't expect me to find it.

That would be great if you did find it, otherwise your information isn't going to hold much value.

Since it looks like 2.6 is not on the horizon

And where did this information come from?

As for the dark spots, they occur only when you have both cloud shadows and terrain shadows on.

I've tested with both on and not seeing an issue.  

Cheers, Rob.

I didn't say 2.6 will never see the light, but with 2.4 and 2.5 being very minor updates I wouldn't be surprised if they're just pushing them out quickly to be done with 2.x and move to 3.0. Of course it will be really nice if they kept working on 2.x throughout 2015.

I've got to say I'm really surprised you aren't getting the issue. There have been many reports about this issue (second post in this thread for example), and I haven't seen anyone denying it either. What are your current shadow settings? I'll replicate them and see if I'm still getting the dark spots.

Guest tymk

I've tested with both on and not seeing an issue.

Hi Rob,

Can you do a quick test in a hilly area, preferably in the summer at around noon? I've noticed in your videos that you tend to fly later in the afternoon and at dusk (sorry if I'm making a wrong assumption :wink:), and this issue is hardly visible at that time of day. When the sun is high, however, it's quite pronounced.

Tym

I have been running with both ground and cloud shadows on, since 2.4 was released, and haven't seen this issue either. I have always updated P3D using a full clean install, though. Maybe that may have something to do with it.

Regards, Craig.

ps, Thanx Rob, for working behind the scenes, helping us get our concerns heard by LM.

Greatly appreciated.

:-)

You are very kind.....thank you.

Ahh, but I'm sure LM's got you on the fast track and will dare not release until you have approved... right? ;-)

I'm off to Sri Lanka in Feb -- 13th to 27th. I expect that's when it'll be released! ;-)

Pete

I agree, Mike. I certainly will not be making any hasty decision to upgrade to version 2.5 if I have to reinstall the lot from scratch. My UK photo scenery alone takes ages to install.

Christopher, why would you need to reinstall the UK photo scenery ?

All I ever do is just add the scenery library entries back in, the Generation X stuff sits in a directory away from my sims, that way it stays undisturbed.

Cheers, Rob.

Here's the original quote back when the issue first appeared in v 2.3:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/terrain-shadows-v2-3/#post-48704

While P3D v2 has certainly had its share of driver-related problems and other issues (people not deleting the compiled shaders after updating the sim or drivers, for example), the issue with terrain shadows is documented and happens for everyone, with Nvidia, AMD

or Intel graphics hardware. In P3D 2.4, it only happens when both cloud and terrain shadows are enabled, where as in 2.3 it happens even with just terrain shadows enabled.

The release notes for 2.4 actually listed the bug as having been fixed, but they missed the case when both cloud and terrain shadows are enabled.

Just checked again in the official P3D forums, and it seems LM are looking into both the extrusion bridges and terrain shadows now. Hopefully they'll get the fixes implemented before 2.5 comes out. Unbelievable that these two very major rendering issues slipped under the radar at LM, especially as the issue was widely known among users in their official forums.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Just checked again in the official P3D forums, and it seems LM are looking into both the extrusion bridges and terrain shadows now. Hopefully they'll get the fixes implemented before 2.5 comes out. Unbelievable that these two very major rendering issues slipped under the radar at LM, especially as the issue was widely known among users in their official forums.

I already knew that they were trying to fix the bridges, but I'm really glad they are looking into the terrain shadows as well. Thanks for the heads-up.

Guest tymk

I've also seen the responses from Wes in the LM forum, and I believe we really need to thank Rob for acting as the 'community ambassador' (again)... :wink:

I think we're really lucky to have someone who can raise some of the community's requests in a level-headed manner with the P3D team, because after seeing some of the childish and often downright rude comments in the forums, I'm not surprised LM devs waste little time responding these days...

Tym

I will also likely stick with 2.4.  I should have stuck with 2.2.... never once had an OOM in that ,and then of course now I do if I am not careful. 

I will only be switching to 2.5 if there is a significant boost in performance (which it seems there will not be one). 

Isn't the plugging of the memory leak associated with the opening screen a step in the right direction? Why not let's enjoy what we have for the time being? If we're having this conversation in 6 months, then maybe LM have gone in a different direction and we will have a decision to make. I think P3D has come a long way in a year and a half. Don't worry...be happy! I have oversimplified the issue, but perhaps we are in danger of over-complicating the same.