Sign in to follow this  
Kaaron Gillett

WINDOWS 10 and what it mean for us.

Good to see some members are starting to use Windows 10 and providing us information on its compatibility with FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D.  It will be good to know how compatible it is with X-Plane too but suspect some members will post that in the X-Plane forums.  Still it all looks promising!  I'm 99.9% sure I will be upgrading to Windows 10 when it is officially released as it will be free initially.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Its great but i had win 10 on a removable drive and when it loaded it checked my other win 8 boot drive and commenced to fix my non existent disk errors and corrupted my drive beyond repair, lesson keep it seperate from other boot drives, luckly i had a very recent image

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Hi guys..I have a windows 10 upgrade question for those of you who have installed it....Like many others, I have a dedicated FSX PC and with just about all the saitek controllers and boxes plus Track IR running three screens. I use FSX with REX plus Orbx and lots of Carenado and PMDG / Aerosoft add ons.  I have spent hundreds of hours fine tuning my set up and am being constantly being reminded by windows to upgrade from my current windows 8 to 8.1. I recently upgraded my laptop with has windows 8 to 8.1 and it had no affect on my FS9 installation or other programmes. They all work fine without any reinstalls, I would like to upgrade my main rig to windows 10 and so my question is can I just select windows 10 as an upgrade or will I have to reinstall everything again. I would rather go without than have to do this. The main reason for the upgrade is I too have the occasional controller drop out.

Thanks in anticipation...Rob

Yes, you can update your computer to Windows 10 and preserve everything you have.  I have done this on several machines and everything works as it should after the upgrade is complete.

However, I suggest you wait till the fall when Windows 10 releases since the Tech Preview (TP) release builds are beta software and there are no guarantees.  While I have successfully upgraded a couple machines, and my FSX/P3D installations worked just fine after the upgrade, there's no way to know you will enjoy the same good fortune with these beta builds.

If you really want to do this, then I suggest you do a complete image backup of your current Win8 machine onto an external drive so if the Win10 TP upgrade doesn't work, you can restore back to where you are now.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Thanks very much for your help..I have FSX installed on its own drive plus mirror copies of it and my entire C drive backed up on externals. I know its a risk you take when you upgrade the operating system, but at least feed back from guys like yourself help with the final decision. I will wait for the main release of W10 but will definitely give 8.1 a miss after reading about compatibility issues and DX10.

Thanks again..Rob

Yes, you can update your computer to Windows 10 and preserve everything you have.  I have done this on several machines and everything works as it should after the upgrade is complete.

However, I suggest you wait till the fall when Windows 10 releases since the Tech Preview (TP) release builds are beta software and there are no guarantees.  While I have successfully upgraded a couple machines, and my FSX/P3D installations worked just fine after the upgrade, there's no way to know you will enjoy the same good fortune with these beta builds.

If you really want to do this, then I suggest you do a complete image backup of your current Win8 machine onto an external drive so if the Win10 TP upgrade doesn't work, you can restore back to where you are now.

That was my question, too. Since the early days, it has been the unwritten law that no OS can be updated (even though it claims it can be), and that the ONLY way to upgrade your system (especially Windows) is to do a re-format and fresh install of the new OS...after which, of course, you have to rebuild EVERYTHING.  I have just gone through the comparatively simple task of un-installing FSX and re-installing FSX SE, and in a little over a month, I am still trying to make things work.

So, (and is the upgrade from 7 to 10 really free?), can I safely do an update from 7 to 10 and still have my new FSX SE, with my A2A and PMDG aircraft, working properly? If I need to do a complete new install, I'll be sticking with Win 7 until my machine dies. But if I can put the DVD in the slot and say "Update to Win 10" safely, I'm game.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

The update from 7 to 10 is really free, if you move the first year. Furthermore, it is for the life of the product. It's not like "ok...you have fun? now pay up".

by chance has anyone tried x-plane 10 in windows 10 tech preview yet?

Have X-Plane running very nicely on Windows 10 :)

Well, the free part is nice! But although I have enough room on my machine to dual-boot, I won't waste my time just yet. Looks like the real deal won't be out until next Fall, so we have about 6 months to watch the OS develop.  And I'm still not sure about the upgrade path vs. the "clean and fresh install" choice.  Everything is running (so far) very well on Win 7, and I'm getting too old to keep rebuilding FSX.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

i am now running the latest windows 10 tp 10041 and the latest nvidia driver 349.90 and p3d and xplane both run extremely well for me,i don't like the new windows update, but everything else i am really enjoying so far, the worse hassle is getting my keys for addons reset everytime i do an upgrade or make a hardware change,i won't use the sim market anymore for this very reason, after about 20 activations over the past year, i was told i have to buy the products i already own all over, thats just not good business.

i am now running the latest windows 10 tp 10041 and the latest nvidia driver 349.90 and p3d and xplane both run extremely well for me,i don't like the new windows update, but everything else i am really enjoying so far, the worse hassle is getting my keys for addons reset everytime i do an upgrade or make a hardware change,i won't use the sim market anymore for this very reason, after about 20 activations over the past year, i was told i have to buy the products i already own all over, thats just not good business.

I quite agree. I used to be a happy customer of Simmarket. I think they have become arrogant. I wont buy anything form them anymore, unless I can't get it elsewhere.

i am glad someone else agreed with me about the sim market, the fact is i spend more time testing software and hardware then i do flying,i have never once had an issue with any other developer or online store, i understand the online stores need to protect the developers from piracy, but there happens to be many like me that remove and install often,as a matter of fact i will be replacing my 4790k with the new broadwell release and then to skylake, not because i want to throw money away, but i really enjoy testing and giving feedback.

That was my question, too. Since the early days, it has been the unwritten law that no OS can be updated (even though it claims it can be), and that the ONLY way to upgrade your system (especially Windows) is to do a re-format and fresh install of the new OS...after which, of course, you have to rebuild EVERYTHING.  I have just gone through the comparatively simple task of un-installing FSX and re-installing FSX SE, and in a little over a month, I am still trying to make things work.

So, (and is the upgrade from 7 to 10 really free?), can I safely do an update from 7 to 10 and still have my new FSX SE, with my A2A and PMDG aircraft, working properly? If I need to do a complete new install, I'll be sticking with Win 7 until my machine dies. But if I can put the DVD in the slot and say "Update to Win 10" safely, I'm game.

For what it's worth, it is always best to do a clean install so you're assured you have the cleanest possible installation.  The Windows registry is a massive thing and gets filled with "cruft" and can get sluggish over time.  Doing an update over an existing install modifies the registry, but doesn't wipe it out since you want to preserve all the applications, etc. that are already installed.  I've done Win10 TP upgrades over Windows 8.1 and bare metal clean installs and all has been as expected, but still not perfect considering this is beta code.  But I am extremely pleased and looking forward to the final release in late summer (probably September).

However, although there's been some discussion that the final Win10 RTM release can be used to upgrade a Win10 TP installation, I haven't yet seen anything definitive from Microsoft confirming that.  So, if you upgrade to Win10 TP right now, there's no guarantee that you can just update to the final Win10 RTM version when it releases.  But you will certainly be able to upgrade an existing Win 7/8/8.1 installation with Win 10 RTM and preserve all your existing applications, etc.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

even when the final version is released, i will be doing a clean install as well,i actually wiped my pc and installed 9926 and then upgraded to 10041, that was the cleanest way possible without the iso's

even when the final version is released, i will be doing a clean install as well,i actually wiped my pc and installed 9926 and then upgraded to 10041, that was the cleanest way possible without the iso's

I downloaded an esd file, converted it to an iso and clean installed 10041 as doing the update install caused problems for me