Sign in to follow this  

And let the PC build begin ...

Looks awesome Rob - want to water cool my titan as well as water works best 

Rich Sennett

Impressive! You're gonna need a nuclear reactor in your backyard to power that thing. Without it, I can see it now; the neighbours lights going dim every time you turn over the engines on the 777... :LMAO:  

Cheers, Craig

I have got a question regarding the hardware goodies in your pic.  I see you have got 2 Black Titan's lined up for your build,  are these a different type of Titan compared to your old ones? 

I see you have got 2 Black Titan's lined up for your build,  are these a different type of Titan compared to your old ones?

No, these are the same Titan Blacks that used to be in my old PC ... my Old PC now has a 970 GTX 4GB it ... started another thread on the 970 GTX 4GB as I was very impressed with that cards performance.

Rich is confused :) ... probably old age or too much snow, take your pick.

Cheers, Rob.

No, these are the same Titan Blacks that used to be in my old PC ... my Old PC now has a 970 GTX 4GB it ... started another thread on the 970 GTX 4GB as I was very impressed with that cards performance.

Rich is confused :) ... probably old age or too much snow, take your pick.

Cheers, Rob.

lol Rob you weirdo - you had a Titan before buying the two blacks did you not - you have owned three of them yes ? the first one was not a black as you asked me to buy it - so whos getting old lol

Rich Sennett

I see you have got 2 Black Titan's lined up for your build,  are these a different type of Titan compared to your old ones? 

This answer to Elaine's question is No.

you had a Titan before buying the two blacks did you not - you have owned three of them yes ? the first one was not a black as you asked me to buy it

That is correct, but that's not what Elaine asked.

Get back to clearing out that snow!   :Peace:

Cheers, Rob.

This answer to Elaine's question is No.

Ah thanks for clearing up Good Buddy :) I hate snow

Rich Sennett

Rob - perhaps you could run an Intel Extreme Tuning Utility benchmark when you get to your first solid install/setup point? Personally, I wish more folks would run that benchmark and either bring up that number when talking about the goofy FPS topic or throw that in their signature instead of a bunch of hardware stats. Apples to apples, ya know... and IETU is free.

Granted IETU benchmarks the entire processor and not just one core (i.e. considering how we simmers are typically constrained to Core 0 performance), I think it's still useful.

To start the trend...

Using a 3770k @ 4.8 Ghz with HT off / 8gb G.Skill RAM at 2400mhz in 9-11-11-31-2 timings, I can get 997.

Lastly, am I missing something about how outrageously high the timings are with DDR4 RAM? I mean, CAS16????

I'm actually going to document the build process as well as the tuning process.  There might be some folks here interested in doing this build so I'll share the steps along the way.  

This build will not have a DVD/BluRay drive ... I just never use them any more.  So it starts with bootable USB 3.0 stick as they make the installation process considerably faster.

First step, get everything I need on the software/firmware side:

f2a84fba394b8f76d28bdbf8604172f0.jpg

Open HAF X and remove top cover and fan:

8c5947fbebe9669e38c625b2328d5968.jpg

Identify airflow direction with EK H30 water cooling kit (2 X 120mm fans):

ccaf6b58ff9d28d25a7b70f0572a0e6f.jpg

Mount the radiator and fans to HAF X:

74a8921b4b4a7b57febbac0dc5671e10.jpg

Seal gaps around fan:

ee66d26221b24c1bffa088198c4289bf.jpg

Replace cover to ensure fit:

4c57be1525cb4b234548221ee98e1f48.jpg

Prep mounts for motherboard:

918baa81604a513ac58cf6dcfe4d5bc9.jpg

Test fit motherboard checking for clearance:

691dedbc9d33c9a88740d323193c26c5.jpg

To be continued...

EDIT: it's going a little slow as other distractions have come up along the way 

Cheers, Rob.

Cool pics interested when you get to pulling those video cards apart as I will welcome how hard is to get them ready as I want to cool my gpu also - thanks for sharing this build

Rich Sennett

I've already done a test run on the GPU ... a lot of different screw types ... you'll need to get one of those interchangeable small bit screw driver kits designed specifically for electronics ... nVidia use a combination of Torx bits, square bits, and philips.  I actually may hold off on doing the GPU cooling for now ... passive cool side will not fit on one of my cards.

Some more progress tonight ...

EK water block, needed to remove the J3 "jet" to put in the J4 "jet" for LGA 2011-V3 sockets:

fab249488f08c91b41d6cca6aa06d14f.jpg

dd4ebacf8a8d09e4c883cadabf2abd8e.jpg

Measure the Jet to make sure I have the correct one, didn't 0.79 (0.8mm), wrong one so got correct one at 0.7mm ... jet size is different also:

4edd45e1cc8fd0612f51134454e1a685.jpg

Correct Jet "J4" installed:

acf38f585def3548ef3477c24e4571ad.jpg

Get CPU mounting studs installed:

736e91029d86d8f5612852627df734fa.jpg

CPU

2f2e30cceb11fe09f83012094b6f0d95.jpg

installed:

cce3b2e94c82606d4c18eb6a0aff2080.jpg

EK assembled water block installed:

2a50648681310346b9c42034f43b4f88.jpg

test fit with GPU's installed ... looking for space for the water pump and reservoir:

b52b1434a6f7259c079288e3847e395d.jpg

To be continued ...

Cheers, Rob.

Rob

Please excuse my ignorant questions.

Why would you exhaust from the case with the water cooler instead of drawing "cooler" air from out side of the case and pushing it across the radiator?

I am very much interested in your efforts. With the exception of the CPU and cooler my build is going to be very similar. Sometimes $$$ becomes a road block. I would have ordered my components last week but suddenly one of them became unavailable.

Russ

Many may fly and some are rewarded

handsomely, but the wings of gold of a

United States Naval Aviator mean more

than flying. It is dearly bought, requires

sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.