Sign in to follow this  
Poppet

TurbineDuke V2..VS..SuperKing Air Flight 1

I have spent a fortune so far in this hobby but I'm loving every minute of it. Let's pretend I have only money for 1 more purchase.

If you had to pick 1 of these fantastic Planes over the other which would it be.

The SuperKing Air By Flight 1 using EMT tool to migrate it over to PD3

OR

Wait for the PD3 release of the TurbineDuke V2

Already I'm leaning towards the SuperKing Air.

I have the old Turbine Duke v1 and the Flight 1 King Air. For me the F1 B200 wins by a landslide.

Great hands on flying feel, reminds me of the old Aeroworx B200 for FS9. Same turboprop spool up times, same control heaviness in slow flight, great balance and general "feel". I do have a lot of stick time with both, but I seem to handle the B200 better, nailing the flare a lot more often and keeping her smooth more. FDE is at least equal to or slightly better than the Duke v1 I think, without ever having flown either in real life.

I have however flown a C172 with a G1000 in real life a few times, which is the same as in the B200 but without the same advanced autopilot capabilities. The F1 G1000 version impresses me, it's probably the closest you can get to a real G1000 in FSX, perhaps save for the pure panel sim called Mindstar, that's supposedly very accurate too. It's great for IFR flights on VATSIM or IVAO, with navigation procedure updates available from Navigraph and Aerosoft probably also supplies navigation updates for it (you'll have to double check that). The only thing I really miss is VNAV, but with the old "rule of 3" you can plan your descent very easily the old fashioned way. Also, when you're online ATC usually helps you by clearing your descent when it's about time to reach this or that VNAV constraint.

The Duke only has the option of fitting the Reality XP GPS systems, which I do have and use in it. I love that they added it, but they're not updateable like the G1000, and their database is kind of thin outdated outside of the US on IFR procedures.

Unless something dramatic has changed from the Duke V1 to V2, and frankly it doesn't look like it from the specs, I'd really really go for the B200. I fly it a lot more.

V2 of the turbine Duke also has gtn750 integration which will also be available when the. P3dV2 becomes available..probably in the next month or so. The GTN750 works great. Having said this if you're looking for a garmin1000 cockpit F1 is the way to go.

Dave

I could be wrong but I'm sure I remember reading that the F1 B200 doesn't work in P3D. Even using the migrator tool to install it doesn't matter as it is "broken" in P3Dv2.

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

I have both planes (v2 of the turbine duke) and I really think it's a matter of which type of flying you intend to do that will dictate which feels better to you. If you do most of your flying on instruments in low vis approaches  then there's no doubt the Duke wins the cigar for this over the Kingair...Rob's gauges are simply MUCH smoother. The Duke is also a tad more predictable in gusty winds giving you a feeling of being a little more connected with the plane and what it's doing...the Kingair tends to be a bit more kite-ish in 15-25k gusty winds (although this can be subjective).

If however you love to fly all glass cockpits (g1000) or panel systems are more important to you then the B200 is the best choice since the systems are modeled more in depth than the Duke. The b200 also has some odd behaviors such as illuminated landing/taxi lights that will not work in low visibility weather and the throttle/torque lag is waaay over done (real plane is maybe 2-3 second lag at most where sim plane seems closer to 4-5 making it really unsafe).

Both are very good planes but it depends upon your own preferences...if you're a systems guy and love to learn all the clicking work then get the b200...if you're a flyer at heart then get the duke.

• Upvote 1

I could be wrong but I'm sure I remember reading that the F1 B200 doesn't work in P3D. Even using the migrator tool to install it doesn't matter as it is "broken" in P3Dv2.

True. When I last tried it there is no VC, period. External view, yes. Sound (if started hot on active runway), yes. But you are literally flying blind since there is zero cockpit.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

It depends on the kind of flying you want to do, the B200 is a passenger van while the T-Duke is a minivan.  I tried out the B200, it was nice, but it was too big for the type of airports I went to.  The T Duke has no problem with small airports.   For me I would pick the T Duke in a heartbeat..    

The T-Duke does indeed have GTN capability which does have working VNAV, create flight plans using airways, safe taxi view..etc

PILOT-PC-2015-jan-30-009.th.jpg

Neither are The realair or f1 B200 isreleased yet for P3d v2 but id also like the throw the milviz 350i into the mix as well as it's also a kingair just different avionics and engines. You can get the version that includes P3D and fsx for cheaper than the F1. Granted it's still an alpha but it is very flyable

I have spent a fortune so far in this hobby but I'm loving every minute of it. Let's pretend I have only money for 1 more purchase.

If you had to pick 1 of these fantastic Planes over the other which would it be.

The SuperKing Air By Flight 1 using EMT tool to migrate it over to PD3

OR

Wait for the PD3 release of the TurbineDuke V2

Already I'm leaning towards the SuperKing Air.

You're leaning the wrong way Elaine! ....... I own them both, the RealAir T-Duke V2 kills the Flight 1 King Air, in my honest opinion.    Everything about it is just so immersive and high quality.

I don't know if performance is a factor to you, but the F1 King Air is pretty heavy on my system (it uses Flight 1's G1000 which is a bit of a frame eater), wheras the RealAir is much easier on the frames and smoothness.

The Duke only has the option of fitting the Reality XP GPS systems, which I do have and use in it. I love that they added it, but they're not updateable like the G1000, and their database is kind of thin outdated outside of the US on IFR procedures.

With respect your whole post is talking about the T-Duke V1, which was released almost 5 years ago.  Many of the points you raise (such as the one quoted above; the Duke V2 has the option for the F1 GTN as well as the RXPs), don't apply to the V2.

Thank you everybody for your detailed replys much appreciated.   I have my little GA aircraft from A2A for scenic runs and i also acquired myself a Civilian Mustang for them noisy anger trips, "love that beastly rocket"   So that leaves me with the want for a nippy Twin Prop Plane for them long-ish trips.  Don't like Business Jets.  

V2 of the turbine Duke also has gtn750 integration

Very good point, I have never used the 750 but it looks fantastic. 

True. When I last tried it there is no VC, period. External view, yes. Sound (if started hot on active runway), yes. But you are literally flying blind since there is zero cockpit.

Well that has just ruined my day  :lol:   I seen a Youtub video of the SuperKing Air last year and i was blown away by it.  But then again i have never flown one or been in one in Sim terms so its hard to know.

The T-Duke does indeed have GTN capability which does have working VNAV, create flight plans using airways, safe taxi view..etc

Yes i do love the idea of the 750, all them buttons to play with. I take it you can integrate it into all aircrafts that are 750 compatible.

but id also like the throw the milviz 350i into the mix as well as it's also a kingair just different avionics and engines.

Never thought of the Milviz 350i,  more food for my brain to nibble on. 

Hello Craig, 

Yes i think you are rite,  with the fact that a proper PD3 installer will be out soon for the TurbineDuke i think its the way to go.  And yes i do get some weird effects and Fuzzness from over crowded cockpits.  

Thank you again Folks.

I've got MilViz KingAir and use in p3dV2.4 and it works great there. The Proline 21 is done very well. It flies good. I've been flying KingAirs off and on since the late 90s in the RW (90&200). The RealAir beech turbine Duke is great in FSX and I have no doubt it will be the same in p3d and the garmin gtn750 is a user friendly GPS.

I have the old Turbine Duke v1 and the Flight 1 King Air. For me the F1 B200 wins by a landslide.

Great hands on flying feel, reminds me of the old Aeroworx B200 for FS9. Same turboprop spool up times, same control heaviness in slow flight, great balance and general "feel". I do have a lot of stick time with both, but I seem to handle the B200 better, nailing the flare a lot more often and keeping her smooth more. FDE is at least equal to or slightly better than the Duke v1 I think, without ever having flown either in real life.

I have however flown a C172 with a G1000 in real life a few times, which is the same as in the B200 but without the same advanced autopilot capabilities. The F1 G1000 version impresses me, it's probably the closest you can get to a real G1000 in FSX, perhaps save for the pure panel sim called Mindstar, that's supposedly very accurate too. It's great for IFR flights on VATSIM or IVAO, with navigation procedure updates available from Navigraph and Aerosoft probably also supplies navigation updates for it (you'll have to double check that). The only thing I really miss is VNAV, but with the old "rule of 3" you can plan your descent very easily the old fashioned way. Also, when you're online ATC usually helps you by clearing your descent when it's about time to reach this or that VNAV constraint.

Unless something dramatic has changed from the Duke V1 to V2, and frankly it doesn't look like it from the specs, I'd really really go for the B200. I fly it a lot more.

I really don't mind you expressing your preferences, but I do think you should base them on facts, especially when you are making such a stark statement like "landslide".

Almost everything you say is factually wrong:

There are enormous differences between the V1 T Duke and the V2 T Duke. I won't go through the list but when you say "Unless something dramatic has changed...and frankly it doesn't look like it", you clearly did not bother to check. If nothing had changed then presumably the last year or so of our full time work updating it has passed you by, but it is all there on our website, and there is a current thread right here on the FSX forum about the V2 Duke which has 50,000 views and hundreds of informed reviews by people who've actually flown it!

You refer to the RXP gauge integration but missed a rather important additional GTN integration which is far superior to the RXPs, but we still retain the option for the integration of both.

I'll leave your other comments alone. Let me stress....nothing wrong with comparing and the F1 Kingair is no doubt very fine, but please at least base your info on facts not false assumptions. Thank you.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Thank you everybody for your detailed replys much appreciated.   I have my little GA aircraft from A2A for scenic runs and i also acquired myself a Civilian Mustang for them noisy anger trips, "love that beastly rocket"   So that leaves me with the want for a nippy Twin Prop Plane for them long-ish trips.  Don't like Business Jets.

Don't forget, the Civil P-51 is an extremely efficient airframe (even by today's standards) and is quite the long distance traveler itself. You can set it to econ power settings on low blower ~ FL190 and get around 1500NM while still cruising around 270KTAS. Check out this thread on the A2A forum for maximizing P-51 performance and efficiency. The P-51 can rival turboprops and some bizjets in performance....not bad for a 70+ year old airplane.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=38173

there is a current thread right here on the FSX forum about the V2 Duke which has 50,000 views and hundreds of informed reviews by people who've actually flown it!

Hello Robert, I would say we are not to far away from the big release ?   Sure you could give me the exclusive news,  i wont tell a soul  :Big Grin:

Don't forget, the Civil P-51 is an extremely efficient airframe (even by today's standards) and is quite the long distance traveler itself. You can set it to econ power settings on low blower ~ FL190 and get around 1500NM while still cruising around 270KTAS. Check out this thread on the A2A forum for maximizing P-51 performance and efficiency. The P-51 can rival turboprops and some bizjets in performance....not bad for a 70+ year old airplane.

I love this plane,  you really have to work and watch what you are doing, great feeling of satisfaction.  I have yet to set up a longish trip, but plane to very soon