Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Any final conclusion on FSX Steam ?

Thanks for the additional info.  I actually purchases FSX-SE when it was on sale but so far have not done anything with it and have not been following the threads that closely to know if the community can make a solid recommendation.  Regardless of the OOM issue, I really like the potential of smoother performance.

I'm with you. I really like the sound of smoother performance, but also better VAS handling. Still, one of the most important add ons is missing - ASN.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I'm with you. I really like the sound of smoother performance, but also better VAS handling. Still, one of the most important add ons is missing - ASN.

Yea agreed.  Also, Dovetail really needs to address the terrain.dll and g3d.all issues.  Hopefully a fix comes soon.

After the repeated terrain.dll, and that with everything set to default, having specifically bought the PMDG777 package to do long-haul flights, having FSX-SE CTD after 4-5 hours was just not acceptable, for me, at least. I have now ditched it completely, moved over to Prepar3D v2.5, and in the 4 long-haul flights over 8-9 hours each I have flown to date, not a single OOM, not a single terrain.dll or G3d.dll, or any dll CTD for that matter.

Good riddance FSX-SE!

For anyone that flies online on the Digital Theme Park servers or

any other server that uses the "Direct Connect" funtion, FSX-SE is

not an option as DTG seems to have failed to implement that feature

which is 'standard' in FSX.

I suspect they may have done that to force folks to use their

multiplayer implementation of the old GameSpy.

I only fly online on the DTP servers so FSX-SE is useless to me

except as a test bed for beta testing. The same is true of my

P3D V2.4 install. I never use that to actually fly on a regular basis.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

For anyone that flies online on the Digital Theme Park servers or

any other server that uses the "Direct Connect" funtion, FSX-SE is

not an option as DTG seems to have failed to implement that feature

which is 'standard' in FSX.

I suspect they may have done that to force folks to use their

multiplayer implementation of the old GameSpy.

I only fly online on the DTP servers so FSX-SE is useless to me

except as a test bed for beta testing. The same is true of my

P3D V2.4 install. I never use that to actually fly on a regular basis.

Paul

I am pretty much a Vatsim pilot so this is not an issue.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Dunno, I still think FSX:SE has been released on Steam, tweaked for Steam multiplayer & intended for the Steam gamers to intoduce them to a flight sim. I also think it's pretty much geared up for DLC's, So it makes it pretty much a 'plug 'n play' game for newbies there, who do not want to fiddle with installations & tweaks.

Us older/more experienced folk that already have FSX are possibly looking for the 'Holy Grail' & are very fortunate that most add-ons will work, with existing developers 'making a plan' to get their stuff to work within FSX:SE.

Interesting to see if Dovetail's new sim, whenever & if ever will be released, will be a closed sim, similar to Flight! with DLC's only.

My thoughts, as they are, is to consider FSX:SE as a different & separate sim to FSX, NOT as a replacement, and with a heap of similarities & isues of it's own.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

That's just it; I have never had an OOM, so I haven't had to scale anything back.

But I realize not all FSX users are in the same situation; which is why I recommended trying FSX-SE if as person does suffer from OOM's or if they experience stutters.

I'm in the same boat fortunately. Run all the PMDG planes, tons of addon airports that I have carefully tweaked, UT2 with custom AI, and numerous other addons and never OOM or CTD since getting FSX back in 2008. At this point I have no reason to change to SE and start the process of backing up all my tweaked addons, uninstalling them and FSX and then installing SE and putting it all back together again.

Since mine isn't broke there's nothing to fix, but I do agree that SE might be a viable option for those who just can't regular FSX to perform correctly for them.

I do however feel VERY fortunate that I have been able to run one install on both rigs I have built going back to 2008 and never had any issues with either build. Reading all the posts since the about OOMs and CTDs reminds me how fortunate I am that I can just fly and not be tweaking or reinstalling all the time.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm in the same boat fortunately. Run all the PMDG planes, tons of addon airports that I have carefully tweaked, UT2 with custom AI, and numerous other addons and never OOM or CTD since getting FSX back in 2008. At this point I have no reason to change to SE and start the process of backing up all my tweaked addons, uninstalling them and FSX and then installing SE and putting it all back together again.

Since mine isn't broke there's nothing to fix, but I do agree that SE might be a viable option for those who just can't regular FSX to perform correctly for them.

I do however feel VERY fortunate that I have been able to run one install on both rigs I have built going back to 2008 and never had any issues with either build. Reading all the posts since the about OOMs and CTDs reminds me how fortunate I am that I can just fly and not be tweaking or reinstalling all the time.

Give me access to your Sim via team speak with the PMDG 777, orbx and FSDT scenery(and your fsx.cfg)  and I will get you an OOM in under 10 mins.

Its not about no ooms but more to do with how much more can I get from my sim with higher settings? If you got LOD 10 and all shadows with bloom wouldnt you want that? For me just increasing the LOD up 2 notches or maxing high def clouds  is more than worth the change. But I understand some folk dont want clouds or ORBX so please ignore my post :-)

ZORAN

Running FSX with DX10 makes a pretty significant performance difference from a VAS standpoint.  I had been waiting to reinstall FTX Vector and my mesh scenery because I was afraid of going over on VAS, but after making it DX10 I would go from LAX to LAS or PHX to SLC and I'd get to 3.5-3.7 but never above that.

I was not able to do that in DX9, not in a million years, not with full settings and with these addons:

FTX Global + Vector

Rex 4 Tex Direct + Soft Clouds (cloud textures at 4096 high res also)

FS Global Ultimate Mesh - Americas

PMDG 777-200LRF

Ideal Flight 10

FSCaptain

ASN

Zinertek HD Airport Graphics

With DX9 I'd run out of VAS during my approach closing in on a runway.  DX10 has been the savior for me.

Gypsy Baron.. Yup, FSX:SE is geared up for the Steam Servers, DLC's etc.

As I have said... we are really getting into a case of Analysis Paralysis.

Surley it must tell us something that FSX:SE is on Steam, geared for Steam servers & set up for Steam DLC's. (yes, I know, it is a bonus that plenty other add-ons work). Makes it so easy for the newbies, does it not? with it's 'plug 'n play' ease of use? (with DLC's), to make it so easy.

So, FSX: SE with it's 5 available DLC's should be the package to consider! in isolation to the mainstream FSX!

We are all going to get different results as we throw different add-ons into it & our hardware is so different to everyone elses.

Let's all take a step back & see it for what it is.. an 8 year old tweaked re-release to run on modern PC's, that works amazingly well for some, & not so great for others.

For us, at our VA clubhouse, we don't have internet access, so this is a 'no-go' for us as well.

Sigh! Just imagine if Dovetail's own sim will be similar to Flight! with DLC's? It will probably be so, being release on Steam.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Played a few time with the FSX Steam Edition.

By now I've installed:

Rex Essential Plus with Overdrive

Active Sky 2012 

Carenado PC-12 HD

A few free scenery

Everything looks good so far.

Pretty impress by the loading time that is a quarter less than dcs.

I've switch plane/weather ingame with no problems. 

TrackIr 5 is working fine.

Thrustmaster Warthog working fine too.

I have not a high end machine and setting are pretty high, so i think they might optimise the game..

i5 760 2.8

Gtx 460 1Gb

6 Gig of ram.

But waiting for precipitfx to be suitable with this series because snow Fx really s*cks..

Cheers!