Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

A Guide to, Getting the most out of the PMDG 777

@Carlo

Yes its not for people who are as clued up as yourself, but hope even people like yourself might get something out of it. I think the tip on getting more out of REX4 is something many people don't know or use.

David, don't get me wrong. I also learned something from your guide. E.g. that setting fps for the displays in the VC to 8 is sufficient. Had those at 15. 8 fps is absolutely fine and gave a slight boost to fps.

Another very useful tip in Prepar3d (saves around 100-150 Mb VAS): Start Prepar3d with the scenario startup and configure your flight. Untick the box "Show At Startup" and load the flight. Then select the desired panel state and wait until the aircraft is fully setup. Now save the flight and exit Prepar3d. Then load the saved flight from your "Prepar3d v2 Files" folder (in MyDocuments) just by double clicking the .fxml file. You might need to tell Windows that you want to load .fxml files with Prepar3d if you do this for the first time. This should take you directly into the plane (no scenario screen) and you should have additional VAS available compared to the first time when you loaded the flight from the scenario setup...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Thank you for your tips; I almost disregarded your guide as no practical improvement was done by any of the settings, and I get reasonable frames with all the other products, but this one:

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01

made the whole difference with the Triple! (P3Dv2.5 Pro)

Frames up from 15-20 to 25-30 with limit of 31.

This should be official tip for mediumish systems (i5 2500K, moderately overclocked; GTX770 2Gb).

--

Arto Karhu

EDIT:  I went from 1600MB VAS at LAX with 100%AI up to 1900MB VAS with that tip!  300 more to use for something else!!  :)

I did not notice much of a difference in VAS usage, but then I'm using FSX in DX9 mode. Can't wait to try out P3D, which seems to have better VAS management (assuming you have comparable settings) and responds more favorably to such config tweaks. 

Can a mod delete the other post please.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

David, don't get me wrong. I also learned something from your guide. E.g. that setting fps for the displays in the VC to 8 is sufficient. Had those at 15. 8 fps is absolutely fine and gave a slight boost to fps.

Another very useful tip in Prepar3d (saves around 100-150 Mb VAS): Start Prepar3d with the scenario startup and configure your flight. Untick the box "Show At Startup" and load the flight. Then select the desired panel state and wait until the aircraft is fully setup. Now save the flight and exit Prepar3d. Then load the saved flight from your "Prepar3d v2 Files" folder (in MyDocuments) just by double clicking the .fxml file. You might need to tell Windows that you want to load .fxml files with Prepar3d if you do this for the first time. This should take you directly into the plane (no scenario screen) and you should have additional VAS available compared to the first time when you loaded the flight from the scenario setup...

Great tip and great Topic / tips OP .. many thanks

Very cool. Thanks a lot! I also prefer the VC, so disabling the external model is probably going to help me a whole lot. I read about it some time ago but forgot about it :O. Thanks to this I will remember to do this great fix. I will do it right now!! Thanks.

I've updated it, added a coupe of other things I forgot.

Thanks for all the kind comments. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Updated and now with NG Long stay flows.

Hi,

Your link for the 737 flows throws up an error message saying that you need permisiions to view drafts.

You can get to it using the first link.

Sorry, fixed

I definitely have to try this, as I am usually stuck around 15 FPS at ORBX airports. Thanks for taking the time to make this, David! 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I thought I would try and put all the information that can be found all in one place and make a guide for you all.

Great guide. Thanks for the add. I will compare your ASN settings with mine, as I encounter significant frame rate hits with clouds (and I have a powerful rig). Per a Matt Davies / Belynz video, I unchecked the setting in FSX regarding detailed cloud layers (I'm butchering the name of that option, but don't have it in front of me at work). If I understood him correctly, it is redundant when ASN is in use and only hurts performance. It seemed to help somewhat. I also have an older version of REX, like 2.5 or something with the HD overdrive. I wonder if that is problematic as well (and if an upgrade to 4 and soft clouds would help).

Quick question regarding your screen setup - am I correct that those are two different screens that you pasted on top of one another? How did you set up the pop up displays on the second screen?

Updated and now with NG Long stay flows.

Long stay? Is this for when you leave the plane to stay at a Holiday Inn Express?  :P

(The term makes sense. It's just not what I'm used to, though, so I had to give you a little bit of a hard time for it..)

Kyle Rodgers