Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[03MAR15] PMDG's First Product for XPlane...

I saw it more as the cult that will only fly PMDG will finally have a reason to  test the cool XPX waters.

I've got XP10 but didn't re installed it after my OS upgrade. I'll be considering buying this plane.

I've got a question about the installation process - since adding aircraft to X-Plane is extremely simple (i.e. unzip the folder into the Aircraft folder in X-Plane), would there be any changes to PMDG's current delivery model?

I've got a question about the installation process - since adding aircraft to X-Plane is extremely simple (i.e. unzip the folder into the Aircraft folder in X-Plane), would there be any changes to PMDG's current delivery model?

I would assume they have developed their own installer similar to X-Aviation.

Had my first OOM in XPX with 16gb running Alpilot UHD mesh. Im sure with this DC6 it will push me to 32gb sooner than I thought I would ever need it. Amazingly I was still getting decent FPS when it ran out of memory. Anxious to see the performance of thier first efforts in XPX.

Top end hardware won't go to waste as much on this platform as it does on the others. Ive been able to use nearly all 6 gb on the titan...albeit at 8 fps...but it used it anyways ;)

Had my first OOM in XPX with 16gb running Alpilot UHD mesh. Im sure with this DC6 it will push me to 32gb sooner than I thought I would ever need it.

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding here, but it looks like you're connecting VAS with physical RAM, which would be incorrect.

The program itself (X-Plane) is a 32-bit program. There's nothing you can do to change that. The amount of memory available - bit-wise - for the program to use will always be 32 (until they release a 64 bit version). Adding RAM, while it might increase performance, will not give you more of a buffer from OOM errors.

Kyle Rodgers

My XP install always had 2 ".exe": X-Plane.exe and X-Plane-32bit.exe

Does that mean I'm not really running 64 bits? :unsure:

And how about the plugins having 32 and 64bit compilations?

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding here, but it looks like you're connecting VAS with physical RAM, which would be incorrect.

The program itself (X-Plane) is a 32-bit program. There's nothing you can do to change that. The amount of memory available - bit-wise - for the program to use will always be 32 (until they release a 64 bit version). Adding RAM, while it might increase performance, will not give you more of a buffer from OOM errors.

I'm pretty sure ur wrong about this. xplane is a 64 bit program . it has been 64bit for a while now. 

I'm pretty sure ur wrong about this. xplane is a 64 bit program . it has been 64bit for a while now. 

The essence of the post is correct: VAS is not related to RAM.

Regardless, X-Plane installs both a 32 bit and 64 bit version. If you have an OOM with the 64 bit version, you have quite the problem on your hands.

http://www.x-plane.com/?article=x-plane-64-bit-faq

Kyle Rodgers

I sure hope PMDG knows no one runs XPX in 32-bit mode anymore. That would suck if their first offering was 32-Bit only.

I sure hope PMDG knows no one runs XPX in 32-bit mode anymore. That would suck if their first offering was 32-Bit only.

I don't think you need to worry about that...

Kyle Rodgers

UHD is Ultra High Definition, and the author of the UHD Mesh warned in his post http://forum.avsim.net/topic/461260-uhd-mesh-scenery-v1-for-x-plane-10-released/

After the successful release of "HD Mesh Scenery v3" last December, the new "UHD Mesh Scenery v1" tries to push the limits of the X-Plane 10 scenery engine even further.

the "UHD Mesh Scenery v1" Scenery is very heavy on hardware resources and will only run smoothly on modern, higher end PCs. Its very important - before even considering a download - to have at least 16 GBytes of RAM and a modern / powerful GPU!

The same author of UHD Mesh released previously the HD V3 mesh which is the "regular" version. So personally, to be fair id rather test my future PMDG DC6 on a HD mesh rather then jumping to UHD directly ...

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

The program itself (X-Plane) is a 32-bit program. There's nothing you can do to change that. The amount of memory available - bit-wise - for the program to use will always be 32 (until they release a 64 bit version).

Ouch! :wacko: 

O.K., one can't always be 100% right, so that is forgiven... B) 

Congrats to your 12,000th post as of today! :drinks: 

Congrats to your 12,000th post as of today!  

haha - that happened?

Oh man...that did actually happen...I guess I need to get out on my bike more again.

Kyle Rodgers

I guess I need to get out on my bike more again.

This Saturday might be a good day for that: forecasted 17°C TX, just partly cloudy... B)

(Friday 4°C TX, showers of rain and snow though) :wacko:

For the time being I'm spending my spare time in XP-10 enjoying all the things we FSX'ers miss without actually knowing it.

It is great to e.g. take off in gusty cross winds on a sloped (and banked) runway with water/ice patches on it, feeling the A/C (in my case a 737-200) rolling like a ship in the storm. It will be somewhat hard for me to return to the "ironed" RWYs of FSX/P3D, because IMO XP-10 is much closer to a Level-D sim experience...

But one thing I would like to sent out to the PMDG team: also in XP-10 things can get broken.  There is an Nvidia-3D-Vision2 B)  wrapper (freeware) available for XP-10.25, unfortunately it does not work for the XP-10.32 version.

I have just downloaded the update for 10.35. Let's "see" what happens :ph34r: 

If Nvidia-3D-Vision2 won't get to work, it might be Oculus Rift, but there is a larger issue with OpenGL drivers being "at least under addressed" compared to DirectX in the expected Oculus release. So Oculus for P3D only?!  :unsure: