Sign in to follow this  
suvo

Prepar3d.exe continues to run in the task manager

yesterday i got a sudden duplicate FSUIPC.dll error while starting P3d. This was the first time i got this error. On quick investigationi figured out, it is because the earlier instance of Prepar3d.exe was still running on my task manager. I had to physically kill the process. From thereafter, everytime i am exiting out of Prepar3d, the instance keeps on running on the task manager with CPU utilization less than 0.01%.. It doesnt gets released automatically...

Any ideas what might be going on.. I tried finding whether there is any module which is locking Prepar3d.exe, but could not find any...

I installed the updated ORBX FTX Global libs yesterday and REX4 textures to P3d... This is a fresh install of Prepar3d v2.5 (without the hotfix)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Had the same issue today. I rebooted the pc to get around it. I think it may be a fsuipc error. It only happened after installing the latest e version. Which I did today.

I am continuously getting the same problem. The original error is pertaining to FSUIPC.dll but it is because an instance of Prepar3d.exe was running even after you exit out. I am not sure how a FSUIPC dll can hold the prepar3d.exe running

It could by FSUIPC not letting go maybe.

P3D 2.5 with 2.5.12944.0_Hotfix, FSUIPC 4.939e, no problem...

Jorge

Had same problem, disabled DSR and P3D shut down as normal..... :huh:

No DSR here. It only did it once. I thought I might have restarted P3D too son after closing it, which caused the error.

What is DSR?

If you don't know what it is, you won't have it enabled. It is enabled in the NVidia control panel.

Hi guys, i have just installed a projector that runs at 1920x1080... very big in front of me...

Would using DSR sharpen up the image somewhat on the projected image?

Cheers

Doug

This issue has been reported before. I observed it in the early 2.x versions, but never in 2.4. Now it's back in version 2.5. Doesn't appear after every flight, just erratically. Sometimes Prepar3d shuts down properly, sometimes it continues forever and I have to kill it.

It's been oftern said it's caused by addons, however, given I run the same addons in 2.5 as I did in 2.4 (actually even less) I doubt this. I don't run DSR, but FSUIPC 4.939d (and WideFS).

A solution would be highly welcome.

----------------------------------------------------

Would using DSR sharpen up the image somewhat on the projected Image? Doug.

----------------------------------------------------

May I ask you not to hijack this thread? There are numerous threads on DSR already. Thanks. 

Kind regards, Michael

May I ask you not to hijack this thread? There are numerous threads on DSR already. Thanks.

My apologies Michael, unthinking on my part!.... :unsure:

Ill search as you ave mentioned

Cheers

Doug

My apologies Michael, unthinking on my part!.... :unsure:

Ill search as you ave mentioned

Cheers

Doug

:smile: Thanks, Michael

Came into here to report same issues.  Mine started with 2.4 and has continued into 2.5.  I originally thought mine was from OPUS FSI because  P3d seemed to shut down normally if I did not run my OPUS.  I have since been unable to isolate it because it happens about 2 out of 5 times no matter what I run or don't run.   I gave up and now just reboot PC before each startup of P3D

not run my OPUS.  I have since been unable to isolate it because it happens about 2 out of 5 times no matter what I run or don't run.

This says it pretty well.

I recall this issue having been raised on the LM forum some months ago, but, as far as I recall, neither was anyone able to exacly isolate the cause nor to give a cure.

It is naisty indeed, notably, if you want to quickly experiment with different settings

Kind regards, Michael

This says it pretty well.

I recall this issue having been raised on the LM forum some months ago, but, as far as I recall, neither was anyone able to exacly isolate the cause nor to give a cure.

It is naisty indeed, notably, if you want to quickly experiment with different settings

Kind regards, Michael

Does this occur with a clean startup and afterwards exit of p3d?

When you say "clean startup", if you mean after a fresh PC reboot, the answer for me is YES. My exit procedure is by clicking on END FLIGHT and then EXIT P3D. Approx 30 - 40 % of these exits will still show the program running until I kill process.

I have observed a consistent behavior .. If you start P3d and you get the training scenario dialog and exit P3d from there without actually going into flight/missions, P3d exits properly from the task manager. But if you get into a flight and then exit P3d from there, it continues to run In the task manager..

Do you guys use ASN?  For me I've noticed when this has happened the asn file (im not at my pc now to tell you the name) but it's the add-on driver that runs from the as_srv folder in prepar3d.  I will notice that is still running in the task manager.  If I force close that, then the hung instance of Prepar3d will close itself out.

Do you guys use ASN?  For me I've noticed when this has happened the asn file (im not at my pc now to tell you the name) but it's the add-on driver that runs from the as_srv folder in prepar3d.  I will notice that is still running in the task manager.  If I force close that, then the hung instance of Prepar3d will close itself out.

Yes, I do. And I had this module deactivated in 2.4 - where Prepar3d.exe closed properly. I don't have time for any tests right now, but this might give an idea.

Kind regards, Michael

This can happen:

1.  Check your EXE.XML ... any entries in this file have the potential of running AFTER P3D terminates (Ultimate Traffic 2, GoFlight, etc.) ... on a restart of P3D these existing processes can become a problem as EXE is loaded twice or if coded to only load single instance might reference  a state that is no longer active/valid.

2.  Any 3rd party product that goes outside the SDK/PDK and directly access memory offsets in P3D can cause this issue (FSUPIC, ASN, and others)

3.  Being very close to OOM (3.8 to 3.9 GB VAS used)

For the EXE.XML entries they provide the filename (exe being used) those are easy to spot in taskmgr and need to be terminated.  However, those EXEs may not like being terminated ... for example, if I do this (kill task) with GFDev.exe (GoFlight) then I'll need to actually start GFConfig to clear any module states in my GF devices.

Ultimate Traffic 2 will sometimes also not terminate and I need to make sure that is killed prior to re-loading P3D.

Finally, sometimes P3D just takes a while to shutdown.

Cheers, Rob.

When you say "clean startup", if you mean after a fresh PC reboot, the answer for me is YES. My exit procedure is by clicking on END FLIGHT and then EXIT P3D. Approx 30 - 40 % of these exits will still show the program running until I kill process.

Rob has already given the answer what I mend in his point 1 ;-)

just to let you all know, when i reported this problem i was on p3d v2.5 (build 12943). After i upgraded to the hotfix 12944, I am not seeing this problem anymore in the same situations when it used to occur.

So something got fixed with the 12944 hotfix patch.

So something got fixed with the 12944 hotfix patch.

I still see the issue in 12944 ... Windows will actually log the slow shutdown of Prepar3d.exe in the OS Event log (use Event Viewer to see entry).  The delayed shutdown usually happens when I'm very close to OOM 3.8GB VAS usage and exit P3D.  In some extreme cases it can take as long as 1 minute to finally terminate.

I've only been able to duplicate this scenario with a heavy set of add-ons (fully loaded DLL.XML and EXE.XML).  

But to add more information I would have a slow shutdown in v2.4 also -- especially if I had UT2 loaded which has an entry in the EXE.XML.  In v2.4, UT2 would sometimes NOT unload when exiting which would cause all kinds of issues the next time I loaded P3D.  My guess is LM did some additional work in P3D v2.5 shutdown to wait for these EXE processes to unload before it unloads.

If you have a base v2.5 (no add-ons at all) try to see if you can duplicate the slow shutdown ... I wasn't able to create the situation, but maybe others can on a base v2.5.

Cheers, Rob.