Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

BBC sacks Top Gear's Jeramy Clarkson

I have no idea what Top Gear is

Seriously?

That's an impressive feat for literally anyone on this planet to have avoided Top Gear!

It's a British made car enthusiasts show (that extends into many elaborate 'adventures' and stunts).  As well as in th UK, it's huge in the US, Canada. Germany, China, Japan, and is the most commonly watched TV programme per se, in the middle east (primarily UAE, Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait).

Ive been into it a few times over the years but, all told, I don't think you've missed any life enhancing opportunities by missing it thus far!

Having worked at the BBC for numerous years, hot headedness is part of day to day television work unfortunately - this is a tiny thing that has been blown right out of proportion.

I also work for the BBC, and whilst I agree that 'hot headedness' is indeed to be expected -- I can't say that I've ever seen any presenter, either at the BBC or anywhere else I've worked, physically assault somebody (and I've worked with, and continue to work with, plenty who are not shy of a tantrum). Huge rows, language that would make a sailor blush, very unpleasant verbals, pens, headphones and even computer monitors going across the studio (but not in anybody's direction, I hasten to add) -- absolutely. But physical violence? No.

Whilst I think Clarkson's a brilliant broadcaster, ultimately he left the BBC in a no-win situation. Having put him on a final warning after the previous incidents, it was hard to see how the outcome could have been any different. However he may have been provoked, there is no excuse for physical violence, and you also have to consider the message that would have been sent by keeping him: basically, that it's OK to hit someone over a disagreement. Both internally and externally, that would have been an unacceptable message for many.

nobody will ever know the instances where Clarksons patience was tested and how many times before this incident.

I promise you, however many times Clarkson's patience was tested, it will be nothing compared to the number of times the producer's patience was tested by Clarkson! If you'd like an insight in to the life of a TV producer, this is a good read: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/jeremy-clarkson-a-tv-producer-reveals-what-its-like-having-to-endure-presenters-tantrums-10104983.html

Oh well. There wasn't much point paying my TV licence before. Now there's precisely zero.

Time to disconnect my aerial, cancel the TV licence and just watch Netflix. Which is all I do watch anyway other than Clarkson et al.

On the bright side this will save me money!

"Alas, he'd assumed he was the indispensible man...."

But the thing is, I don't think this applies to Clarkson at all.  From his own statements I think he knew full-well that he was down to his last thin chance, and that any transgression would mean the end of it.

This show almost has a cult like following in the Middle East.

As it did here in the US, despite that fact that Clarkson and company were not exactly gentle when it came to the US and its denizen's.  I guess I don't take myself or the show's hosts seriously enough to do anything else but laugh along.

Scott

The one thing I can't agree on is the "one punch" comment. 

Definitely NOT justifying the punch ... but I seriously doubt a single missing meal after a long day was the only source that triggered the anger ... I'm pretty sure much discontent between Clarkson and the Producer had been building up over the years with the Argentina issue digging in (he often referenced on the show even months later).

Clarkson knew he was wrong in his actions, he reported himself to the BBC bosses before any official statements were made.

Cheers, Rob.

Definitely NOT justifying the punch ... but I seriously doubt a single missing meal after a long day was the only source that triggered the anger ... I'm pretty sure much discontent between Clarkson and the Producer had been building up over the years with the Argentina issue digging in (he often referenced on the show even months later).

Clarkson knew he was wrong in his actions, he reported himself to the BBC bosses before any official statements were made.

Gotcha.  I think we're on the same page then.

Scott

that show was reportedly the BBC top earner at £50 million PA,I would not be surprised to see the three of them again on another tv company soon,I would be amazed if he hadn't already been in talks,this all happened just a couple of weeks before signing a new contract!,usually if you want to stay employed somewhere you stay quite put on a good face etc, esp so close to having your contract renewed,he even started swearing about the BBC at a dinner whilst under suspension!,all reported in the paper,s,now he has been sacked,I believe he engineered it,time will tell

peter   

Look, I'll grant you the show is often hugely entertaining and Clarkson is a brilliant interviewer.  It's just that all that would be just as true without all the sometimes-racist, often puerile laddie-cr*p he kept pulling.

You want to try a better car show - and one that always stayed classy?  Go here.  

I would not be surprised to see the three of them again on another tv company soon

Of course. The problem is that the BBC owns the Top Gear format, so whilst they could do something similar they'd have to make it substantially different enough to get past the intellectual property lawyers.

If the BBC has any sense, they'll sell the lot -- format, presenters and all -- and make a fortune whilst also washing their hands of it. Sadly, I doubt such pragmatism will rear its head.

That looks dull as dishwater.  Sorry.

Far from it. 'Click' and 'Clack' (Tom and Ray Magliozzi) are incredibly funny, charismatic, and always entertaining. I listen to Car Talk occasionally and thoroughly enjoy every minute of it. 

Far from it. 'Click' and 'Clack' (Tom and Ray Magliozzi) are incredibly funny, charismatic, and always entertaining. I listen to Car Talk occasionally and thoroughly enjoy every minute of it. 

If you enjoy it, great.  I actually listened to the the latest show on the website and, erm.. Nah, I'll pass thanks.

I can't imagine anyone that actually liked Top Gear for Top Gear (rather than longing for a serious car show) getting anything from it....

Not to put down the "Tappet Brothers" who certainly can be entertaining at times, the only real commonality here is that cars are involved.  They're very different concepts, starting with the fact that Car Talk is a radio program and continuing down a very long list from there.

"Better" is a very subjective thing.

Scott

Not to put down the "Tappet Brothers" who certainly can be entertaining at times, the only real commonality here is that cars are involved.  They're very different concepts, starting with the fact that Car Talk is a radio program and continuing down a very long list from there.

"Better" is a very subjective thing.

Scott

Fair points.  I mentioned Car Talk mainly to point out that it's possible to do a (differently) entertaining car show while staying classy and respectful of people.

I really enjoyed a lot of Top Gear and for that matter a lot of Clarkson - which to me makes it even more of a shame that he kept breaking the speed limit, so to speak, because the show would have been just as good if not better without the swipes at countries, ethnicities, classes of people, etc.

Of course, to be really fair, Clarkson did a lot of that because it made the show money and it's what the producers wanted.  Somebody recently pointed out about Brian Williams that, true, he fabricated stories and that's truly unforgivable in a news person, but he did it partly because the TV news now wants its anchors to be personalities who have adventures instead of just good journalists. It might be similar here.  "Go on, Jeremy, do your Jeremy stuff, we're making a fortune on it..."  And then, of course, he goes too far, because people who make their living stepping over the line always wind up going too far.  He should have know better, but the showrunners should have, too.

I can't imagine anyone that actually liked Top Gear for Top Gear (rather than longing for a serious car show) getting anything from it....

Actually Car Talk was famous for wandering so far away from cars that you could barely tell it was a car show anymore.  

Maybe not to your taste but if you ever get a chance to spend some more time with it, it might grow on you.  It's a slow build.  Or if not, not.

There ought to be room for a good well-planned NGX flight, and also for an evening of mowing down zombies.

Probably better, though, if the zombies look like zombies and not like any recognizable nationality or ethnic group... which if they did, would result in the game getting shut down and then where'd the zombie-shooting excitement be?

I'm frustrated by Clarkson, is my point.