Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

BBC sacks Top Gear's Jeramy Clarkson

I'm frustrated by Clarkson, is my point.

Understood Alan. 

The whole idea of what constitutes political correctness vs what really is offensive by any reasonable standard is ticklish at best.  I don't think there's any question that Clarkson crossed that line on occasion, though I'm of the opinion that some of the stuff he's been criticized for is just plain PC at its worst.  The world will be a poorer (and a duller) place if we can't have a bit of a laugh at our cultural differences at times.  He certainly wasn't shy about US bashing, but I never took serious offense over it and often found much truth to laugh at.  It's much like watching an episode of The Simpsons.  How can you get upset when your sacred cow gets gored when you know the show does such a good job of being an equal opportunity offender to others' sacred cows?

BTW, thanks for your take on the BBC's culpability in some of what Clarkson's been criticized for.  They've enormously benefited by letting him be who he is, and many of his so-called gaffes were allowed to air with full knowledge that they'd take some heat and they'd benefit by the controversy.  Remember that in the end, it's his sustained verbal and physical attack of a co-worker that did him in.  And relative to the other stuff, remember also that he and the show strongly appealed to a world-wide audience, successfully crossing many ethnic and cultural boundaries. 

Not bad for someone labeled by some as a "xenophobe".

Scott

I don't get why people get so upset over ethnic jokes. I'm an American from the south but I don't get upset when he makes fun of southerners or Americans I just laugh because some of it is true. When he makes fun of the Germans I don't get upset even though I'm of German desent. Why is everyone these days so sensitive about words or others thoughts . It's like everyone is 5 years old and wants to cry about the bully calling them names.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

And yet still the world turns...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I'm just trying to think of a way now to link this topic to anything that is related to aviation.... :lol:

James May has a pilots license and I think Hammond has a helicopter license? Is that enough to make it aviation related?

I've kind of lost interest in top gear as it has descended into just a collection of heavily scripted "stunts" which were just becoming more and more absurd and less and less funny (Hammond taking a bite out of the visor during a dull trip across the Ukraine?).

The ratings in Australia at least just kept on getting lower and lower with each new season.

I'm sure the 3 of them will show up on some other broadcaster soon though but they will probably never be able to recapture the good times.

www.antsairplanes.com

The whole idea of what constitutes political correctness vs what really is offensive by any reasonable standard is ticklish at best...  It's much like watching an episode of The Simpsons.  How can you get upset when your sacred cow gets gored when you know the show does such a good job of being an equal opportunity offender to others' sacred cows?

Agree on both points.  

I guess my personal preference is for something that goes after big targets that 1) can fight back and 2) might need some taking down - for example, the NASCAR establishment that makes an enormous amount of money by playing the God, Guts 'n Guns card(s)... as opposed to the rank-and-file fans who maybe don't have a lot of good stuff happening in their lives.  

But like I said, just a matter of my own taste... others' mileage can (and should, and will) vary...

This is too bad, I liked Jeremy Clarkson, he said very good things about New Zealand when he normally bash other nations:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/8435743/Top-Gear-presenter-NZ-is-the-real-holy-land

I am thinking the three of them should get into another network and start a show called 'Gear Top'   :lol:

Matthew Kane

Guest JetFueler

I think what people lose sight of with Top Gear and all of the goofy challenges and stunts is the actual journalism and information hidden inside the candy shell of their shenanigans.  Their ridiculous Eagle iThrust or whatever hybrid that was actually quite bright in concept but still proved how difficult it is to develop such systems as a one off less alone for mass production.  The Vietnam trip was exceptional and eye opening.  

Yes, there were a lot of empty segments serving no other purpose other than being entertaining.  Compact cars playing football or a rally car racing a bobsled really don't do anything other than make for entertaining television but then again, that was kind of the magic formula that made that show work, wasn't it.  If it was just the presenters driving cars all the time, even if it was in the form of their challenges or creations it would have gotten very stale long ago.  I always thought that they mixed it up just enough to keep it interesting with out straying too far.

As for Jeremy Clarkson... there is no denying the guy is kind of a tool, is there?  But like James May said: I quite like him.  I also appreciate his creativity and vision that made Top Gear what it is.  Read 'The Man In the White Suit' by former Stig Ben Collins.  He reveals the Jeremy was actually one of the driving forces behind Top Gear and was at least partially responsible for the stylized approach to filming, the over all format as well the Top Gear live shows.  He, himself is definitely not Top Gear but it's hard to say he's not the keystone and removing him will most certainly make the show collapse.

I've enjoyed Top Gear since I first discovered it back during series eight I believe, and I never had a problem with the 1001 ways Jeremy should have offended me.  I respect the fact that he did what he did for his art because you've got to admit that Top Gear was as much art as it was journalism.  And it is probably this artistic side that Jeremy does in deed have that has made him rather highly strung and cause conflict.  It's not like that is anything new.  How many bands break up because the members get into altercations over stupid things which are really the result of artistic tensions.  Some bands have members that aren't even on speaking terms.  Same with actors and directors.  That doesn't make verbal or physical abuse alright but it's certainly not unexpected as such!

I'm just trying to think of a way now to link this topic to anything that is related to aviation.... :lol:

Why does it need to be "related to aviation?" Do you imagine that guys chatting in any hangar only talk about aviation stuff?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Very, very well said Grant. I think you've nailed it. No Clarkson, no Top Gear. Shame. :(

By the way, I do love a nice Spitfire. Failing that a Cessna C152.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Very sad news indeed, been to every live show since 2008. Hopefully they can find a home on another channel soon.

Top Gear was the Monty Python of car shows. Taking away (pick one) Clarkson / May / Hammond would be like depriving Python of (pick one) Cleese / Idle / Palin / Gilliam. It simply will not be the same.

End of an era. Thanks for the laughs, fellas!

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

key man

Regardless what you think of his actions, the show is finished.  Not an easy decision, but it is what it its.  Almost remincicent of the Charlie Sheen debacle on Two and a Half men in 2011.

Was the old term not GBH and for GBH is a likely prison sentence for the man in the street whether he makes you laugh or not.Rant over have ni :rolleyes:ce weekend