Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

BBC sacks Top Gear's Jeramy Clarkson

Top gear is 30% cars, 70% (clarkson, Hammond and May). Now, bye bye bbc top gear, looking forward for the (hopefully) new show

It was a good show, but was getting a bit contrived and too deliberately staged.

Clarkson might have been a bit funny at times and I rather felt his 'offensive' remarks over the years were just unofficially sanctioned PR for the show, but he crossed a line you don't cross and all credit to the BBC for axing him regardless of some of the financial and ratings implications.

It's nice to see a taxpayer funded institution actually living some decent principles though (Westminster take note please!)  Not to mention there are other people out there who could do his job just as well without quite as high a pricetag on their heads.

As for the Argentina mess the whole lot of them should have realised that was never going to turn out well and should never have let it happen.  To lay it all on the producers head is a bit misplaced I think Rob :P

Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I for one am protesting. I will not watch top gear with out all three. To me the show is dead. Too bad the stig cant be taken out of the show. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Another case where a celebrity believes he is living in a parallel universe to us mere mortals...too much money, beyond the law...no accountability....untouchable....he got what he deserves. Well done to the BBC.

I'm just trying to think of a way now to link this topic to anything that is related to aviation.... :lol:

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I can honestly say that I won't be watching Top Gear if they go through with this. It also appears that James May and Richard Hammond may leave Top Gear as well as they refused to film episodes without Clarkson.

Well, as of today they have gone through with it.  I've just seen a public statement on TV from the head of entertainment at the BBC confirming Clarkson's departure from the BBC.

The thing is, would anyone reading this expect not to be sacked if they punched their boss in the face, in the staff canteen, over food?

The UK has reasonably strict laws on conduct in the workplace and I can't think of any example where someone was sufficiently violent as Clarkson was, where they would not be dismissed for gross misconduct.

Can we really make exceptions just because someone is on a popular TV show?

Clarkson has pushed the boundaries many times - this time too far, and I guess his luck ran out.

They have gone through with it.  I've just seen a public statement in TV from the head of entertainment at the BBC confirming Clarkson's departure from the BBC.

The thing is, would anyone reading this expect not to be sacked if they punched their boss in the face, in the staff canteen, over a sandwish?

The UK has reasonably strict laws on conduct in the workplace and I can't think of any example where someone was sufficiently violent as Clarkson was, where they would not be dismissed for gross misconduct.

Can we really make exceptions just because someone is on a populat TV show?

Clarkson has pushed the boundaries many times - this time too far, and I guess his luck ran out.

The guy may have deserved it they say it's over dinner but like somone else pointed out the guy who got hit is the same guy who put the guys in danger in Argentina. Who knows the producer may have gotten smart and in the end it's a punch not like he stabbed him.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

in the end it's a punch not like he stabbed him

Um, right, because people punching people in the workplace is an OK routine everyday thing...

I've enjoyed Top Gear but have never really been fully down with the whole transgressive laddie rude brit thing.  Not just the Argentine adventure (which I agree is a group thing, it plays off the sensibility they developed for the show and many adults had a hand in it) but the trip to the southern US where they chalked "NASCAR sucks" and such on their car - I'm neither a southerner nor in the target demographic for NASCAR but I don't much like ordinary people being treated like fools and held up for public ridicule.  

There's too much coarseness out there as it is.  Who needs more?

Am glad the BBC did what it did, and I hope some new crew can keep up the entertainment value without as much frat boy nonsense, or whatever it's called on the other side of the Atlantic...

Top gear is 30% cars, 70% (clarkson, Hammond and May). Now, bye bye bbc top gear, looking forward for the (hopefully) new show

Agree.   The current format of the three naughty schoolboys was getting very tiring. Top Gear does need a breath of fresh air, just as it did in 2000 when they sacked the previous old fuddy duddies and brought in Clarkson / Hammond / May.

The truth is, they are now the tired fuddy duddies, and it needs new blood again.  I'd personally like to see a good (knowledgeable, credible) female presenter.  Like Vicki Butler-Henderson, who used to be on Fifth Gear on Channel 5.

Um, right, because people punching people in the workplace is an OK routine everyday thing...

Somtimes people deserve to be hit. It helps restart theirbrains after a momentary bout of stupidity haha jk but making him publicly apologize and take anger management classes would have been better and allowed BBC to keep making money.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

'm pretty sure ALL 3 (May, Hammond, Clarkson) will be picked up by another media outlet.

BBC works in inconsistent and mysterious ways ... I guess the BBC head forgot about how the Producer really MESSED up the Argentina episode by putting the entire cast and crew in REAL LIFE THREATENING danger. Yet one punch to that same producer gets Clarkson fired?

I've heard rumblings that this (the whole cast migrating elsewhere) might indeed be the case.  On the other hand, Clarkson himself has intimated that perhaps his day is done.  We'll see I guess.

The one thing I can't agree on is the "one punch" comment.  If I threw one punch were I work that would absolutely be that for my career.  As it should be.  I don't know who was culpable for the Argentina incident and perhaps someone should have been let go over it, but whatever the situation punching someone over the lack of hot food doesn't play, last straw or no.  I don't think even Clarkson is suggesting what he did was right or excusable.  He's pretty upfront on the issue of his penchant for crossing lines without proper forethought.

Scott

Having worked at the BBC for numerous years, hot headedness is part of day to day television work unfortunately - this is a tiny thing that has been blown right out of proportion.

I have a sneaky sense this is linked in with the beebs new cuts culture thanks to the lordship Tony Hall...

Ah well Netflix, Sky or ITV shall soon be picking them up :)

The BBC's recent track history is a bit of a joke (roll on the royal charter review...)

I'm pretty sure ALL 3 (May, Hammond, Clarkson) will be picked up by another media outlet.

BBC works in inconsistent and mysterious ways ... I guess the BBC head forgot about how the Producer really MESSED up the Argentina episode by putting the entire cast and crew in REAL LIFE THREATENING danger.  Yet one punch to that same producer gets Clarkson fired?  

That producer really shouldn't still have a job after the complete mess and unfinished episode around Argentina.   I guess the "no food" finally pushed Clarkson over the edge and he exploded.  Anyway, looks like May quit also, and possibly Hammond.  

I think the show will return on a different outlet and most likely called "Best British Car show" ... BBCs

I like the show, really enjoyed their trips around the globe in various cars ... especially the old Lotus ;)

Cheers, Rob.

It's almost like we're in the same industry, one punch is nothing... People need to move on, the producers themselves and production team thought it was nothing! It was Danny the head of television who suspended Jeremy because Danny is an absolute prat for less of a better word.

This whole thing has went way out of proportion.

but the trip to the southern US where they chalked "NASCAR sucks" and such on their car - I'm neither a southerner nor in the target demographic for NASCAR but I don't much like ordinary people being treated like fools and held up for public ridicule.  

People who can't handle someone insulting their favourite sports & backward conservative values without behaving violently are indeed fools who deserve to be ridiculed. I loved that episode. 

No more Top Gear for me if Clarkson is indeed gone. 

"Alas, he'd assumed he was the indispensible man...."

It's an old proverb, and it relates to people who seem so popular, we can't imagine life without them in their given space ......... but the viewing public are fickle and are quick to turn to the "new thing".

Wait and see who (if anyone) replaces him - the right choice could keep Top Gear as the most exported TV show in history, whilst also attracting fans who were turned off by Clarkson's often bigoted and arrogant persona.

I'm sure Clarkson will realize that he went too far but as all things BBC, nobody will ever know the instances where Clarksons patience was tested and how many times before this incident.

Clarkson is quite eccentric, agreed, and I suppose such an attribute stems both his entertainment factor as well as being short with people (be it staff of the show or others trying to catch a glimpse of him) but I'm not quite sure BBC realizes what a blow this will be for the show and loyal followers who enjoy him. This show almost has a cult like following in the Middle East. Without 'Jezza', you lose most of the entertainment that this show has become more than it being factual, informative or anything of the like. I also feel this is truly the last TV show that's actually a show based around adventure so to see it go is painful.

I don't stand by Clarksons actions but at the same time I cannot deny his almost god-like ability to keep me entertained. I wish the best to him, May and Hammond (if they decide to leave as well) and I can't comprehend this show being presented by anyone else.

I have no idea what Top Gear is, and browsing the comments here, it doesn't sound like I've been missing much.