Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

I think the ASN update destroyed my FSX

When you say it was a file concerning EZCA I looked at that but since I don't understand code I was wondering how that could happened when I installed EZCA per their instructions. Any ideas?

It was a formatting issue with the EZCA entry.  I can't, and won't speculate, on how the formatting got that way.  Again, it comes down to the thousands of different types of computers and setups.  I have EZCA, and I didn't have this issue.  You did.  Can we pinpoint it?  Probably not...but because of your help, Damian and Kostas can program ASN's installer to accommodate this potential problem so it won't happen again.

Basically, an installer (any installer) looks for a certain format to install it's "bits".  If that format isn't there, it runs into problems.  Now, I'm in no way a programmer, so don't ask me how it works!!!  :)  Even that is over my head!

Yes sir, I agree.  You don't know how appreciative of this I am.

I will make sure I post in other forums how well Devin helped me as well as ASN themselves.

They now have my business for as long as I'm in the hobby.

Again, than you and if I insulted HiFi or anyone else I apologize and stand corrected.

Thank you Jack.  That is gracious of you.  I'm sure Damian and Kostas will both appreciate that.  Support is one of the hardest things to do...you have to appreciate it's mostly people who are upset...and it's even harder when 3 FS programs (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D) each need their own kind of support...and it's a holiday to boot!!   Thanks for putting the record straight and enjoy ASN!!

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

"Considering your self proclaimed complete lack of computer savvy, I'm inclined to believe that it will resolve itself as something YOU did on YOUR system"

Jaxck - the complete statement was:"

Considering your self proclaimed complete lack of computer savvy, I'm inclined to believe that it will resolve itself as something YOU did on YOUR system *BUT* I will refrain from pointing the finger as we just do NOT have enough info.

I did NOT accuse but I DID suspect. AS I said - we have enough info and it was NOT anything you did. Accept my apologies if you felt accused.

Main tning is - it's working and HiFi et all did an outstanding job!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

No problem Vic.  I'm not offended.  I'm not upset either.  I know you were probably trying to help figure this thing out and figured it was something I might have goofed up on.  Heck, I try not to goof up installs but I can see your point completely.  No offense taken.  Have a good one and thanks for your help.

Jack Sawyer

From what I can tell there is nothing wrong with the syntax of the original exe.xml file (at least as posted -- without having the actual file can't say for sure).  Not standard perhaps but it passes my syntax checkers.  I think maybe HiFi needs to look at their xml parsing engine for things like whitespace or cr-lf line endings.  I don't know if the fact that the actual files are encoded in windows-1252 makes a difference or not.

scott s.

Whenever I see a brouhaha like this I smile and pat myself on the back for my "no update" rule, which is whenever something as complex as our sims and all the complex add ons is running well, I DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING. I've been seeing the ASN "Please update me" screen pop up the last day or so and I've said NO, NO,NO, and will continue to say NO, NO, NO for the foreseeable future. Once the bodies have been cleared and the software wizards figure it out, then maybe I'll let ASN update itself. Until then........NO, NO, NO :)

Whenever I see a brouhaha like this I smile and pat myself on the back for my "no update" rule, which is whenever something as complex as our sims and all the complex add ons is running well, I DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING. I've been seeing the ASN "Please update me" screen pop up the last day or so and I've said NO, NO,NO, and will continue to say NO, NO, NO for the foreseeable future. Once the bodies have been cleared and the software wizards figure it out, then maybe I'll let ASN update itself. Until then........NO, NO, NO :)

Dont know why, ran the Beta, and the update no issues.

Well, if you read the above posts HiFi said they were aware of it and they were VERY gracious and helpful to me despite my reluctance.  I cannot thank them enough.  They went WAY above and beyond and now have a customer for life.  Devin was VERY helpful as well as HiFi.  Best support you could ask for.  As they said only a few had issues and they're gonna issue a patch.

I am now very pleased and glad Devin convinced me to go ahead and send the files after I did the update.  I only wish I knew even a little of what they know about reading and understanding all that code.  I can fly but not program.  I have a lot of respect for programmers.  Envious even.

And, thanks AVSIM for putting up with all this, I appreciate you guys too!

Jack Sawyer

Watch that bus while crossing the street you risk taker you!

I update anything and everything, whenever they're available. I JUST DON'T CARE! :lol:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Well, if you read the above posts 

Jack we need to charge you double for all the hard lessons learned here lol kidding - glad the HIFI Team worked it out for you

Rich Sennett

Jack we need to charge you double for all the hard lessons learned here lol kidding - glad the HIFI Team worked it out for you

Ha!  That's cool Richard!  I did learn a lot and you guys are amazing.  I keep repeating myself but I am very grateful for your help.

And @Don Tonks, I don't understand your post.  What were you trying to say?

Jack Sawyer

Ha!  That's cool Richard!  I did learn a lot and you guys are amazing.  I keep repeating myself but I am very grateful for your help.

Jack you have to start somewhere and this is where I did - learned so much here - most of it actually - huge thanks to the Man Tom Allenswoth

Rich Sennett

Okay, my turn!  I had kind of the same experience as Jack.  Did the ASN SP2 update and lost Ultimate Traffic 2 and my Saitek panels and instruments.  I saw that HIFI is working on a fix and will wait patiently.  One thing I did notice was that when I tried to bring up UT2 I got "Error loading default UT2 or FSX settings, multiple root elements line 27 position 4". Has anyone seen this error or have any idea where these settings might be located?

Jack you have to start somewhere and this is where I did - learned so much here - most of it actually - huge thanks to the Man Tom Allenswoth

Yes you do and I'm glad I did.

I heard about Mr. Allensworth.  I was sorry to hear about him.  I read his bio on a Wiki.  Although I'm much younger than he was we had the same BBS background.  What a shame, I hope he rests in peace.

Okay, my turn!  I had kind of the same experience as Jack.  Did the ASN SP2 update and lost Ultimate Traffic 2 and my Saitek panels and instruments.  I saw that HIFI is working on a fix and will wait patiently.  One thing I did notice was that when I tried to bring up UT2 I got "Error loading default UT2 or FSX settings, multiple root elements line 27 position 4". Has anyone seen this error or have any idea where these settings might be located?

Did you follow the thread and see what Devin did to fix it for me?  Maybe it would work for you too?  I wish I could help, I hope you get it resolved.  HiFi was very helpful, did you submit a ticket?

Jack Sawyer