Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

I think the ASN update destroyed my FSX

Thanks netshadoe, I'm torn, should I wait for a patch or should I install it and send the contents of the file?

I'm going for a walk to think about this...

Jack Sawyer

Jack - as another beta tester of ASN I can say I ran into NO issues at all with either FSX or P3D. Also, if it were a general problem we'd sure have heard a bunch of yells by now. So it seems that it I something specific to your system and install. The more info, logs, file copies, etc you can provide, the faster we'll resolve your issue.

Since you say you've opened a ticket, I'm sure they'll get you squared away.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'm not sure but I think it's their new Affinity Mask setting.  The first time I said yes.  It totally messed up my FSX.cfg file as it created a new one so no cameras.

This time I chose no.  It wants to place an affinity mask value of 88!  I said no.

It even has a nag screen you can uncheck to ask if you want to have that setting applied to your cfg file every time you start ASN.  It creates a backup of your original but the first time I restored it and it was still messed up.

I have no idea what affinity mask even does.

Hi Jack,

I would recommend the use of EasyToolz - http://www.easytoolz.de.vu/ - to set your CPU's core usage instead of adding any affinity mask settings in the cfg file.

I have tried all weather engines and find that FS Global Real Weather not only depicts weather very realistically, it has a lower memory footprint than ASN, which is really helpful in high VAS areas.

Cheers,

Jerome

Hi Jerome but I'm sorry, I wouldn't even know where to start. I have absolutely zero knowledge about CPU's, cores, all that. I had mys system built by Jetline. All I know how to do is fly. But I am a babe in the woods when it comes to log files, hardware, and all that. I'm trying to learn but at times it seems overwhelming.

Just got in from my usual daily hike in the forest. I think I'll wait till HiFi gets back to me through a ticket. If they don't then I'm going to ask for a refund.

Also, I'm not the only one, there have been others with this exact problem.

I'm so fed up right now I could spit nails. My frustration level is extremely high and I have zero patience for incompetence from HiFi.

I know most people don't have this issue but I did twice in one night after a complete restore. I don't really want to go through that hassle again.

I know you guys would love the files but it's very stressful for me to do this, like Einstein supposedly said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

But, I do appreciate all the outpouring of help, I really do. You guys have been terrific and I am very grateful for that.

Jack.

Jack Sawyer

I haven't update to SP2, in fact I've gone back to SP1 for the great turbulence effects. I'm glad I haven't updated to SP2! Good luck in getting an answer to this Jack.

You mena to tell me this uprgrade doesn't have that? What? Why the heck did they delete it?

I liked that effect too.

Jack Sawyer

SP2 absolutely has turbulence effects. CAT was tuned down as many complained about turbulence interfering with their approach and landing. Can't please everyone, unfortunately. And even with SP2, a user can still adjust the turbulence slider beyond the default 70 if more turbulence is desired.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

Got the ASN update warning as well...so I installed the updated SP2...prompted me to accept/cancel change affinity mask to 14 in order to prevent FSX lockups...ok sounds good...selected it...no issues after a 5.1 from KPHL to KPHX...then KPHX to KSAN... and a flight this morning from KSAN to KSFO (all payware airports)....TrackIR works fine...I don't see any strange behavior so far...

I spend most of my time trying to tweak my PFC throttle quadrant in FSUIPC these days anyway : )

Rich

Hey, just to join the party.  I did the ASN SP2 update today, although it didn't destroy FSX, I lost my Saitek gauges and panels and my UT2. Just thought Jack would like to know he has company. Being computer illiterate as I am, I did manage to find the xml files mentioned above and everything seems to be in order.  Guess I get to play with customer support tomorrow. Just thought Jack would like to know, he's not alone. 

Randy Lusk

I upgraded this morning and no problems at all. Currently on a hop from kiah to tjsj. It's stopped the weird stutters that I had after I installed sp1. So far I'm liking the update!

Is there a way to get turbulence back to sp1 intensity? I kinda liked it.

supporter.jpg

Hi Jerome but I'm sorry, I wouldn't even know where to start. I have absolutely zero knowledge about CPU's, cores, all that.

Hi again Jack,

That's fine, you don't need any knowledge, all you do is download and install the program and then perform a one time setup for Core usage, it's really easy and simple. After that, the program will automatically start with your Core configuration every time upon bootup. It really boosts performance and is worthwhile. If you need any help setting it up, I'll gladly assist.

Back in 2013 ASN manipulated some FSX files thereby blocking FS Global Real Weather:

http://airdailyx.blogspot.de/2013/12/asn-and-fsg-real-weather-nope.html

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/428870-asn-dll-affect-other-wx-addons/

So they have a history of their software "interfering" with other programs.

I can highly recommend FS Global Real Weather, there are some really interesting videos on YouTube that offer a good comparison between ASN, FS Global Real Weather and Opus, such as this one for example:

http://goo.gl/ss2zdb

FS Global Real Weather is the only weather engine that I know of that has built-in local weather effects, that are triggered when certain meteorological conditions exist:

http://goo.gl/qZWdSW

Cheers,

Jerome

I run ASN on a networked client. On my first start yesterday ASN stated an update was available and asked if I wanted to download. I declined then ASN closed. It would not run without updating, which didn't make sense. After downloading the update and reinstalling the svr thingy EZOK was broke. Re-installed it and it's working.

Bob

You mena to tell me this uprgrade doesn't have that? What? Why the heck did they delete it?

I liked that effect too.

I had a issue awhile back where my trackir and ezca camera stopped working out of the blue, after scavenging the internets for a bit I found that deleting a file in the appdata/fsx folder fixed the issue, it was a corrupted wxstationlist file, delete it and the next time you fire up fsx and asn a new one will replace it. That will solve the issue with your trackir and ezca.

I upgraded this morning and no problems at all. Currently on a hop from kiah to tjsj. It's stopped the weird stutters that I had after I installed sp1. So far I'm liking the update!

Is there a way to get turbulence back to sp1 intensity? I kinda liked it.

All the update does is set the default to 70% - want more?  Increase it. The turbulence hasn't been "removed".  :) 

Personally I like it at 100%. To me it's just like all the years that I spent flying IRL - very realistic. Can be difficult in some situations but that's how you learn.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Randy, please let me know how you make out. HiFi wants me to install the patch, break my FSX installation and then send them a bunch of files. I don't know what I want to do yet as I don't really fel like being their beta tester and guinea pig. I will however back up those two files someone mentioned above in this thread, that's a good idea.

So whoever psoted that, let me ask you a question as I'm a novie at this kind of stuff. If I run the patch again for the third time and it happens again and I just copy over those two files everything should work? I lost the use of ALL the Add-ons from the drop down Add-On menu. I lost EZCA, UT2, Couatl, GSX, and even though it's not in the list I lost Track IR. So how will restoring those two files help? I'll have a sucesful update and the Add-On menu restored? How does this work?

Thanks all, yesterday I recieved every one of your responses and they were all interesting. It also seems I'm not alone.

Jack Sawyer