Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

ACTIVATE YOUR COPY OF WIN XP

Why is it neccessary to develop a new operating system every couple of years and for us ( the customer ) to buy it ? This is ofcourse a rhetorical question . To make money ( for Microsoft ) .

It's a silly question - unless you'd still prefer using MS-DOS 1.0?

An operating system is not like hardware. (I'm in IT.) It's not mandatory to swap it out -- and charge for a new version -- rather than update it with a service pack or make available additional optional functionality unless there's a fundamental underlying architectural change (like 32 bit to 64 bit). The only reason for Windows 8.x or 10 rather than Windows 7.1, et cetera, is the consumer revenue stream. Corporate users will have support contracts regardless.

Most often "new" making "old" obsolete is a business decision, since bringing old up to newer capabilities generates no income.

Arthur Lewis

//reference to deleted post removed by moderator//

Posting links to software that removes the activation routines from software is not a great idea.

The only reason for Windows 8.x or 10 rather than Windows 7.1, et cetera, is the consumer revenue stream.

That's amazing, I had never considered that !

Who would have thought that a corporation like MS with shareholder interests to protect would think like this.

Perhaps they should just release free updates forever and not worry about revenue streams going forward, that should work

The point remains that obsolescence in commercial software packages is less often a matter of technical limitations than business requirements that aren't the users', who should feel no pressure to discard software that's suitable to purpose.

Arthur Lewis

It's a silly question - unless you'd still prefer using MS-DOS 1.0?

Where in my post did you read that ?

I am not against progress , I just do not see the need to rush out and buy a new operating system every time Microsoft release one ( windows ME / windows 8 anyone ? ) . How many people posted here on Avsim that FSX didn't work after buying windows 8 ? Didn't concern Microsoft one iota , they already had their money .

Maybe I am from a generation that does not feel the need to have the latest gadget and am satisfied with what I have . I even have a mobile phone that I can actually phone people with , it's a step up from two tins and some string .

John