Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

NGX Wedgetail

Hi all

I was just randomly thinking about various things and came to thinking about the NGX - and the Wedgetail variant in use with the RAAF. Any chance, now that we've seen the Poseidon done, we can have the visual external model of the Wedgetail done? I'd even be willing to pay a small price for it. Please? 

Hi all

I was just randomly thinking about various things and came to thinking about the NGX - and the Wedgetail variant in use with the RAAF. Any chance, now that we've seen the Poseidon done, we can have the visual external model of the Wedgetail done? I'd even be willing to pay a small price for it. Please? 

The P8 was done years ago for Boeing and they decided to release it as a gift. It was not developed specifically for us. So I don't think that a wedgetail would be likely. I would bet the -900ER and or BBJ would be more likely. 

But it'd just be a simple external model. No changes to flight dynamics or interior textures required. Just a big antenna on the roof and a few other minor extra's on the fuselage. Easy!

But it'd just be a simple external model. No changes to flight dynamics or interior textures required. Just a big antenna on the roof and a few other minor extra's on the fuselage. Easy!

That was exactly my argument for PMDG to produce the P8 more than two years ago. It fell on deaf ears.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Is someone like a repainter able to add the necessary antennae to the external model and offer it for free on avsim's file library?

Wes gets a gold star for reading what I wrote and relating it accurately!

I wish we had more behaving like Wes in this forum!  B)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Is someone like a repainter able to add the necessary antennae to the external model and offer it for free on avsim's file library?

One our 'great old timers', a reviewer with the username "Chock" did a repaint of the iFly 737NGX for me and I adapted it to the PMDG edition. I haven't loaded any PMDG add ons up for the last few years but here is what it looked like. Of course, the real P8 has many more external features, most notably very different wing tips, and a bomb bay door among other things.

I found this in the archives.

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:10 PM

mcbellette, on 10 Aug 2011 - 10:02 PM, said:

What model is that? Is it from another developer? Free or payware?

It is payware from PMDG. It is a highly modified B738 - 737NGX. I don't have the paintkit yet and it has a few ugly spots near where they change the diapers and on the engine nacelles but if you fly fast and act like you know what you are doing most folks don't care. I'm not sure I could do much better with the paintkit but I could probably fill in the blanks. I'm hoping PMDG releases an actual Military Variant as an add on to the base kit. The P8-A is a real mixed bag from Boeing. Bits and pieces of the 800 and 900 with extra fuel, hopped up engines, bomb bay doors, missiles, torpedoes, etc.

Ray

You may find the repaint by looking at the old IFly 737 version. One of the links is talking about adding it to the Avsim Library back in 2011.

Regards,

Ray

(I'm looking for some old jpegs now)

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/336136-holy-cow-batman-theres-pigs-in-the-air/?p=1985020

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/342909-the-makings-of-a-p-8a-poseidon-paint-for-the-ngx/?p=2060921 Scroll through this thread and you will find a screenshot of the PMDG 800 that I dressed up as a P-8A.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/336136-holy-cow-batman-theres-pigs-in-the-air/?p=1984787

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/336136-holy-cow-batman-theres-pigs-in-the-air/?p=1984977

PMDG_P8A-c.jpg

P8-Chock5.jpg

The P8 was done years ago for Boeing and they decided to release it as a gift. It was not developed specifically for us. So I don't think that a wedgetail would be likely. I would bet the -900ER and or BBJ would be more likely.

Wes,

Would you please expand on your post? Who did the P8 years ago for Boeing? PMDG?

... and they (who are they? PMDG?) decided to release it as a gift. A 'gift' to who or whom? for FSX?

When and where can this gift be found?

Thanks,

Ray

Wes,

Would you please expand on your post? Who did the P8 years ago for Boeing? PMDG?

... and they (who is they? PMDG?) decided to release it as a gift. A 'gift' to who or whom? for FSX?

When and where can this gift be found?

Thanks,

Ray

Ray,

Below is the story on the P8. Btw, it's included in the latest NGX update.

Sean Campbell

Weston,

I am guessing that probably haven't seen the comments that appear with the P-8 in the sim, and probably haven't read any of my comments here in the forum regarding the P-8.

We didn't actually make the P-8 for our retail customers during this update cycle.  The P-8 model was created by us back in 3Q12 for an altogether different application for which our work was invited by Boeing. 

Since we had the mdl laying around doing nothing, we figured you guys might enjoy having access to it because it is something new and different.  It cost us nothing to add the item to the base package as a nice gift for all of you, and we felt it would be enjoyed because it is yet another variant of the 737NG series airplane.

I probably shouldn't need to say this, but I will:  The performance data, operational data, data related to most of the military systems, the application, integration and operation of the sensor suites carried onboard are mostly classified and those that aren't classified are very sensitive in nature and information related to them is tightly controlled.  Any documentation related to those pieces of information are only available to people who need them and to companies that have classified information handling procedures in compliance with US Federal laws.

PMDG is not one of those companies, nor do we wish to be, and no we haven't been exposed to any of it.

Again, I point out that this model was created originally for Boeing at their request a couple of years ago- so it was not consuming development resources during this update cycle.

Why did we choose not to do a complete P-8 simulation or a BBJ or the SSW mod?  For all of the reasons above.  This update cycle was about P3D only originally, but then became about FSX-SE when it debuted.  This cycle had nothing to do with adding new aircraft to the simulation and we have stated that all along.

We will likely do the BBJ and the SSM wing at some point in the future- but we need to purchase the data for them first- and we have to have the developer time budget allocation available.

I'm sorry our effort to do something nice for everyone else in the community has upset you- but I reject your notion that we "have to" do anything just because you demand it.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Wes gets a gold star for reading what I wrote and relating it accurately!

I wish we had more behaving like Wes in this forum!  B)

Robert,

I am a big fan of Gold Stars, and fan appreciation, but, the post by Wes, where you awarded the gold star to him, is just about as clear as mud to me.

May I ask you, Who did the P8 for Boeing? and who are they as in "they released it"? and who got the 'gift'?

Is it available to PMDG NGX 800 customers that bought the add on back in 2011? How about the new P3Dv2 purchasers of the product?

Regards,

Ray

Edit - Seems like Sean cleared it all up while I was typing my questions. Thanks Sean.

Edit - Seems like Sean cleared it all up while I was typing my questions. Thanks Sean.

You're welcome. Enjoy your P-8!

Sean Campbell

You're welcome. Enjoy your P-8!

Sean Campbell

Yes, Thanks again. I downloaded the latest update and fired up FSX-SE. Wow, I haven't seen default scenery in a very long time. The P-8A is a great addition to the NGX.

Regards,

Ray

Yes, Thanks again. I downloaded the latest update and fired up FSX-SE. Wow, I haven't seen default scenery in a very long time. The P-8A is a great addition to the NGX.

Regards,

Ray

Ray,

If you hadn't updated the NGX in years, not only do you get the P-8, but also working weather radar if you have ASN installed. Two goodies in one update.

Sean Campbell

Robert,

I am a big fan of Gold Stars, and fan appreciation, but, the post by Wes, where you awarded the gold star to him, is just about as clear as mud to me.

May I ask you, Who did the P8 for Boeing? and who are they as in "they released it"? and who got the 'gift'?

Is it available to PMDG NGX 800 customers that bought the add on back in 2011? How about the new P3Dv2 purchasers of the product?

Regards,

Ray

I am glad you have the answers you wanted, enjoy the P8 as it is a pretty cool freebie from the team at PMDG.

Wes