Sign in to follow this  
G-YMML1

Night Lighting during Dusk and Down in P3D 2.5

As I moved to P3D right from Fs2004, I noticed that night lighting has slightl different mechanism that it was in FS2004. In fact, the lighting becomes active when it's getting way too dark and remains off during mild dusk/dawn times.

It is just me or it's normal for P3D?

Thanks

Dmitriy

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

which lights did you observe this with?

the lighting becomes active when it's getting way too dark and remains off during mild dusk/dawn times

That is one reason why I switched from FSX/P3D to XP-10. FSX/P3D are just texture based dawn/day/dusk/night "transitions" (switches) with some light-FX on top, while XP-10 uses real lighting: sun & moon as natural lights and artificial sources lighten the scene as it would happen in real nature... (something I don't want to miss anymore)

B)

That is one reason why I switched from FSX/P3D to XP-10. FSX/P3D are just texture based dawn/day/dusk/night "transitions" (switches) with some light-FX on top, while XP-10 uses real lighting: sun & moon as natural lights and artificial sources lighten the scene as it would happen in real nature... (something I don't want to miss anymore)

B)

I think the lighting is the best part of X-10. not so much with the rest of it...

B)

Funny, but FS2004 was able to handle it very well.

which lights did you observe this with?

FTXOrbx and UTX

I think the lighting is the best part of X-10. not so much with the rest of it...

+1

Too many sacrifices in all other areas just to get the great XPX lighting

Too many sacrifices in all other areas just to get the great XPX lighting

"Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder" :rolleyes:

My suggestion for everyone who thinks that FS9/FSX/P3D/FSX:SE might not be the end of the world should try something new and exciting...

Those who are extremely happy with what they have should perhaps stay where they are B)  .

After all the in great parts "Much Ado About Nothing", my secondary sim remains FSX, but those days are counted if not already over... :unsure: 

And what about the new DTG "project"? Maybe there is "a (real) light" at the end of the tunnel. But spectating the giant wave of upcoming developments for XP-10, I prefer to join this extremely professional based sim rather than a probably further entertainment platform... :ph34r:

My suggestion for everyone who thinks that FS9/FSX/P3D/FSX:SE might not be the end of the world should try something new and exciting...

Those who are extremely happy with what they have should perhaps stay where they are B) .

After all the in great parts "Much Ado About Nothing", my secondary sim remains FSX, but those days are counted if not already over... :unsure:

And what about the new DTG "project"? Maybe there is "a (real) light" at the end of the tunnel. But spectating the giant wave of upcoming developments for XP-10, I prefer to join this extremely professional based sim rather than a probably further entertainment platform... :ph34r:

lol - all good - use what you enjoy

I've been using X-Plane since version 5/6 (can't remember which it was so long ago)

Fully versed in what it's great for and where it falls short, as our most on here who comment about XPX

As for "professional use" - What do you think LM is developing P3D for? Warming up bagels on a GPU?

you are welcome to do little search and judge for yourself

we use the similar type of lighting used in XP10

I’m not allowed to post pics outside our forum

i can safely say our night work today surpasses XP10

before anyone start with XP10 is better; it not a competition!

XP was my totem pole developing Night Environment for FSX

we both offer 3D lighting in various colors sizes and shapes

we differ greatly with our night textures; which sets us apart from the rest of the pack

As for "professional use" - What do you think LM is developing P3D for? Warming up bagels on a GPU?

:ph34r:

I bought the professional versions for P3D v1.x and v2.x. I am also an "owner" of PMDG's T7-200/300 and NGX8/900+6/700 for P3D (and some more stuff). So I put quite a lot of "financial liquid assets" into this path but stopped the "process" exactly because for what you humorously call "Warming up bagels on a GPU?".

I really liked what LM announced and produced during the transition between V1.4 and maybe up to V2.3. But it became clear that "Titans" were needed to handle the "eye candy stuff", which BTW is a matter of taste. The sim stuff falling apparently behind IMO, running other planes than default ones made my sim experience a 15FPS slide show......

.... I found a "resource friendly" solution focused on simulation (e.g. environmental depiction and influences, structural awareness, failure simulation, connectivity (hardware and software) etc.) and I am happy with it.

"Enjoy variety" should be the motto from FS9 to "XYZ"-sim and as I said: if someone is extremely happy with what she or he has, they should stay with it...

:ph34r:

I bought the professional versions for P3D v1.x and v2.x. I am also an "owner" of PMDG's T7-200/300 and NGX8/900+6/700 for P3D (and some more stuff). So I put quite a lot of "financial liquid assets" into this path but stopped the "process" exactly because for what you humorously call "Warming up bagels on a GPU?".

I really liked what LM announced and produced during the transition between V1.4 and maybe up to V2.3. But it became clear that "Titans" where needed to handle the "eye candy stuff", which BTW is a matter of taste. The sim stuff falling apparently behind IMO, running other planes than default ones made my sim experience a 15FPS slide show......

.... I found a "resource friendly" solution focused on simulation (e.g. environmental depiction and influences, structural awareness, failure simulation, connectivity (hard and software) etc.) and I am happy with it.

"Enjoy variety" should be the motto from FS9 to "XYZ"-sim and as I said: if someone is extremely happy with what she or he has, they should stay with it...

Can you try to use a few more quotations? ;-)

Seriously though - You are banking on XPX's implementation of environmental depiction?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy XPX for what it is, but it doesn't simulate the visual aspect of flying (notably VFR) very well at all - Just never been their focus (how it looks)

(please don't start on the HD and UHD Mesh - Those are great, but have really nothing to do with airport or populated area scenery and depiction)

Regarding VFR in XP10 you might already have read this thread? (no quotations used :lol: )

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/467781-xp10-vfr-in-the-czech-republic/#entry3229934

There's really no point in going back and forth - I'm fully aware of all the goings on in the XPX side of things.

If you keep doing your homework you'll find that Tony's work on that autogen, while exciting, has slowed down tremendously and is a LONG way off from anything usable in most of the world (data sourcing issues)

It's the usual with XPX - Not enough 3rd party support so a patchwork of somewhat exciting concepts and ideas and 1/4 cooked concepts, etc.

I will always keep my eye on them (just like the last decade) but it's off my main burner for now.

Anyways...this is a misplaced conversation - I PM'ed you if you'd like to keep chatting about it.

...back on subject

Those who are extremely happy with what they have should perhaps stay where they are B)  .

Well I tried X plane, as well as P3d, and FSX, and a couple of multi million dollars sims that the airlines use, and X plane is definetly not at the top of my list.. There is always a "giant wave coming for X-plane ", been hearing that same story for years and years. Just hasn't gotten to my shore yet  ;)

I really wanted to like X plane.

I bought version 9 and tried the version 10 demo but I just couldn't get used to the flight dynamics whether on the included or payware aircraft. They just didn't feel as realistic as FSX/P3D. A real pity as X Plane looks fantastic in other areas.

I bought version 9 and tried the version 10 demo but I just couldn't get used to the flight dynamics whether on the included or payware aircraft. They just didn't feel as realistic as FSX/P3D.

Maybe it is a matter of taste. B)

I personally perceive XP-10 much more like the real thing. Taxiing, take off roll, flare, landing and roll out. Everything reminds me of what I have witnessed during my active PPL time and in Level-D simulators of Lufthansa's B737-300/500...

Regarding the OP. Below a screenshot of what you get out of the box when using XP-10 (EDDL, Duesseldorf Germany).

FJS_732_TwinJet_58.png?dl=0

Night lighting has always been the main area where XPX wins in my opinion.

That said the lighting is way too uniform and consistent along highways and in general.

I like XPX's night lighting way more than FSX/P3D's, even with Orbx FTX Global and Night Environment. Other than that, I feel like all the aircraft in XPX have this really plastic-y look to them.

Again, this is personal opinion.

Night lighting has always been the main area where XPX wins in my opinion.

That said the lighting is way too uniform and consistent along highways and in general.

I've never tried any version of XP but from 2 hat I've seen, I would have to agree that the night lighting in XP looks better than anything available for FSX or P3D. However, that's the only thing that intrigues me about XP. I still have not seen a set of clouds in XP that I liked the look of.

Sean Campbell

But it became clear that "Titans" were needed to handle the "eye candy stuff", which BTW is a matter of taste.

Now how did this turn into an XP10 vs P3D thread ... or maybe I should say of course this would turn into an XP10 vs. P3D thread. ;)

But if you would be so kind as to start a thread in XP10 on how to get a Titan X (as I'm almost certain that comment was aimed at me) to work at reasonable (30 fps) frame rates with even modest AA settings, please do start a thread over on XPlane forum so I can take a look.  As of right now my Titan X gets horrible frame rates and stutters in 4K res in XP10.35 and that's with A LOT of "eye candy" turned down ... it's as if nVidia forgot that OpenGL still exists for Windows platforms.

Back on topic:

In fact, the lighting becomes active when it's getting way too dark and remains off during mild dusk/dawn times.

Not exactly sure what you mean here are some shots from NE's sweden ...

Dusk 21:13 pm

50f17cfd93cb51090cadcf5945373d0f.jpg

Dusk + 1 hour 22:13pm

f42b7e3000ce3408f4ce5e926f2e28ba.jpg

Midnight 12:13AM

633c3c67449315fdf4cf5e01929a8765.jpg

Rob, you seem to have the same issue I do with NE add-ons in P3D.  Have you noticed that with tessellation off the distinct orange colouring on major roads at night is a much softer yellow?  It looks clearly to me that tessellation is the direct cause of the colour change.  I find the deep orange unrealistic, and it seems that the ground splash image opacity is also somehow affected.

It's been raised by a few people on the LM forum including myself, but with little feedback really.  Saul made a suggestion that it might not be fixed til v3, which is of course LM's prerogative, but from the language used it seemed just an educated opinion, it wasn't LM official feedback?  It just would be nice to get a bit of certainty that it's known, accepted or not, and something that can be addressed or not, with or without a timescale :P

Cheers K

My SweetFX night flying profile vorrects the deep orange.

Tesselation causes colors to get a little darker and more saturated.

Indeed tesselation will be fixed in v3.

Now how did this turn into an XP10 vs P3D thread ... or maybe I should say of course this would turn into an XP10 vs. P3D thread. ;)

But if you would be so kind as to start a thread in XP10 on how to get a Titan X (as I'm almost certain that comment was aimed at me) to work at reasonable (30 fps) frame rates with even modest AA settings, please do start a thread over on XPlane forum so I can take a look.  As of right now my Titan X gets horrible frame rates and stutters in 4K res in XP10.35 and that's with A LOT of "eye candy" turned down ... it's as if nVidia forgot that OpenGL still exists for Windows platforms.

That's really odd indeed.

I was just poking around in XPX yesterday again on the install I keep for it and I'm able to usually get 25-30fps in 4k (4096x2160) w/ HDR and 2x AA (any AF settings work too) in most areas I like to fly.

The exception is around Seattle as I have scenery dialed up a lot (overgrown, chicago suburbs, tons of objects, etc).

Surprised you're having an issue with that Titan!

Maybe a fresh install or something?  Very odd

Maybe it is a matter of taste. B)

I personally perceive XP-10 much more like the real thing. Taxiing, take off roll, flare, landing and roll out. Everything reminds me of what I have witnessed during my active PPL time and in Level-D simulators of Lufthansa's B737-300/500...

Regarding the OP. Below a screenshot of what you get out of the box when using XP-10 (EDDL, Duesseldorf Germany).

The screenshots has always looked great.  Where's the AI/ATC on the level of FS9/FSX/P3D???  That's the killer for me.  Flying around in lonely skies albeit great looking is akin to MS Flight.  Flying involves so much more than taking off flying around looking at scenery.  There's an interactive world the X-Plane totally misses.  Until that's realized I for one see no value in it.

As I moved to P3D right from Fs2004, I noticed that night lighting has slightl different mechanism that it was in FS2004. In fact, the lighting becomes active when it's getting way too dark and remains off during mild dusk/dawn times.

Thanks

Dmitriy

P3D is still under development.  Let LM know in their forums and I'm sure they'll take a look. They've been very good with addressing user input plus all of us agree with you on this point so you'll have no problem getting support from the community to get this addressed.

Flying involves so much more than taking off flying around looking at scenery.  There's an interactive world the X-Plane totally misses.  Until that's realized I for one see no value in it.

The interesting part is the scenery element to me.  XPX is a reasonable way to just brush up on procedures, etc and it performs a bit better on my system (more consistently slightly higher FPS), but the autogen is just anemic in XPX.  Trees look terrible and every part of the world looks identical from a building/scenery perspective.

I've done all I can w/ XPX as I have literally every good add-on for PNW region and have coated it in my own G2XPL ZL17 Ortho Gmaps scenery -- And it looks mostly "fine", but just doesn't pop and the regions don't vary in look enough like they should.  Just leaves me empty ultimately.  (and the free scenery thing is a double edged sword of "no updates" since it was free)

If all I did was fly at night, I guess I could use XPX and be mostly happy.