Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Windows 10 reservations now available for Win 7 and 8 users!

Also, you can downgrade drivers and we need confirmation that you can still remove individual updates from W10 Home. Until we know otherwise, we can take an educated guess that yes, you can remove individual updates

Alright, this is what I found. On the "new" settings program,you can't uninstall updates, only see them:

post-254482-0-27720200-1433286108.png

post-254482-0-89756400-1433286110.png

However, when I opened the start menu and started looking for updates, I found this menu in the "old" Control Panel that shows installed updates and allows you to uninstall them:

post-254482-0-01879500-1433286117.png

So, there it is. The updates are uninstallable. However, as I said before, this split between the Control Panel and the "new" Settings panel is really frustrating, as you see.

Here I see that you can also disable Windows Updates directly from the Services program:

post-254482-0-62271300-1433286115.png

The update menu shows this after you disable Windows Updates:

post-254482-0-97242800-1433286117.png

So, just to be clear, you can install updates, just from the control panel method, i.e Add Remove Programs, but not from the other window?

I cannot see MS removing the ability to uninstall updates due to the fact that an update could break something, and thus needs to be removed

So, just to be clear, you can install updates, just from the control panel method, i.e Add Remove Programs, but not from the other window?

All updates have to be installed through Windows Updates on the "new" Settings program. There isn't a Windows Update on the Control Panel anymore, unlike Windows 8 or 7.

You can uninstall programs from the Control Panel, but not through the "new" Settings program.

I've found something weird with my machines. Two are running win 7, one home 64 bit, the other running prom64 bit. The win 7 home machine got its little 'reserve win 10' icon today when I switched it on. However, the pro machine hasn't got it at all. Both machines have the GWX update installed, but the pro machine shows no sign of getting the notification.

Hmmmm

Jess B

If I may add a couple of things to this thread about "forced" updates. When we signed on to the Windows10 Insider program, it was pretty clear that updates would be pushed and installed as they became available. This makes perfect sense in that this is a "work in progress" and Microsoft wants everyone to be on the same version so that all the installations would be the same. I do not know, or does anybody, I would guess, how the final version will look and what will be the procedure for updates - will they continue to be installed in the same manner as the test Win10 version we are using now?? I know that I sure don't! Microsoft has time yet to make that decision, or change what they may be planning now.

To make my point a bit clearer, the screenshots above, post #47, are from build 10074. There have been two builds since that version - 10122 and the most recent is 10130. Each of these builds are different both visually and "under the hood".  When the RTM version is released, there may well be many new changes and possibly some of the things we have in build 10130 will be removed. That's just the nature of the Insider program. Nothing in stone at this point.

Lyn

To make my point a bit clearer, the screenshots above, post #47, are from build 10074.

You're right. I just noticed my preview was on the "slow" upgrade schedule. I have changed it to "fast" and it is now downloading the new version,

I got just the same: my laptop shows the Wondows10 icon for the upgrade but my main PC (with W7 Pro) does not show the icon. Yet it got the GWX folder inside the System32 directory of windows...weird...

Does anyone know the reason? Does this mean that the Win7Pro of my main PC cannot be upgraded to W10?

Thanks

I've found something weird with my machines. Two are running win 7, one home 64 bit, the other running prom64 bit. The win 7 home machine got its little 'reserve win 10' icon today when I switched it on. However, the pro machine hasn't got it at all. Both machines have the GWX update installed, but the pro machine shows no sign of getting the notification.

Hmmmm

Jess B

Edmundo Azevedo

I got just the same: my laptop shows the Wondows10 icon for the upgrade but my main PC (with W7 Pro) does not show the icon. Yet it got the GWX folder inside the System32 directory of windows...weird...

Does anyone know the reason? Does this mean that the Win7Pro of my main PC cannot be upgraded to W10?

Thanks

W7 Pro can be upgraded to W10 Pro according to their FAQ: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq (Look under "What edition of Windows will I get as part of this free upgrade?")

I suppose the offer hasn't been rolled out to W7 Pro people yet.

I apologize if this has been asked, but does anyone know if I'll need to uninstall P3D, FSX, FSX-SE, and all of the addon's and then reinstall with Win10?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

Diego, do you know of a link to download that 'fast' new version (post #67?

I apologize if this has been asked, but does anyone know if I'll need to uninstall P3D, FSX, FSX-SE, and all of the addon's and then reinstall with Win10?

You don't have to uninstall anything, just reinstall which is going to be the hardest part because basically you're computer is deleting EVERYTHING, even folders (if I'm correct which is the downside.) So be sure to back up any files before you proceed! I suggest using Dropbox because at least you can just re-download your files there easily.

It will only remove everything if you run a clean install and format the drive. If you upgrade and do not format then it will leave you're files

From what I can tell reading all of this (and I thought I saw it in one other post), there is no "clean install" of this free WinX. If you do not purchase it at some future date, or buy it ona new machine, the only choice you have is to let MS upgrade your Win7/Win8 to WinX. I have always installed a new Windows after reformatting my drive and doing a fresh clean version. I think way back in the first Windows days, I might have upgraded it one time, with terrible results, and never tried it again.

That being said, does everyone seem to think that letting MS upgrade your machine is safe enough? Or is there a mindset up here that it is better left alone? I ran WinXP/64 right past Vista, and held out till the last minute before reformatting and installing Win7/64. And then re-installing FSX and tons of add-ons. I do not look forward to doing that again, but if this Win10 upgrade, over a current Win7 install, will be somewhat safe, and let me keep flying without a total cluster-you-know-what, I might try it. I was running XP well after MS stopped supporting it, and will do so with Win7 if I need to.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg