Sign in to follow this  
rfelger

Windows 10 compatibility

Read this post, then let's hear your opinion.

My PC didn't "..started running by itself and eating CPU with high disk access..."

As another poster said " no "NickN said so" isn't proof!

Oops Kyle - I don't know how this ended up in a PMDG thread. I guess we just get to blame you guys for everything!      :wub:

Did and 'upgrade' from 8.1 to Win 10 preview 9927 a while ago. No obvious problems with FSX or P3DV2.5 and NGX/777. No reinstalls needed. Joystick dropouts fixed. Did a clean install of Win 10 preview 10074 with FSX SE and P3DV2.5 and NGX/777 on new SSD and subsequent upgrade to latest build Win 10 10130 and no obvious issues either. You may have to do the odd reactivation on some things. For example you have to 'reactivate' itunes. Can't promise everyone will have no problems.

As an aside, I've used the NGX and 777 flights/panel saves created in previous FSX installs on 8.1 (with earlier version of NGX/777) in P3DV2.5 with no obvious problem except TCAS is alway off when you load the NGX. No big deal. Can't face doing all those flights again.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

Howard- thanks for sharing your experience with the hardware drivers in Win8.1. The oft reported driver issues made me a little gun shy vis a vis upgrading from Win7 Professional to Win8.1. Besides, I really hated the GUI. It sounds like Win10 will maybe put my apprehensons to rest. I usually wait out any significant software upgrade until SP1 release but I missed the boat on FSX SE and will probably take MS up on their kind offer - as long as my T7 and NGX are okay.

8.1 drivers appear to install and work okay in Windows 10. There is also an Nvidia windows 10 driver available.

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

... as long as my T7 and NGX are okay.

Rick - I have updated 8.1 installations that had FSX and P3D installed, and both, including the T7 and NGX worked perfectly afterwards.  No reinstalls of sims or add-ons were required.  I have also updated Win10 tech preview machines that had both FSX and P3D installed (along with the PMDG stable) and all worked just fine after upgrading to a later Win10 TP build.

While I understand there are countless hardware/software combinations out there, I had zero problems at all with the sims and add-ons on my computers.  There were, however, issues at times with Win10 TP builds, but that is to be expected with "beta" code.

You'll probably be just fine with the Win10 upgrade, but again, your computer and suite of add-ons are different than mine so YMMV.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Windows 10 works fine with my PMDG products when treated in a similar way to 8.1 (Installation in separate folder to Program files, run as admin etc etc - things even Windows 7 users should be doing.)

Windows 10 will be the primary edition of Windows going forward, our company has already roadmapped moving all of our clients to this OS within 1 year of release date of July 29th 2015. Very few of the specialized software vendors have put up a fight and most are well on their way to "official" support.

Windows 10 is planned to be incrementally updated behind the scenes and thus may be the final "major" version of Windows, henceforth, developers will need to ensure their products work with the latest updates on an ongoing basis. (There will be options in the business versions to delay the deployment of certain updates for a period of time)

When P3D goes DX12 only, you will be forced to upgrade. And it is for the best. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-why-directx-12-is-a-gamechanger

Agreed. Even Windows 8 is a very good OS at a technical level if you can overlook the poorly thought out GUI. Compare 8 and vista - which would you have?

Dan, I have a great deal of respect for you and am a bit saddened to see that you are considering MS's offering as spam. If you already have Win 7, 8, 8.1, what's the harm in offering a free upgrade to 10? Would you say the same about Apple, when you go into the store, a nice big advert for Yosemite for example? I think that Microsoft has \ is re-inventing itself under the leadership of Satya Nadella and recovering from the crazy mess left by Ballmer et al. Offering this update free is a good sign of faith for all those who rue the day they got Win 8.x and hated it - it IS what 8.x should have been and offering it free is a good way of giving a little back to the users. If you really hate MS and Windows so much, why use there products? If it was not for MS and Windows, I am not sure Avsim would even be around let alone PMDG etc. (Yes I realize there are other platforms but none come close to Windows \ FSX \ P3D combo.

A very sensible choice. Even I don't usually just jump in the deep end with new releases. Just don't write them off entirely as some would have us do.

A fact that I hope will change to "supported" at some point after release. (Obviously PMDG can't support a pre-release product)

I just don't see how encouraging Win 7 going forward will be sustainable - go into major retailers and it is difficult to find Win 8 Pro - downgrade Win 7 Pro computers at a normal retail level.

Windows 10 is planned for release on JULY 29 2015. - http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-release-date-price-news-and-features-1029245

Wes,

Well thought out post.

Wes,

Well thought out post.

Thanks Graham - I tend to write too much sometimes however !

Thanks Graham - I tend to write too much sometimes however !

Writing too little and spreading misunderstanding is worse than writing nothing at all.

I have been running 10 x64 since the original insider build and am now at build 10159. On my test machine I am running a 2-3 year old AMD processor 3200ghz with a SSD for the OS and a standard platter 1 TB for FSX,  a GTX 650 video card and 16GB RAM. So not top of the line by any means. I own several PMDG, ORBX , A2A products as well as other scenery addons. I also have PFPX and fly on VATsim using vPilot. All of these things installed as if I were running windows 7. My hardware is Saitek proflight yoke and TrackIR. Both of those also run without a hitch.  I have also tried X-plane and P3D on my system and can tell you I have not had any issues. Yes there was the Nvidia driver issue but they fixed it with in a day.  The only one that I have been having issues with is Aivlasoft EFB. I tried it in Demo mode and it didn't work. ( I have not tried contacting their support since It was a demo) looks like a net framework issue but never pushed it. I have what seems like better memory management and windows 10 seems less bloated than the others but that could be user perception. We have to remember that this is still in beta and not complete, so hold off on the sky is falling posts. As far as I am concerned FSX is coming off of my 7 machine and on to my 10 permanently.  

One of the major reasons for the free upgrade is the millions of pirated copies in the Far East.  MS wants to get as many of those users as possible back on a licensed version so that they can then detect and control the other pirated software.  MS, like many other software companies is migrating to a SAAS company - Software as a Service.  Soon, there will no longer be boxed commercial software available, it will all be SAAS and it will be for rent and subscription.  Free Win 10 is the first major gambit in that effort.

Personally, I think Apple is far more onerous that MS, but since they are the "cool" company, nobody worries about it.  They lock your operating system, control your hardware and upgrades, control your pictures, your music, your video.  They send out itunes updates every 15 minutes or so and try to install two or three other pieces of software at the same time.  Much more Orwellian, in my opinion.

Late reply. Just wanted to say your post was bang on.

Writing too little and spreading misunderstanding is worse than writing nothing at all.

Wes,

I looked at my reply and it may have been misleading. It was actually just to say I'd rather see a lot of good words, than a few bad ones.

I installed P3D on it's own SSD in a clean install of Win10 Preview 10162.  Interesting that I was able to get P3D 2.5 12945 installed, but the install of 12946 bombed during the DirectX part of the install.  Not quite sure why.  Now the fun begins.  

Jeff Callender

Windows 10 has been flawless with all of my programs and hardware even without a clean install yet - very happy adios win 7 - vendor driver support for windows 10 has been excellent

Rich Sennett

Guest devgrp

For some strange reason dx9 is messed up in fsx. I did a clean install of 10240 with the latest Nvidia drivers and there is a black screen at the plane select panel when it starts up. If I hit fly now it loads up fine. Because of this Nvidia inspector doesn't work. This has pushed me towards dx10 which works with without issues. On previous builds dx9 worked fine so 8 don't know what Microsoft did in this rtm build

Downloaded and installed WIN10 four days ago, and have had no problems with it at all except with FSX.  It would run fine -- but then anywhere from 10 seconds to  3 minutes it would freeze with a message similar to this:  "MSFSX has stopped working."  Duh!  Yesterday I got a popup from NVIDIA offering a new windows 10 driver.  I installed that and my woes seemed to be cured.  I completed a 15 min VFR with no problems.  But today I was going for about a 1 hour VFR when it crashed again about five minutes into the flight.  MS assured me that I was compatible with WIN 10 before I downloaded it, but apparently that does not cover FSX.  I do not for the life of me understand whey MS would offer an OS that would not work with their own products such as FSX!