Sign in to follow this  
mtaxp

10.40 (Beta 1) is out!

The only thing that I´m not sure about are wind alofts -> i made a short flight from LOWW - LDSP (winds on the ground are ok) but it was very "calm" in the air !

can somebody confirm that ?

Cheers !

It appears it only works in US.

Quote from X-plane dev blog

"I don’t know the data source, but I think it’s US only; you’ll have to ask Austin. Third parties can input their own winds-aloft files from wider or different data sources too."

I installed 10.40beta on my imac 27", it is a big step forward on many things.

-dsf load times are vastly improved, no more sim pauses while loading dsfs specially when flying heavy payware.

-lighting is a lot better, it was hard to see vasi/papi lights on 10.3x

-winds aloft makes climb/descending and flying at different altitudes a lot more dynamic. Winds change direction and intensity all the time. great +

-extended dsf range is amazing at medium/high altitudes compared 10.3x. BUT it is a NO GO to me. It kills 10-12 fps on my system going from 30 steady to 18 fps and even below at times which makes the simulator sutter and suffer a lot.

Manuel Merelles

Didn't try winds aloft yet , but for those who did, when updating weather , is wind changing smoothly or just abruptly (which sometimes may make a damage to the plane)?

Didn't try winds aloft yet , but for those who did, when updating weather , is wind changing smoothly or just abruptly (which sometimes may make a damage to the plane)?

Seems very smooth to me

-dsf load times are vastly improved, no more sim pauses while loading dsfs specially when flying heavy payware.

-lighting is a lot better, it was hard to see vasi/papi lights on 10.3x

-winds aloft makes climb/descending and flying at different altitudes a lot more dynamic. Winds change direction and intensity all the time. great +

-extended dsf range is amazing at medium/high altitudes compared 10.3x. BUT it is a NO GO to me. It kills 10-12 fps on my system going from 30 steady to 18 fps and even below at times which makes the simulator sutter and suffer a lot.

Hello,

I don't yet...have a reason for my FPS turn-around...but I have DSF Extended on all the time now...with pretty much staying between 24-30 FPS.  The first installation attempt by myself, was a very poor FPS experience. My FPS tanked to 15 at the high, pretty much. 

What I did...was to go through a full download cycle back to XP.36. That was yesterday evening. I flew, and had my old near-30's back. This morning, (not wanting to give up..or not use .40b1), I downloaded once more .40b1, over a NEW .36 installation.  I crossed my fingers, and fired up .40b1

My jaw dropped....with all my always-ran settings back in place, as well now, as DSF Extended clicked on....my FPS were right back at 22 (the low), to mostly staying at 29-30 FPS!!!   I shot those pics that I have in this thread. This was the same airport (KMYR) that had only given up 15 FPS, prior to a second install.  I then dropped to the Desktop...and fired up XP.40b1 again.  Again, to my amazement, what had been a three or more minute 'grind' to get to the airport (looooooooooooooong loading times)...now....now, it was around a minute or so...with all the HD and S(uper HD mesh installed.  

The ONLY thing I did...was to uncheck, the BETA tag, on the update...have a full .36 loaded back onto the hard drive...and then, re-apply (with now, beta checked) a download of .40b1.  That..for what ever reason (there were no others...that I can figure out!!!) gave me a screamin' FPS pounding .40b1 installation.  That was the only thing I did...that I don't normally ever do.

So...perhaps, one needs to have a pristine .36 on their system, for the .40b1 to overwrite files to.  I'm just throwing this out of my hat...for who knows...but for myself...and with that being the only thing I did, to get great .40b1 FPS performance and load-in times...it might be the ticket for you to try.  I hope this helps.

Again...with DSF Enabled, and with my (in post) settings in play...the pictures show me getting 30 fps mostly, and in heavy mountains (with HD v3.0 Mesh) near KBZN, showing me getting 25 (average) FPS, at FL180.   Give a reload back to .36 and then a reload on top of that, back to .40b1 a try. It sure can't hurt, other than the time you spend doing it....

Cheers!

Mitch'er

Mitch, bare in mind it's beta 1 (2), I'm sure it will imrpove. Ben did mention there will be graphical issue/glitches, so hopefully it will improve. If you're installing this beta, then you should certainly take the time to report your findings. They improved/updated the code they used for OpenGL, so I'm sure there will be problems.

Both performance on Mac OS X, and loading times are a big improvement for me. 

It is such a huge improvement and makes high altitude flying more enjoyable.

Hi Tony...having a blast with .40b1, as it seems to have corrected itself, with a clean install over, and equally clean .36 install.

I was running above Andras's HD v3.0 around Bozeman...and the view....wow....I now think this is the only sim that gives that view, clear...clear out to the where the land meets the sky...100 miles or more...simply fantastic.  I really feel VERY sorry for those that do not, have not..or will not, enjoy this franchise along with their MS-based ones...really sorry, do I feel for them...they are missing out, HUGE!

Having a blast with the beta...now that it works on my system. Man, was I bummed out at first...for whatever reason the first install didn't wanna play nice...

Ses

Mitch, bare in mind it's beta 1 (2), I'm sure it will imrpove. Ben did mention there will be graphical issue/glitches, so hopefully it will improve. If you're installing this beta, then you should certainly take the time to report your findings. They improved/updated the code they used for OpenGL, so I'm sure there will be problems.

Both performance on Mac OS X, and loading times are a big improvement for me. 

Yes sir...I was bummed at first...but totally understood that we all have a million different systems and componets in play...and my combo, might have been off kilter for it.  Just a second re-load over a clean .36 did it, Tony. I have perhaps only a 2-3 loss of FPS with DSF Extended on, (mean aveage) and that hardly matters now.  I can still play in the 25-30 FPS sandbox with .40b1.  The smile on the kisser..is huge...  This is a very notable update...very...wow.  I can't wait for a final (non-beta) release of v.40!!! I now know that I can at least run through the beta's...with acceptable performance, from b1 and onwards. (Whew!)

Cheers!

Mitch

GOT IT!  GOT IT! 

Yes..you can have a bad download-install.

I watched the load-in process..and at the very first, I saw:

Loading Scenery Plug in, then now loading application, and then, reading new scenery files, blah blah

On my first installation of .40b1, I never saw the very first 'loading Scenery Plug In'. It went right to reading new scenery files.

That was the low FPS installation. So....on my second install, .40b1 is properly reading and executing all the files to load in, in the proper sequence. There is a difference, between my first and second installation attempt.   Back to the flight...oh, my load times from the very first appearance of 'loading Scenery plug in...to the airport is now around a minute or less...and this is with a fully loaded and burdened XP installation....!   

Mitch, I'm glad you got it working!  I had a feeling it might work out if you gave it another try. Somehow computers are funny that way. Doesn't always make sense, but sometimes trying it again works.  

Anyhow, I'm also having a blast with 10.40.  Last night I couldn't put it down and ending up flying until the the sun came up. Now I am dead tired. Must get sleep.

1_zpss6ujzrax.jpg

5_zpsiicnjm5x.jpg

16_zpsi4mkkoia.jpg

Great shots, Comanche!

Yessir...I think the first download, did not install properly....perhaps files were missing, or corrupted!

Here is a shot of a flight I am in, right now...over the Rockies... the view out to the horizon,...probably as real to life as you can get now, in a sim!

WOW

Eclipse_1.png

Eclipse_2.png

View at FL270:

Eclipse_3.png

Eclipse_4.png

Is there anyway for steam users to get the beta

I don't thinks so, it is only when it reaches RC (Release candidate) status.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

smooth so far

Manuel Merelles

They fixed the water bouncing from .36!!!

OMG!  This is grrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

You now sit in the water properly, and the wave action...with the rocking of the plane...is fantastic!  I love marine activities...and especially float planes as a lot of my MS shots display. The one thing that has never been really good in MS based sim..is the way the pontoons, and aircraft body reacts to, from smooth, to wavy, windy conditions...well...if anybody else has an amphib...get your butts out upon .40b1's water....

I'm just around PAJN...and minutes ago, landed upon the water...and wow....the plane is now rocking, with fabulous water/wave action upon the pontoons...no more aircraft jumping up and down, as the waves interact with the aircraft. Nope...now your pontoons float in the swells...with water overlapping them, if a wave cuts higher...THANK YOU....this was a bad bug in the .3x series...

XP.40b1 has the best aircraft-water-animation-interaction rendering of any flight sim, I own now. What a pleasure, and oh...I have to report...because the wave action is correct...I crashed three times upon landing, as my pontoons dug in...and I flipped end over end...bad news...but now...I have the landings down pat.  You better come in just below 60 knots..and pontoon tips..HIGH!  Unless you want to become a submarine simulation...... :)  What a blast....!

Carenado_C185F_Float_v10_3.png

Carenado_C185F_Float_v10_5.png

Carenado_C185F_Float_v10_7.png

Carenado_C185F_Float_v10_11.png

Carenado_C185F_Float_v10_8.png

Carenado_C185F_Float_v10_9.png

Carenado_C185F_Float_v10_10.png

Carenado_C185F_Float_v10_12.png

Carenado_C185F_Float_v10_14.png