Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

Latest Generation Intel CPU vs 4770K Haswell

DX12 will certainly free up the CPU -- with early demos of other games showing about 50% less CPU resources -- that's significant.  I'd dare suggest it'll bring over mid to lower end GPUs and CPUs that could show VERY good performance in P3D with high graphics settings.

Hopefully we will finally see a stable 60fps...

Then, Dovetail has abandoned its flight simulation projects due to budget constraints and lack of flight knowledge so P3D will have open field to have the monopoly on the flight simulation market, this will obviously lead to huge delays in terms of releasing upgrades, probably DX12 compatibility will be done within 2 years from now and we will have not a single FPS added, I think this scenario deserves attention and that's not an exciting one for sure.

Don't really understand this comment at all??  I'm not aware that Dovetail "abandoned" their flight simulation products, if you look at their FB page it would see they are actively hiring programmers and resources to develop "aviation" based products ... unless you have some other information??  P3D will not be a "monopoly" any time soon, I can assure you, XP10, DCS, FSX, and many more will always retain some market share.

I can understand the debate/idea that if there was only "one" Flight Simulator "for all" then we'd have more 3rd party add-on content  available and a unification of development resources ... I can understand that "might" be good for end users in this relatively small market of flight simulation.  But in the same token, like you pointed out, competition can also drive innovation and development.  I can appreciate the Pro's and Con's of both.

The harsh reality of DX12 is that it's Windows 10 ONLY ... that's a big "pause" for any development team/project.  Windows 10 needs to prove itself before we start to see smaller market development efforts ... my tech was simply to show that Microsoft are providing the DX11 to DX12 transition at the API level making it easier for developers to move from DX11 to DX12 "when" they are ready ... or more likely when the end user base is ready (i.e. most have migrated to Windows 10).

Cheers, Rob.

There's some interesting stuff in this topic regarding DX12.

I was curious however if anyone knows if the latest generation CPUs from Intel will yield any benefit from legacy chips with the same clock speed.

I currently have the i7 950 (oc'd) mentioned by the OP.   So does a next gen chip at the same clock speed increase performance (particularly with P3D) or will it be the same?  I know the newer chips from Intel are more efficient (ie., use less power) but thought that identical clock speeds and same number of Cores (HT on or off) would yield identical performance.

Can you imagine the deluge of inane questions that will happen when they DO announce OFFICIALLY that they have a 64bit version in the works?

Why will the questions be inane? They will be mostly, "Will it be faster?", "Will my addon work?", "What will 64 bit P3d cost?", "Will there be an upgrade path from Version 2?" and "Will the ATC Window be transparent?" Hey, I'll even answer them right now:

1. Maybe a little bit, but it will vary from system to system depending on your hardware.

2. It may or it may not.

3. The pricing for each license will be the same as version 2.

4. No.

5. We are working on that for Version 5.

The harsh reality of DX12 is that it's Windows 10 ONLY

And only for DX12 compatible GPUs, which is small number of those out on the landscape.

Why will the questions be inane? They will be mostly, "Will it be faster?", "Will my addon work?", "What will 64 bit P3d cost?", "Will there be an upgrade path from Version 2?" and "Will the ATC Window be transparent?" Hey, I'll even answer them right now:

You missed my point Jay - THOSE are the good questions - THOSE are to be expected. .

Maybe I've been around too long but sadly I expect that the inane ones will well outnumber the good ones in the beginning.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

There's some interesting stuff in this topic regarding DX12.

I was curious however if anyone knows if the latest generation CPUs from Intel will yield any benefit from legacy chips with the same clock speed.

I currently have the i7 950 (oc'd) mentioned by the OP.   So does a next gen chip at the same clock speed increase performance (particularly with P3D) or will it be the same?  I know the newer chips from Intel are more efficient (ie., use less power) but thought that identical clock speeds and same number of Cores (HT on or off) would yield identical performance.

Because every new generation from I7-950 (first generation) to Haswell (fourth generation) is about 10% more efficient in its calculations i gained about 30-40% in FSX and i would suspect this also has to be the case with P3D.

So if you jump over to a new CPU now you would change from for instance 20 fps to 28fps at the same clockspeed. Now since the I7-4770K on my system is running 4,6GHZ it overclocks better than my my older -950@4,2 . That gives me also a gain of 5-10% meening that overall the gain was from 20 to 30 fps.(in FSX back then)

Now in EKCH at gate A20 in the NGX up and running i struggle to be at 40-45fps while Rob´s video show 60-65 fps looking forward. Thats a MASSIVE improvement.

Could someone with a simular system as mine test EKCH A20 to see if it is the standard. Just set conservative settings like all Autogen sliders on Normal and TML=1024 (AI traffic 20% no GA 0%)

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Well, analysing from a satellite point of view the flight simulation situation implies some positive and also some negative comments, just like in the real life when you like a person you are gentle with her/him but if it was necessary you also make some critics or even sometime it may happen to have a fight.

Here, listening to P3D forumers, it seems to live in heaven, everything has been great, everything is marvelous and exciting now and everything will be even better in the short and long term future !! What a wonderful world !!

Guys, I leave you in your heaven world, good luck, sincerely  :smile:

I come back to perform some flights on my pc hoping that one day or another someone will awake from the dream and it will start to produce some modern simulation to fiddle with, instead of keeping on performing non sense tries to reanimate the ultra buried and extremely ancient, rusty and dusty FSX, aka P3D

Here below a picture of LM working on P3D DX12, please do not get offended and use some irony instead  :smile:

P3_D.jpg

Thanks  but if you put those CPU hocks sliders (traffic ? shadows? )calculations slider up and back the GPU sliders a bit it might be easier to determe.

I have 2 GTX970 Superclocked in SLI (which does not work well as allready mentioned elsewhere) and dont think all that extra power only comes from those TITANS. At least i hope not. 

There was once a "general" rule that making a new step up on the CPU generation would give you about 10% increase in FPS. 

But thats from the older FSX days i know.

Michael Moe

In my experience:

-The stuff that used to be very CPU dependent in FSX - AI traffic, complex aircraft/VC, complex ground scenery, are still just as CPU-bound in P3D. In those situations, upgrading from a GTX 670 to a 970 made no difference at all, so getting an even faster GPU wouldn't help either. A faster CPU would help, though.

-The new rendering features in P3D v2.x - "Ultra" water, shadowing, tessellation etc., were improved significantly when moving from a GTX 670 to a 970. I can now enable many of those features. An even faster GPU would allow me to crank those up even higher.

So if you configure P3D v2 to look like FSX, it behaves mostly like FSX - CPU bound. A faster GPU will only allow you to enable the new, GPU-bound features without a massive performance hit.

Re. DX12, I wouldn't hold my breath. DX10 and DX11 were already promised as the saviors that would free us from the shackles of legacy, CPU bound code. P3D contains a *lot* of legacy code in the scenery and VC composting engines that happens before DirectX or the GPU get involved at all. The sim actually *builds* the scene (cockpit, ground scenery etc.) from many data sources, like .xml files, .gauge files, .bgl files etc. containing pointers to objects, vector data, elevation data, object placement annotations etc. This stuff happens deep within the sim, long before DirectX gets involved and at this point, the data is nowhere near a format that the GPU can understand and render.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

DX12, I wouldn't hold my breath.

The performance bottle neck is draw call performance, and DX12 is about 6X more capable (compared to DX9).  Plenty of examples of that with various optimized sceneries/airports (FT Dubai for example) ... reduce draw calls = better performance.

Cheers, Rob.

Re. DX12, I wouldn't hold my breath. DX10 and DX11 were already promised as the saviors that would free us from the shackles of legacy, CPU bound code.

Every so often a tech company comes out with an "advance" that will "massively improve performance". Remember how GSync was going to eliminate stuttering? I won't even get into the fiasco that was Windows 8. Until a few major 3D apps are released that take advantage of DX12, all these claims are just puffy marketing talk.