Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Fltplan Go app for iPad - Way Cool!

+1 B)

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Go to Settings on your iPad and scroll down on the left side until you see "FltPlan Go" and make sure Location is set to Never.  That way the app will never display your current real world location.  Then start the FltPlan Go app.  It should start up with a notice saying that you have "Location Disabled".  Then select Settings on the left ribbon and make sure "Allow GPS in background" is off.  Then select Maps from the ribbon and then select "Map Options" and make sure "Enable FSX Sim GPS is checked.

Don't forget that you must also run FltPlanGo_FSX.exe to actually make the connection.

Thanks for the post above TP. I am set up exactly that way. I still do not appear to be connecting any longer.  This worked perfectly for me the other day, as you can see from the iPad screen captures in the OP of this topic. I have tried variable sequences of the instructions. First step is to load a "flight" in FSX. The other day what I loaded was a "flight plan"  (.pln) that I had saved from my RXP GNS430. I then Alt-Tab to my desktop, and ran FltPlanGo_FSX.exe and told it to connect. It told me it was connected.  Then I returned to FSX and took it off of pause. Then I loaded the FltPlan Go app on the iPad. It worked.  

Yesterday and today it no longer is working for me. I deleted and reinstalled the iPad app. I trashed and then completed a new DL of the .exe file. Still not working. Have settings for the App set to Never for Locaton, Apps Allow GPS is Off. Map Options in app has Enable FSX Sim GPS checked. Still get nothing. I have also tried with loading into FSX a "flight" .flt, as contrasted to the .pln file, and still nada.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Same here Frank. It works for a flight and then it stops working for the next. I've tried everything but no luck. I'm going to re install it and give it another try.

Helo guys,

I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest. But when I search for the app, I can't find it.
Where can I download/buy this app?

kind regards

Luc Brusselmans

Same here Frank. It works for a flight and then it stops working for the next. I've tried everything but no luck. I'm going to re install it and give it another try.

Samaritano, what I do not understand is how the .exe on the PC, after connecting to FSX, makes a connection to the iPad app.  On the App we are logged in via User ID and PW. But we are not logged in any way that I can see with the .exe file or with FSX.  I have made sure I also have my browser on my FSX computer open and logged in to FltPlan.com, but that is not in the directions and also does not seem to make a difference.  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Samaritano, what I do not understand is how the .exe on the PC, after connecting to FSX, makes a connection to the iPad app.  

Okay! I asked myself the correct question, and as a result determined my problem. My FSX PC is Ethernet connected to my home network wireless router. In my home I also have a wireless extender/booster at the mid point in my home to provide wireless to the far end of my home. That wireless extender is treated as a separate network by my iPad.  Computer connection (example) = "mynetwork". The extender (example) = "mynetwork_ext".  My iPad was connected to the extender.  I selected the same connection on the iPad as my PC, and now the App works again.

The answer to my question above then is that the connection between FSX  + FltplanGo_FSX.exe to the iPad is a local network connection. So I assume if you have an iPad with a simm card and cellular connection you would also need to make sure you connect to the network on which you have your FSX computer.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Here are another couple of clarifications. Now that I am connecting again to the iPad app I am able to report these indicators:

It does not appear to matter whether in FSX you load an .flt "flight" or a .pln (flight plan) in FSX, or even load anything. I just found that The Fltplan Go app only seems to recognize your location, and then movement. So if you have loaded a navpoint based flight plan into FSX the app does not see any waypoints. The app merely shows your current position as an airplane icon, and the icon will move as you aircraft moves.  The app will not draw a line of your flight's progress unless you go into the Apps Map Options and toggle Breadcrumbs on.  

If you have a flight plan loaded in FSX and want the app to also show the path of your flight plan, then you must also enter that flight plan at Fltplan.com and then use the app to download the plan into the app. Then you can display both paths on the apps map. Your plan, and your progress. You may wish to select different colors for the two lines.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

have been reading this thread with a lot of interest. But when I search for the app, I can't find it.
Where can I download/buy this app?

I no longer have an Android device, so cannot be of help if that is what you have.  For iPad I found it easily in the App Store. Just search for FltPlan Go. You should find it. You may also see listings for FltPlan (previous version), and FltPlan Go for iPhone. Just install the one named FltPlan Go.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Apparently it is only available for iOS and Android.

There are FltPlan Go apps for both IOS and Android but I believe at this point the connect to FSX feature is available only in the iPad version.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

There are FltPlan Go apps for both IOS and Android but I believe at this point the connect to FSX feature is available only in the iPad version.

I have a Motorola Xoom (Android) and an iPad2.  The FSX tracking option is available on the Android version but I couldn't get it to work.  In fact the plane symbol would only show momentarily but the symbol or the map never moved.  I gave up on the Android version as the iOS version has worked every time for me.

Todd

Update:  I also just tried running the app on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3.  The Android version will not connect to FSX (although the option to do so is there) and is quite buggy in general.

Based on my experience yesterday and today, here is what it appears needs to be done to get this IOS app and FSX connected. My difficulty connecting yesterday and early today seems to have all been due to not having both the computer and IOS iPad connected to the same network.

The first section below should only be a one-time set up sequence  that in the future could also be used for troubleshooting.  The second portion below, the portion that follows the ******'s, is what should be done for each pre-flight preparation. I was able to repeat successful connection several times today as I opened and closed FSX, the .exe file, and the app and restarted each.  If you open the iPad app before you run the FltplanGo_FSX.exe file you may need to close the app (fully close it) and restart it.

Important items to note:

* The FltPlan Go app requires IOS 7 or later.

* Your FSX computer and your iPad MUST be connected to the same network.

* I have no affiliation with FltPlan.com or the FltPlan Go app other than as an individual user.

Find and install the free FltPlan Go app from the App Store. Before you download it you can check the version number by scrolling down on the Details tab while still looking at the app in the App Store. The version current today, Jul 12, 2015 is version 4.0.3. This app requires IOS 7 or later.  

Go to this web address and download the very small FltPlanGo_FSX.exe file to your FSX computer.  http://www.fltplan.com/fsx.htm

Create a shortcut for it on your computer desktop, or in the folder in which you store shortcuts for FSX related programs. You might also want to set the shortcut for Start as Administrator under Properties, Advanced.

Under your iPad's Settings screen, scroll down into your apps to the FltPlan Go app and make certain that you have the Location preference set to "Never".

Open the FltPlan Go app on the iPad. Under the app's Settings make certain the Allow GPS in the Background setting is Off.

On the FltPlan Go app's Map page, go to Options and check the box to Enable FSX Sim GPS. 

If you only want an aircraft icon on the app's moving map then you are done configuring. If you want the app to draw a line of your flight path as you fly then go into Map Options and check the Toggle Breadcrumbs option. You can also go into Map Options, Customize Route and Icon and set your color preferences for the icon and route.

At this point in time you may wish to fully close the app. You will reopen it after the next instructions.

Ok. Now that you are installed and configured. Here is a set of preflight steps for use before you fly. They should be completed in this sequence:

IMPORTANT: Check to make certain that your FSX computer and your iPad are connected to the same network.

Start FSX and use one method or another to either go to Free Flight, or Load a Flight or Flight Plan. Just get into FSX where you are with your airplane. (i.e. NOT still on the Start Screen).

Get to your computer's desktop and run the FltplanGo_FSX.exe program. Select to "Connect to FSX".

Return into FSX on your computer.

Open the Fltplan Go app on your iPad and open the app's Map page. You should find the app's aircraft icon at the place you are at in FSX. 

Happy flying.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

The app is only available in us store ?? Cant get it...

I believe the offered services of the Fltplan.com site are for the U.S. and Canada, so it is not just the app.

Frank Patton
ASUS