Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

Aerofoillabs Cessna 172 SP!

Hi Tony,

it's still centred around the plane

I don't think so, the view angle of the free camera is totally independant from the plane's position.

Fixed view and free camera are two different things.

You're right that the detailed world is still centered on the plane, though.

Cheers,

Pascal

I like the changes they made to the flight model. I actually got into a spin yesterday and with the camera G force system they have, my virtual head felt pinned to the side window and I could not see straight ahead, making getting out of the spin a little more scary, but fun.

Rob 

Ive been an avvid fan of Xplane for a long time and ive got it running great with freeware and all sorts, Along with Skymaxx pro, ive just purchased the Airfoil labs C172, and oh my god, what an aircraft..For me this was the missing link that ive missed from A2A. Ive not seen any topics covering this addon on the forum, either that or ive missed them! :P Anyone else highly impressed with it?! Im enjoying endless hours flying around the UK in it!

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

They just released version 1.31 which fixes some payload issues and a few minor things. Re-download it from the store and replace it.

Whish there were some new liveries for it!

Rob

Aaaand I'm back to xplane again. Damn it newman. Brilliant plane. The walk mode really adds to the immersion, pushing the plane into the parking spot and tying it down.

4790k with 780gtx and the fps is very good on the HD model. Comparable to carenado b200.

I was VERY sceptical but very glad I eventually bought it.

Really want to like xplane and this plane will tie me over quite a while.

Hth for those on the fence.

Ps I really like how they developed it under the radar and then just announced the plane ready. Most devs only tease for years and years

-Roland

0) Could any of you with this Cessna peform the typical altitude vs leaning test ?

Bring the aircraft up to, say, 32,000' at 100 KIAS and please tell me if the engine quits, even if you lean it as far as possible, or if it continues to "pump".

Now, test again by a continuous climb up to where you can manage to still climb. Start at, say, 12,500'.

Thx for any reports.

And, if you can also please test this:

1) How's that torque on roll ? What about on yaw ?   Can rudder ** only ** be used on takeoff / initial climb to keep coordinated and wings level ?

2) Do you notice the ball still drifts to the right on left turns at high power, or at least that there is a difference in the ball displacement and required rudder for coordination between turning through the left and through the right ?

Thx guys!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

That's exactly why I asked, because the default one goes... and it's engine, if leaned a bit, keeps alive :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

0) Could any of you with this Cessna peform the typical altitude vs leaning test ?

Bring the aircraft up to, say, 32,000' at 100 KIAS and please tell me if the engine quits, even if you lean it as far as possible, or if it continues to "pump".

Now, test again by a continuous climb up to where you can manage to still climb. Start at, say, 12,500'.

Thx for any reports.

And, if you can also please test this:

1) How's that torque on roll ? What about on yaw ?   Can rudder ** only ** be used on takeoff / initial climb to keep coordinated and wings level ?

2) Do you notice the ball still drifts to the right on left turns at high power, or at least that there is a difference in the ball displacement and required rudder for coordination between turning through the left and through the right ?

Thx guys!

Quick test with mixture leaned:  I set the altitudude to 30K, the engine will not quit at 30k, but the plane will stall at level flight. At 20K the plane will climb at about 100 FPM and then slowly stall before reaching 21K.

There is a little torque to the left.

On a right turn the ball slips to the right requiring some right rudder but when you step on the right rudder the ball kind of skids to the opposite side. No rudder really required on climb, but if you keeping pitchining up the ball will slip to the right. Stepping on the rudder seems to make averything more uncordinated.

I am not sure if the developer can fix the above issues,I think these are all XPX limitations that laminar needs to fix ! The plane is preetty solid with more updates to come ! it's not perfect but it feels like the most realistic 172 I have ever flown in a simulator ! I have been having a blast flying in it !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Good thread. I never get a chance to sim these days, work is always calling.. but I did try some basic fly-by-the-numbers. One of the first things one learns when taking an instrument rating course is to be able to use power and trim to get results. I did my IR in this very aircraft, one of a fleet of about 20 at my flight club, and all were almost exactly the same. 2200RPM would yield 90 KIAS when in level flight and trimmed correctly (I always established this before the OM). At glide-slope or LPV intercept, throttle back to 1800RPM and the nose would fall beautifully, maintaining 90KIAS and now at a descent rate of about 500fpm, perfect for managing on a 3 degree glide-path.

I tried this briefly on this XP product, and got different results- as I recall it I was faster then 90KIAS with 2200RPM. Note the RPM is the same regardless of mixture (may just require more throttle if not adjusted correctly), and KIAS is immune to altitude, as far as the aircraft performance is concerned- so these environmental variances don't matter in any comparison to the real thing for this specific matter.

Pitch stability/fidelity is hard to find on any PC sim, for reasons that I cannot understand. In the real think (my experience), pitch stability far surpasses roll stability, in many PC sims it's the opposite... one day I will figure this out :)

Other than these comments (which are fairly trivial), this is a great simulation of this awesome bird....

Bruce.