Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Soft Clouds update

Installed the Soft Clouds update that was released a couple of days ago. Acars for my Delta VA records the average FPS for all my flights. After installing the update, and changing nothing else, I got a FPS increase of about 20%, and the clouds look great.    :smile:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Same here! But not sure if it was REX SC or the new Nvidia driver.

Installed the Soft Clouds update that was released a couple of days ago. Acars for my Delta VA records the average FPS for all my flights. After installing the update, and changing nothing else, I got a FPS increase of about 20%, and the clouds look great.    :smile:

Is this the Update from January? or have REX released a further update?

Hello;

They have released an update to REX4 TD SP5 and REX SC SP2, maybe 3 or four days ago.

All these updates do not help avoiding popcorn clouds which are inherent from core P3D2.5 

Is there two updates, one for soft clouds and one for Rex 4? I opened Rex 4 and got an update but want to make sure I got both. 

Good question. Im not sure. But maybe you can try updating REX4 and see if your Souft Clouds version changes. The new version of Soft Clouds is 4.2.2015.0810.

If you update Rex 4 with the soft clouds update, you get to the same version number - so if you have Rex 4 with Soft Clouds you only need the one update.

Is there two updates, one for soft clouds and one for Rex 4? I opened Rex 4 and got an update but want to make sure I got both. 

When you open soft cloud an click on Check for update the update should come up automatically. Both are two different version of rex

I have the Rex 4 version with soft clouds so cannot just click on soft clouds.

I cannot seem to locate the Rex forums anymore, is there a new link?

Strange it seem that REX forums are down at the moment. I click on the link but firefox gives server not found error.

go to rexsimulations.com and click on the support tab

I think that have changed things around. All working fine here.

I did find an update when clicking the check for update button within the Soft Clouds interface and when starting the application it reports the latest version but the shortcut still says Soft Clouds SP1...was it supposed to be SP2 after the update?

As for the Nvidia driver I guess you're talking about version 355.98?

Very nice to hear about the 20% increased performance, looking forward to try this out myself! Don't think though the Soft Clouds update could increase your FPS by 20% so must be the new Nvidia driver I guess.

20% increase in fps ?

They look better but for the rest still a bitmap with the same size and same alpha channel and the same amount of clouds on each bitmap...

There are TWO updates, one for REX4 Textures (latest version is 4.5.2015.08.18) and one for REX Softclouds (latest version 4.2.2015.08.10). I downloaded and installed them today via the built in update function.

Jack

The Swede in Spain

I've now updated both Soft Clouds and the Nvidia driver and I see zero FPS improvement.

Not a big deal though since I already have about 50 FPS in the NGX with my new Skylake rig :)

You don't need two updates if you have Rex 4 Direct and Soft Clouds integrated, You only need this one

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36228-rex-4-texture-direct-with-soft-clouds-service-pack-5/

which takes it to 4.7.2015.0818.

FIX LIST

The following is a list of changes and fixes within Service Pack 5  (build: 4.7.2015.0818)

FIXED - Soft Clouds to make more volumetric.

FIXED - Ability to install a weather generated theme without the "save" requirement.
FIXED - Upper-atmospheric color blending.
FIXED - Community Theme drop down filter was not showing all lists appropriately.
FIXED - Suneffect.cfg file location updated to proper location during texture injection.
FIXED - Texture options window not saving options when closing REX and restarting.
FIXED - Within the Theme window, the Lightning screen was showing the title of the wrong element.
ADDED - Auto search for main folder location of feature for users of Microsoft Flight Simulator X Steam Edition.

FROM: REX 4 - TEXTURE DIRECT WITH SOFT CLOUDS BUILD 4.4.2015.0115
TO:  REX 4 - TEXTURE DIRECT WITH SOFT CLOUDS  BUILD 4.7.2015.0818

I've now updated both Soft Clouds and the Nvidia driver and I see zero FPS improvement.

Not a big deal though since I already have about 50 FPS in the NGX with my new Skylake rig :)

You followed the installation instructions properly? Reset the preferences within REX4? Set the water appropriately? Rebuilt the shader file?

Used the 366.04 beta drivers, NOT WHQL 355.98?

You followed the installation instructions properly? Reset the preferences within REX4? Set the water appropriately? Rebuilt the shader file?

Used the 366.04 beta drivers, NOT WHQL 355.98?

Weren't any installation instructions to follow, I'm not using REX4 but only the Soft Clouds package? I use ASN for weather.

Nope, I'm not using any beta Nvidia drivers so in my case the driver I just installed is the WHQL 355.98 one.

Will try to clear the shader cache though, always a good thing to do I believe when you have upgraded the video driver.

Weren't any installation instructions to follow, I'm not using REX4 but only the Soft Clouds package

I just opened up 'Soft Clouds', clicked on 'check for updates' and clicked the 'save' button., and run the setup file.

bob

I just opened up 'Soft Clouds', clicked on 'check for updates' and clicked the 'save' button., and run the setup file.

bob

That's exactly what I did too.

Speaking about soft clouds, what set are you guys using out of the 16 different styles you can choose from?

I think most of them look very nice in the preview picture but it's really hard to compare since all preview pictures are different. Would have been much easier to compare if the background picture would have been the same for all different types.