Sign in to follow this  
shivers9

Prepar3D- Does anyone like V 3.0? Positive remarks?

I am someone who was roundly critical of the first few iterations of V2, so I thought I would give my intitial impressions of v3.

First, and this is not intended as an insult, this is much closer to what I thought v2 would be like. I had no problems with startup, the throttle wasn't roaring at full, and they give you a much nicer way to begin via a screen where you can select preferences before the sim drops you into a scenario. I know you could make that change in v2, but that isn't how you encountered the sim the first time it loaded.

All of my Saitek panels and controllers seem to work correctly without having to make any adjustments to the .exe or .cfg files. I haven't tried to use my GoFlight controllers yet.

With my rig the basic program and aircraft offer essentially unlimited performance. I turned everything up to either ultimate or in the case of shadow distances 3/4 full and my frame rates never dropped below 60. For comparison that is about 20% better than the "equivalent" settings in FSX:SE (and yes I know that they aren't actually equivalent :smile:)​. I did not have 2.5 installed on this machine so that is the best comparison I can make about fps. I get no stutters. Since I haven't ported over any add-ons I can't comment about their impact on fps or VAS.

On the whole the package feels much more "finished" than v2 did. If v2 had shipped in this condition it would have saved a lot of bad feelings.

Is it worth it? That is up to everyone to decide for themselves. I can't find anything to criticize at this point, so I am happy with the purchase. I will start loading in the add-ons and see how that goes.

Bill

- Bill Magann

Plenty of positive feedback if you're really interested in it? 

Some negative feedback on initial release is pretty common as you have users that:

1.  Attempt to platform steer to their preferred FS platform and see V3 as a market share threat

2.  You have users angry with pricing so can't/won't see any positives in V3

Once the dust settles, business as usual will resume, but I always encourage people to try a product and make your own decision.  $60 with a 30 day (or is it 60 day) refund policy ... so there really is no risk.

Cheers, Rob.

I absolutely love it like i have posted in another thread. Initially purchased a one-month developer licence for testing and will definitely buy a complete version once this expires.

Much smoother than 2.5, way better VAS management up to 800MB more in the same scenarios (and doesn't increase much more after that), the moving trees are stunning and i can't wait for them to be used in more scenery, better fog effects... The list goes on but these are the most important i've witnessed so far.

It's a whole new "FSX".

PS: You owe it to yourself to watch a thunderstorm at night :) :) :)

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I find it humorous that the majority of the "incensed" initial negative posts were by users who just read the release notes. Now that some have bit the bullet and purchased P3D3 they have changed their tune.

Now, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

As Rob pointed out - for those on the fence - there is the 60 day refund policy - you have nothing to lose but some disk space.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

$60 with a 30 day (or is it 60 day) refund policy ... so there really is no risk.

It's 60 days. And $... ah, never mind. :wink:

EDIT

Oops, Vic already said it was 60 days.

Performance wise from what i have seen okay, VAS okay (considering i have only installed airports in). Dislike - constant error log upon exiting ( concerning pmdg aircrafts - Mr Randazzo has been notified); dislike - a lot of critical errors and crashes upon exiting api.dll error, kernelbase.dll error, StackHash_149d error. Haven't seen these errors in a long time. 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

I'm positive I'll wait until at least Christmas to buy v3.

Well my resolve lasted all of 20 hours. Thanks to all the positive reviews in this and other threads, I purchased v3. Merry Christmas.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Performance wise from what i have seen okay, VAS okay (considering i have only installed airports in). Dislike - constant error log upon exiting ( concerning pmdg aircrafts - Mr Randazzo has been notified); dislike - a lot of critical errors and crashes upon exiting api.dll error, kernelbase.dll error, StackHash_149d error. Haven't seen these errors in a long time.

The content error logging can be turned off in the settings - iirc it's under general.

As to the other errors on exit - I've read that some were caused initially by FSUIPC and ASN for some folks.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Could be the FSUIPC, Couatl and ASN. 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Hi 

AMD carts dont work at all with newest Driver 15.+. Quite a showstopper IMHO. The only solution so far seems to be rolling back to 14.0 wich I wont do, cause 2.5 runs extremely well with my current setting. I cant imagine how something like this could slip through the beta-phase. Its not just that a view papi-lights are missing. The whole sim crashes after a view seconds...

As a loyal customer Im a bit dissapointed with LMs "solution" roll back or wait till AMD updates there drivers...

Marcel

I bit the bullet tonight and purchased v3. I also uninstalled v2, so I will be starting from scratch when I return from the Cosford 2015 Flightsim Show. A couple of OOMs at the end of two short test flights around London in v2.4 this evening convinced me that upgrading was the only sensible option. I look forward to seeing the difference when I have all of my addons installed.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Rob, thank you for mentioning that you have had no problems with the Saitek Yoke with P3D3 and Windows 10.

I, unfortunately have had nothing but trouble with the Saitek Cessna Yoke since I "upgraded" to Win 10 from Win 7 (64-bit), with both P3D2.5 and P3D3.0. When I connect the yoke, the simulators work normally; as long as I keep the yoke connected, everything is fine. However, when I disconnect the yoke both wired and wireless mice go nuts when I try to click on something. Using the keyboard to restart or shut down the computer, Windows 10 cannot complete the task - I have to force a hardware power-down. If I shut down the computer before disconnecting the yoke, and then disconnect, the first reboot fails; the second reboot works.

Other people have reported the same problems. Mad Catz has not yet provided a Windows 10 driver. I am wondering what is special about your setup.

Frans

Hi 

AMD carts dont work at all with newest Driver 15.+. Quite a showstopper IMHO. The only solution so far seems to be rolling back to 14.0 wich I wont do, cause 2.5 runs extremely well with my current setting. I cant imagine how something like this could slip through the beta-phase. Its not just that a view papi-lights are missing. The whole sim crashes after a view seconds...

As a loyal customer Im a bit dissapointed with LMs "solution" roll back or wait till AMD updates there drivers...

Marcel

Marcel -- what graphics card do you have? In P3d 2.5, my 270X did not run well at all with the 15.x driver and I dropped back to 14.12. I have not upgraded to 3.0 yet.

Thx

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.