Sign in to follow this  
tutmeister

4k users

Is there anyone out there running at 4k? I'd like some idea of what to expect because I seem to be struggling.

I can get very good frames with lots of add ons and all detail maxed in prepar3d but I seem to get very low frames in xplane. I seem to have to turn things down far too much until it looks really poor compared to prepar3d to get acceptable frame rates.

I know my sli is useless in xplane but even so....

I5 @ 4.7ghz, 2 970gtx sli, 16G ram and everything running from a Samsung ssd.

At 1080p I can fly with most things turned up and w2xp uk looking good. At 4k I'm around 2fps though. What are you guys getting?

If someone could give me an idea of settings they are using for 4k then I can try mine and then fiddle around from there.

Chris

You certainly should be getting better fps than that. I know the 5K iMacs run XP pretty well and your set up is has as much if not more power than them. One thing to note is XP does not support SLI so its possible there is some sort of conflict there. Another thing that can bring XP to its knees is busting the RAM/VRAM limits. If you are using something like OSM scenery this is easily done.

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

If someone could give me an idea of settings they are using for 4k then I can try mine and then fiddle around from there.

Chris

I have/had the same issue at 4K, so far the only solution has been to turn OFF HDR in XP10 and reduce your cloud distance.

I keep hoping LR move to DX12 rather than continue with using OpenGL especially since their user base is 65% Windows.

Cheers, Rob.

I have/had the same issue at 4K, so far the only solution has been to turn OFF HDR in XP10 and reduce your cloud distance.

I keep hoping LR move to DX12 rather than continue with using OpenGL especially since their user base is 65% Windows.

Cheers, Rob.

I tkink they are looking at Vulkan 

• Upvote 1

I have a 4k tv..no luck with xplane unless i reduce the resolution to 1080p..i got a 980ti for it but the TV still works on 30hz..so its all packed up to be returned back

I run it on 4k with a Geforce 980 4Gig and have absolutely no problems, even with clouds and HDR. Except for not being able to turn my eyes away from the crispy sharp picture, that is :wub: .

Jan

Depends what you mean by no problems. Would you mind sharing your settings please?

I'd love to know what it takes to get a good level of scenery at 4k with good fps

Chris

A 4K monitor has a resolution of 3840 × 2160 which is 8,294,400 pixels which equates to 4 times the resolution of a 1920 x 1080 monitor.  The numbers speak for themselves.

This information comes from another poster (gpb500) when I was "upsizing" from a 24" monitor to a 32" 1080 Vizio TV.  I was moving from 1920 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080, so the GTX 770 4 GB saw no difference, but the 4K is demanding a lot from your card.  It is bound to have an effect on your FRs unless you really "dumb down" some of your settings.

Personally, I think I about hit on the right size/resolution/demand for my personal needs.

John

John Wingold

This is unlikely to happen, as has been previously mentioned by LR in the past. In fact, I believe the developers actually use Macs to develop XP. As is unfortunately often the case, OpenGL drivers and features are often behind their Windows counterparts, but keeping it this way has helped X-Plane run on a wide variety of platforms, including cutdown versions for iPhone and Android.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Rob.

So you would sacrifice 35% of your userbase?  That will never happen and goes against everything LR stands for.  Also Austin is probably the most hardcore mac user in that company :D

There have also been various discussions regarding the nextgen opengl for XP11. Sofar i think vulcan has the lead as far as i could read

So is the conclusion that x-plane in 4K with high settings is just not possible?

I was hoping it wasn't the case although it certainly seems that way if Rob can't manage it with his system!

What do 4K users run their settings on? The irony is prepar3d needs 64bit to avoid oom with the settings turned up high but xplane has 64bit but cannot run in 4K with the settings turned up high.

Chris

I run it on 4k with a Geforce 980 4Gig and have absolutely no problems, even with clouds and HDR. 

Jan

Hi Jan,

Could you share those settings?  I've exhausted my ability to get HDR working at moderate AA levels with my requirement to maintain a modest 30 FPS at 4K res.  Perhaps XP10 works better with AMD GPUs ... if LR is pushing Vulkan which is essentially AMD's Mantle, then sounds like I may need to build an AMD GPU based system.

So you would sacrifice 35% of your userbase?  

Depends, yes if it gains more new users ... Mac users can run Windows, Windows users can't run OSX (well they can with some hacking, but not many willing to go that route).

But honestly, whatever gets more performance out of XP10 at 4K, I'm all for ... be it Mantle/Vulkan or Windows/DX12.  As it stands right now I have to compromise A LOT to get 30 FPS out of XP10 at 4K.

I'll install the new SkyMaxx 3 this weekend to see if I can get some cloud distance back (yes even with HDR OFF).

Cheers, Rob.

Is there anyone out there running at 4k? I'd like some idea of what to expect because I seem to be struggling.

I can get very good frames with lots of add ons and all detail maxed in prepar3d but I seem to get very low frames in xplane. I seem to have to turn things down far too much until it looks really poor compared to prepar3d to get acceptable frame rates.

At 1080p I can fly with most things turned up and w2xp uk looking good. At 4k I'm around 2fps though. What are you guys getting?

Chris

Chris just set up your 970 in NVCP to run at x4 DSR (assuming you have a 1080p monitor) and that will simulate almost exactly how it will handle real 4K.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

That's about as likely as Lockheed Martin converting P3d to 64 bit. Having fun with XP10? I reinstalled it  after LM released V3 and it was still 32 bit.

I've been debating as to whether to buy FSGRW and SkyMAXX Pro 3.0. BTW, does SLI actually work with XP10?

Chris

Capture3_1.png

I am using a 42" 4K monitor. What kind of frame rate do you get with the above settings at Van Nuys Airport with 100 miles visibility, no clouds, stock XP, Cessna 172 ? My frames are in the high twenties. High forties out of the city. 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar