Sign in to follow this  
Rimshot

Large drop in performance

Rimshot, that´s a Clue, it´s not normal to have a 100% usage core all the time. Maybe you are facing a bug.

Try to look when the FPS are normal, to see if this behavior is still there. 

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

I have just noticed a similar reduction in performance in P3D v3.1. Panning the view from left to right definitely exhibits a slight "jerky" effect that was not there in P3D v3.0 :blink:

Yes I have this too... Not sure what is going on with this..

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Yes I have this too... Not sure what is going on with this..

Edited to add: I selected the VSync and the triple buffering within my P3D V3.1 and it seems to have improved the jerky effect so much and no FPS drop

Hmm.... 

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I am using P3dv3.0 when taking off from KLAX to KSFO climbing towards RZS. If I look/pan to my left, FPS drops. This is looking at the ocean.

This could be coincidence as it doesn't happen all the time and maybe other processes may have been running in the background affecting performance. So, it's not just v3.1 that is affected.

Francisco Blas
Windows11 Pro ASUS Hero Z790 | Intel i9-13900K | G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 | ASUS STRIX 4090 | WD 4TB SN850X NVMe | ASUS Ryujin II AIO 360mm | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li 011D EVO | DELL Alienware 38 G-SYNC

Using Razor Cortex to help simplify the task of reducing processes before gaming. Looks like relying on the default game boost isn't enough, now obvious. There were quite a few processes I clearly didn't need. One in particular was interesting, some skype.exe that was in the startup. I can even recall a strange unwanted skype notification a couple weeks back of someone wanting to chat. I brushed it off at the time. Then the real kicker was after shutting down P3d and Razor Cortex begines to restore processes, I get a warning that a suspect skype.exe is trying to start and I selected to disable. Wouldn't doubt that was my offender. However, looks like I may want to do a system restore from one of my many images to remove a possible Trojan. Or wait a little longer for 3.1 to season before I do. 

To think that I could gain more than 28 fps just by being reminded to recheck my processes, rather than just continuing to assume it was p3d and it's addons. Thank you forum.  :smile:

Simstarter is another program that gives me more time to game, less tinkering. A little time to learn and setup but what a great program.

Cheers

One in particular was interesting, some skype.exe that was in the startup. I can even recall a strange unwanted skype notification a couple weeks back of someone wanting to chat. I brushed it off at the time. Then the real kicker was after shutting down P3d and Razor Cortex begines to restore processes, I get a warning that a suspect skype.exe is trying to start and I selected to disable. Wouldn't doubt that was my offender. However, looks like I may want to do a system restore from one of my many images to remove a possible Trojan. 

skype is a chat client, it has a ~200meg ram footprint but generally little or no cpu usage, i use it all the time with all my games including fsx and have no ill effects. in fact it is required at my office as we do most of our internal communication using it and thus i keep it running at home as well in case something is amiss with our servers or whatever that i need to hear about.

its certainly not a trojan, but it is somewhat strange that you would have it installed without knowing about it though. perhaps some systems may come with it pre-installed as it is a fairly popular app with something like 280 million users.

cheers

-andy crsoby

Rimshot, that´s a Clue, it´s not normal to have a 100% usage core all the time. Maybe you are facing a bug.

Try to look when the FPS are normal, to see if this behavior is still there. 

Here you go, values do not look much different:

CPUtemp3061fb7.jpg

GPUtemp30.jpg

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Switching FTX Central v2 to Default mode has not made any difference to performance. However, a quick test flight from EGFA Aberporth (on the west coast of Wales) seemed to suggest that it might have something to do with the water. I noticed when I was panning the view from left to right in the VC that it was noticeably smoother when I was looking at land textures to my right, and slightly "jerky" when I looked to my left.....over the water. I am going to check out the framerate when looking in different directions, and see if this reveals anything.

EDIT1: That was a very quick, but extremely revealing test....

I started on the grass runway 04 at EGFA Aberporth in my A2A Simulations Piper Cherokee 180. My plane was pointing in the direction of the sea, but this was not visible due to the 300 feet elevation of the airfield. I had switched on FRAPS (because it is easier to see framerate changes in flight with this), and the framerate when standing still at idle was 70fps. When the sea textures became visible as I lifted off the ground, the framerate dropped steadily, and dramatically. It quickly fell to around 30fps, and this was with a roughly 50/50 split between water and land when viewed straight ahead. Here comes the interesting bit.....

When I panned the view to the left (100% view of the sea), the framerate dropped to only 18fps.

When I panned the view to the right (100% view of the land; photoscenery plus ES Treescapes), the framerate shot up to 66fps.

I tried this several times, and the result was exactly the same. Now, this was with REX Essential Plus textures active, so I will now restore the default textures, and try again.

Well, in my case it seems to have been caused by the REX water textures. The same test conducted with default textures produced the following results.....

50/50 split between water and sea when viewed straight ahead - 54fps

When I panned the view to the left (100% view of the sea), the framerate dropped to 48fps.

When I panned the view to the right (100% view of the land; photoscenery plus ES Treescapes), the framerate increased to 65fps.

I am aware that the REX guys are working on an update for P3D v3.1, so hopefully this will solve the "water framerate" problem on my PC.

EDIT2: Well, in my case it seems to have been caused by the REX water textures. The same test conducted with default textures produced the following results.....

50/50 split between water and sea when viewed straight ahead - 54fps

When I panned the view to the left (100% view of the sea), the framerate dropped to 48fps.

When I panned the view to the right (100% view of the land; photoscenery plus ES Treescapes), the framerate increased to 65fps.

I am aware that the REX guys are working on an update for P3D v3.1, so hopefully this will solve the "water framerate" problem on my PC. Mind you, I am still puzzled why the framerate dropped when looking over water. I would have expected it to be higher.... :huh:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Mind you, I am still puzzled why the framerate dropped when looking over water. I would have expected it to be higher.... :huh:

What are your water settings and whats your GPU Chris? k

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I tested the water at HIGH, although I normally have it set to ULTRA. I have a 2GB GeForce GTX 770 GPU.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Maybe the GPU isnt quite up to those water settings plus whatever else you have set? Have you tested with all other GPU taxing settings at minimum to eliminate a hardware bottleneck? The textures are after all just textures... K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

When I panned the view to the left (100% view of the sea), the framerate dropped to only 18fps.

When I panned the view to the right (100% view of the land; photoscenery plus ES Treescapes), the framerate shot up to 66fps.

Very strange Christopher, but I don't see any relationship with the issue I'm having and for which I started this thread. I hope you get it fixed though! Does it also happen with water detail turned of?

The last two days I've been lucky. All my P3D sessions gave me good consistent frames. I haven't had a session in which the frames we're only one third of what I can expecy of my system, as described in all my posts here. I still don't know why...

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Maybe the GPU isnt quite up to those water settings plus whatever else you have set? Have you tested with all other GPU taxing settings at minimum to eliminate a hardware bottleneck?

The problem didn't exist until I upgraded the client software from 3.0 to 3.1, so it is unlikely to be associated with my GPU. It is more likely that REX Essential Plus needs to be tweaked, which is apparently what is being done.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Can a moderator please remove the repeated text in my post #83? I tried to reply to my own message, but the forum software ended up adding it to my existing post!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

For what its worth I have recently done a complete computer upgrade from a 2700K OC 4.8 with a Titan Black to a Skylake 6700K stock and Titan X.

Initially I was rather disappointed after spending the money and installing W10 again and all the P3D addons. I had lots of stutters and FPS were low.

But I had forgotten to set my monitor to 30hz (default is 60hz) in the NVIDIA Control Panel under change resolution.

I found best results setting:

VSync on

Triple Buffering on

Frame rate unlimited

This automatically limits my FPS to 30 and now with a 30hz monitor (4K TV) everything is smooth. I found running frame rates in unlimited worked best and I have mostly no blurries.

The 6700K and Titan X are keeping the FPS solid at 30 in airports optimized for P3D like KSFOHD KDEN KIAD and PMDG aircraft. Non optimized older airport designs frames will drop a little like FS Dreamteam KLAX. KJFK is great tho.

IM