Sign in to follow this  
morten7741

Blurry textures P3D V3

I think I have the same problem here: https://gyazo.com/02141239a8f46bf5fefa961610bdf082

When I reload the sim textures by going in the scenery library and moving some thing up and down I get it fixed but just for a small portion of the ground: https://gyazo.com/154ce1f8dcf5ade7e9f8379bfc25ca08

If anyone could help me it would be great

Intel Core i7-4770

Nvidia GTX 980

Samsung 840 Evo 250GB were P3D is installed

16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 DIMM 1600 MHz

Thanks.

Gustavo

Since you are using default texture, if you have not already, lower your texture resolution to 1024.  I don't have this issue at all.  There is a haze in the distance for me, but that is realistic.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Then definitely lower your texture resolution to 1024.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

If this troubleshooting session should make any sense and have a purpose, we need all details. That's all the display settings from p3d, incl hdr, shadows, sliders, ai traffic and the likes...

Also, you need to verify to us how your cores are being used during a sim-session. Explain what you are seeing when you examine your cpu readouts during a sim-session. As explained earlier you can use taskmanager to do so.

I have crisp textures at all times, because I balance my eye candy against my hardware. I can induce blurry textures in a heart beat should I wish to, just by upping select sliders in certain conditions. You need to know your sim and hardware and how they interact, if you want to stop wondering why you are experiencing this and that, and instead being able to diagnose and fix what you are seeing.

I'm sorry because I know this is not the answer you or most simmers are looking for. Unless you can settle with whatever settings a vanilla p3d.cfg gives you, you need to start prioritizing your eye candy, because nothing is for free. If you up this, you need to down that, and that's just the name of the game...

So.... Start giving us some screenshots and detailed information about your setup, or just go fly with a vanilla cfg.;)

KIND regards

Martin

The first step when someone shouts "I've got blurries!" is for that person to realize that the blurries is a feature, not a bug. The simulator only has enough time to load  lower resolution ground textures. FSX was designed to work that way, so that one could continue flying over a somewhat unrealistic terrain.  The cause is almost always the same. The settings in the sim's UI are too taxing for the computer's hardware.

It is human nature to turn every slider up to the max just to see what happens and then start dialing them back. However, when one encounters constant stuttering, blurred terrain and/or low frame rates, the approach is different. Turn all the sliders down to the miniums and then gradually bring each  one back up separately until the problem reoccurs. These sounds tedious, but at least one can determine that the problem disappears at minimum settings.

• Upvote 4

I have the same problem with P3D v3.1, someone can help me? So annoying those textures...

The first step when someone shouts "I've got blurries!" is for that person to realize that the blurries is a feature, not a bug. The simulator only has enough time to load  lower resolution ground textures. FSX was designed to work that way, so that one could continue flying over a somewhat unrealistic terrain.  The cause is almost always the same. The settings in the sim's UI are too taxing for the computer's hardware.

It is human nature to turn every slider up to the max just to see what happens and then start dialing them back. However, when one encounters constant stuttering, blurred terrain and/or low frame rates, the approach is different. Turn all the sliders down to the miniums and then gradually bring each  one back up separately until the problem reoccurs. These sounds tedious, but at least one can determine that the problem disappears at minimum settings.

Well stated Jay.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Anyone have "the blurries", please stay away from tweaks.  They don't work.  If they did, you can bet for sure, Lockheed Martin would be putting the tweak in the config as the default (and just because they provide some possible performance tweaks in the Learning Center does not mean they work).

If you have the blurries, change the default zoom setting to 40 or 30 in wing view/spot view (in the cockpit you cannot reduce the zoom).  It makes things a bit more realistic.  Next, if you have your fps slider set above 30 or unlimited, try reducing the limiter to 30.  You can do this "on the fly" and you will see an immediate improvement of your images.  Reducing the limiter to 30 will cause your textures to render faster.  It is amazing how much clear and crisp the textures become when you do this along with reducing the zoom.  You will also need to make sure your scenery settings are not set to the max.  When set to the max, your hardware must work harder to render.  Let your sim and your computer breathe a little.  I have seen improvements even from 30 fps to 20.

Many have used the Affinity Mask tweak to improve the blurries but, with all due respect to those who recommend this tweak, it does not work.  I have not seen any recommendation from NickN on the Affinity Mask tweak other than do not use it.  NickN is a Microsoft MVP and a former NVidia tech so I trust his recommendations.  If you have a wrong value in any tweak, it could cause even more problems.  Maybe back in the old days when video cards were not as powerful and we only had duo core systems, were tweaks effective. 

Playing with the sliders is the best tweak you can give P3D and even if the blurries go away in one situation, they may return in another situation depending on what you just loaded in your flight session.  But the really best suggestion is to reduce the fps slider to at least 30.  This minor tweak will make your sim dazzle.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well stated Jay.

An oldie but goodie. Unfortunately, some people want to believe that there's something wrong with the flight simulator. If the terrain wasn't painted purposely with low resolution textures, then it would just be a patchwork of normal textures and black rectangles.

Again, some very unhelpful information.  Some tweaks do work for some systems, and its proven. Quoting someone who hasn't made a full and proper P3D guide (NickN) isn't very relevant here. Either way, a simple google search will actually reveal that he HAS suggested some tweaks specifically for P3D in an older thread in another forum.

If you choose not to use any tweaks, its perfectly understandable, especially if you don't have issues with your config. But don't convince others they have no other solution other than putting up with their problems. Let them have the right to try it for themselves before coming to their own conclusions.

It is quite clear now there is a problem with the rendering in 3.2, even if you choose not to believe so. There are quite a few recent threads discussing this issue.

You are right, it is not a bug, but neither is it a "feature". It's simply a shortfall of the core engine. Because if it were a "feature" then we should see many other games/sims with blurry and low resolution textures shouldn't we?

I wonder why the X Plane developers left that "feature" out. Pity.

Regards,

It's irrelevant to compare present 3D technology to what "should have been done" by ACES a decade or more ago. You can keep believing in tweaking and yes, you might get "prompt temporary relief in mild cases". But whether it's messing with undocumented settings or endlessly fiddling with affinity masks, neither is a substitute for better hardware. And if one's hardware is not up to it, then turn the IQ settings down.

• Upvote 1

But don't convince others they have no other solution other than putting up with their problems. Let them have the right to try it for themselves before coming to their own conclusions.

I actually provided solutions that they can use on their system w/o using a tweak like Affinity Mask.  And, like you and everyone else, I made my comments (although not liked by some such as you) as these forums are a free place to express opinions about so-called tweaks and suggest something better.  Not everyone know that lowering your settings and your fps limiter fixes most blurries and giving false hopes a tweak posted back in 2007 is going to work.  If the Affinity Mask and other tweaks worked so well, we wouldn't have 4 or 5 page topics on the blurries about every three or four weeks in different forums here on AVSIM.  Sometimes we have several topics discussing the blurries and somehow I feel there is some motive for continually bringing the topic up.  It has been beaten to death in the FSX Forums since FSX was first released. 

I appreciate your comments but I am definitely not trying to stymie comments about the Affinity Mask tweak.  I posted my comments and members can take them or leave them just like your comments that the Affinity Mask tweak works.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I actually provided solutions that they can use on their system w/o using a tweak like Affinity Mask.  And, like you and everyone else, I made my comments (although not liked by some such as you) as these forums are a free place to express opinions about so-called tweaks and suggest something better.  Not everyone know that lowering your settings and your fps limiter fixes most blurries and giving false hopes a tweak posted back in 2007 is going to work.  If the Affinity Mask and other tweaks worked so well, we wouldn't have 4 or 5 page topics on the blurries about every three or four weeks in different forums here on AVSIM.  Sometimes we have several topics discussing the blurries and somehow I feel there is some motive for continually bringing the topic up.  It has been beaten to death in the FSX Forums since FSX was first released. 

I appreciate your comments but I am definitely not trying to stymie comments about the Affinity Mask tweak.  I posted my comments and members can take them or leave them just like your comments that the Affinity Mask tweak works.

Best regards,

Thanks Jim for the in-sight I have removed AM and doesnt seem any different but I will tell you 30 fps locked is a no go for me - unlimited is way better - reason when panning its very slow and sluggish unlimited smooth sailing - all pc specific really and monitor - thanks Buddy for all the help  :wink:

Rich Sennett