Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Brighter terrain, darker cloud shadows - DONE!

Following this thread, I'll let you guys work the bugs out. :)

I have

Hi I believe I tried trees and buildings shadows on - made no difference - will try again but if so not willing to take the hit as I dont really fly much during the day 

Rich Sennett

Hi - yes the shadows don't affect buildings etc and I noticed my pay ware airports namely uk2000 also don't have any shadows so are standing out like a sore thumb (must note that I do have sim objects receive so Uk2000 scenery does accept cloud shadows just this tweak isn't affecting it at all...

Thanks

^ following on from above - I have all shadows enabled in p3d options

Glad to see a solution to darken terrain below cloud.

The incoming question is:

- How can we darken trees & buildings below clouds in the same ratio?

I've made some tests and those are not affected by the shadow tweak.

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

Hi - yes the shadows don't affect buildings etc and I noticed my pay ware airports namely uk2000 also don't have any shadows so are standing out like a sore thumb (must note that I do have sim objects receive so Uk2000 scenery does accept cloud shadows just this tweak isn't affecting it at all...

Thanks

^ following on from above - I have all shadows enabled in p3d options

Are you in agreement its not working properly ?

Rich Sennett

Agreed with above - we really need to find the shader to tweak simobjects, trees and buildings same way as terrain*

Glad to see a solution to darken terrain below cloud.

The incoming question is:

- How can we darken trees & buildings below clouds in the same ratio?

I've made some tests and those are not affected by the shadow tweak.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/486643-brighter-terrain-darker-cloud-shadows-done/page-6#entry3403232

shader file General.fx, line #663.

I think there is no balanced solution to use extremely dark shadows (with coeff. 0.1) without turning on trees, vegetation and simobjects receive shadows and making this correction in general.fx.

It's working fine, but I won't put the same ratio than the one in GPUTerrain.fx (line 720).

I'm going to set less. For example for 0.1f in GPUTerrain, I'll probably set 0.6f in general.fx

The ratio in general.fx works also on 3D cockpit shadow, so if you set 0.1f, you'll need a lighter to find the throttle :Tounge:

EDIT: I don't use HDR

Roland

MSFS my local airport release: LFOR Chartres-Metropole

MSFS Plugins RAAS (registered FSUIPC7 required)

MSFS FX for Objects & Landmark in France (Steam and smoke) and Aerial coverage for French nuclear sites

yes another issue - dark VC - not a fan of that - hoping this becomes something very cool

Rich Sennett

Hmm, I don't have any issues at all with the tweaks here, although I did settle on 0.75 for the darker shadows as noted by KNOSSOS. Looks great, with very very good looking shadows and haze:

Ba27iO0.jpg

FngDG4P.jpg

Hmm, I don't have any issues at all with the tweaks here, although I did settle on 0.75 for the darker shadows as noted by KNOSSOS. Looks great, with very very good looking shadows and haze:

Daytime - now try dawn and dusk - not so good

Rich Sennett

I see no issues with dawn or dusk rendering..

z3G8hra.jpg

czPXh7A.jpg

UdPnU1K.jpg