Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[08MAY16] PMDG DC-6 Update - Beta Testing Nearly FInished for X-Plane Release!

Steve, No need- the plane they modeled this after ( I think ) is on sale for 1.2 million...

Peter Osborn

That is amazing you can buy a DC-6 for less than a P-51 Mustang, but yeah it is for sale on Controller for 1.2mill. I don't have the money anyway which is why I've been around in FS for so long, lol. I see everyone is over the in the 747-400 v3.0 Queen of the Skies II (as named by RSR) thread. Hopefully once the FSX/P3D versions start getting shown the thread picks up. I haven't touched X-Plane in a long time myself, but if I make any type of migration it will be to P3D.

• Upvote 1

Very cool plane....looking forward to it coming to P3D.  One question on the GPS....is the the default or have you modelled it as per the real thing as well ?  If default, any option to sub in the GTN750 ?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

How has the development on the X-Plane platform been for the PMDG team? I know before setting out on this endeavor the team expected some difficulties (or perhaps, challenges when working with the unfamiliar platform) - how were they handled, and do you see the XP platform being a feasible platform for development in the future? 
I am very interested as I have made the switch to X-Plane some time ago, and I cannot look back now. 

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

One question on the GPS....is the the default or have you modelled it as per the real thing as well ?

Default. As mentioned earlier in the thread, we wanted to get into development for X-Plane without having to worry about the complexities of modern displays, FBW, and so on, thus the DC-6 with steam gauges.

If default, any option to sub in the GTN750 ?

Where would you put it?  :blink:

(That's not a knock on the 750. The DC-3 has one and I rather like it. That panel has a bit more open real estate though.)

Kyle Rodgers

How has the development on the X-Plane platform been for the PMDG team? I know before setting out on this endeavor the team expected some difficulties (or perhaps, challenges when working with the unfamiliar platform) - how were they handled, and do you see the XP platform being a feasible platform for development in the future? 

I am very interested as I have made the switch to X-Plane some time ago, and I cannot look back now. 

Good questions. I'd be interested to hear the answers as well.

Great shots. This bird is looking better and better by the day.

One thing I haven't seen anywhere is bad weather flying in the DC-6, which is obviously something a lot of us simmers do from the comfort of our desktops. Does the DC-6 have rain on the wind shield modeled? Or perhaps even icing?

I think this is a very interesting question (as there are not too many aircraft developers that develop for both ESP and X-Plane) but I doubt you will see a response to this in official capacity.

Can I completely remove the GPS from the cockpit? :)

Nope. You wouldn't want to, either, as it has your COM1 and NAV1 radios. The GPS defaults to the CDI page, though, so it doesn't give you any information unless you want it to.

As RSR noted in the original post, we chose to model a very specific DC-6. Additionally, with all of the requirements of today's airspace, it's nice to have when you need it. As a final note, it's actually very easy to just ignore all of the non-COM1/NAV1 functions of the unit and keep yourself in the /A mindset.

Kyle Rodgers

Nope. You wouldn't want to, either, as it has your COM1 and NAV1 radios. The GPS defaults to the CDI page, though, so it doesn't give you any information unless you want it to.

As RSR noted in the original post, we chose to model a very specific DC-6. Additionally, with all of the requirements of today's airspace, it's nice to have when you need it. As a final note, it's actually very easy to just ignore all of the non-COM1/NAV1 functions of the unit and keep yourself in the /A mindset.

Thank you.
At least the approximate price?  B)  

My gosh, rereading this post today has me salivating on my laptop...  This looks bloody marvelous. Well done.  I sure look forward to flying it in X-Plane.

I feel that this series of images show off some of the major strengths of X-Plane - particularly lighting and atmosphere. I still have all three sims installed, but I find myself flying X-Plane on a daily basis lately, and it's hard to ignore how great the 'feel' of being in a well designed, lit, and textured cockpit really is in X-Plane.  It seems that on every flight I take I find myself having at least one or two 'wow' moments.

This DC-6 looks like it's going to up the 'wow' moments count even more.

One thing that also stands out to me which has raised my anticipation of this aircraft even higher than it already has is the image showing the maintenance panel. It looks like a perfect blend of complexity and ease of use. Being able to track and handle engine wear, fluid levels, tracking the time per engine, looks awesome.  This is the type of stuff I like to see, done up in a way that adds interest, but not too overly bloated or complex.

Did I say I was looking forward to this one? :wink:

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'm loving the look of this DC-6 and with other top notch aircraft now available for X-Plane I feel I am missing out. I have recently swapped over from FSX:SE to P3D v3.2 and that's been expensive but now I am beginning to think the space I can free up with finally deleting FSX could be used for X-Plane. Anyone have any pointers as to what I would need? As a long term user of FSX I rely heavily on addon scenery, weather engines and FSUPIC.

Like many others, i'm sure, this DC-6 (and ixeg 737) have forced me to adopt X-plane, and i'm glad I did!  This looks like a re-define of the term "immersion", and I can't wait to get it!  How many month would you estimate it will take an A&P to absorb the flight manual?! 

How many month would you estimate it will take an A&P to absorb the flight manual?!

The POH was definitely written for flight crew and not mechanics, although there is enough system description to fulfill the pilots need to know. Also, the POH is a 1950's document by Douglas edited by PMDG to be relevant, so as an A&P you will be very interested in the many sources of information on the web that cover the aircraft's engines and systems. There is also an AF "dash-one" out there too for the C-118 that has insightful information into operating this complex aircraft.

It took me several weeks to start becoming familiar with basic operating practices, and I have decades of actual twin prop time in a logbook.  I am still learning months later.

Dan Downs KCRP