Sign in to follow this  
Adamski_NZ

Prepar3D Tweak Assistant (PTA) - Screenshots & Presets

I've taken a couple of shots (of the mountains) - one at full moon - one with no moon. There's quite a difference between the two, but there's definitely some improvements to be made, as "no moon" should be pretty well pitch black, which it isn't at all in my preset.

As to desaturation - I'm not sure what can be done about that, given the limitiations of P3D. I still think the terrain ought to be desaturated (just as with pure sodium/yellow street lighting) - you'd be seeing everything almost in total monochrome ... BUT ... illumination by landing/taxi lights should (in theory) bring out the colours. I just don't think P3D models lighting to that sort of complexity.

Adam.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Thanks for watching into that problem!

Mh, for an unknown reasons i expected the answer, that it might not be possible to color the ground with the taxi/landing lights.

But i am very happy that you are finetuning the rendering of snow during night time. I can do further testing if you tell je, which parameter might have a positive effect, but at the moment i am busy to handle my Dash8 on the way from Christchurch to Queenstown, seems to be quite bumby down under today :)

Matthias

Here are my comparison shots - all taken near LOWI (winter):

Midnight, full moon:

pta_lowi_tests_01_800.jpg

pta_lowi_tests_02_800.jpg

7am, full moon:
pta_lowi_tests_03_800.jpg

pta_lowi_tests_04_800.jpg

Midnight, NO moon:
pta_lowi_tests_05_800.jpg

pta_lowi_tests_06_800.jpg

7am NO moon:
pta_lowi_tests_07_800.jpg

pta_lowi_tests_08_800.jpg

Apart from the lack of colour with landing lights, I think the moonlight effect is OK. This is with two parameters from 20_09 changed to:
Objects lighting: Diffuse moonlight: 1.60 (2.90)
Terrain lighting: Diffuse moonlight: 1.10 (1.50)

I prefer the pics with the sepia (blue) filter added, buit you could try reducing its power if you like: ColorToneZ: 2.0 to maybe 1.80 or 1.60.

Adam.

Thank you so much!

I will test with my monitor and my setup. ColorToneZ is 1.7 already, so i've been on the right track :smile:

Thankfully, Matthias

as "no moon" should be pretty well pitch black, which it isn't at all in my preset.

Yes please. At night, no moon or even quarter moon should be much darker.

Eric 

Yes please. At night, no moon or even quarter moon should be much darker.

I've added a note to the 20_09 entry on my presets page (http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=PTA) - to tweak the values to those a couple of posts above. I'll make sure better values get put into the next preset I do.

Adam.

• Upvote 1

Hey Adam,

I am using PTA 2.04. I have applied your preset 20_09 and also made the suggested manual changes on your nzfsim site as per your post above. I am seeing very blue ocean water. Ocean water should be a dark black-blue. Is this an error on my side? I am wondering if I applied your preset incorrectly. I was using one of your earlier presets and simply opened PTA, opened the new preset and applied the new 20_09 preset. Should I perhaps have restored default shaders first, before applying your 20_09 preset? I have adjusted the in sim HDR settings as recommended by yourself.

Thanks and regards!

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I am using PTA 2.04. I have applied your preset 20_09 and also made the suggested manual changes on your nzfsim site as per your post above. I am seeing very blue ocean water. Ocean water should be a dark black-blue. Is this an error on my side? I am wondering if I applied your preset incorrectly. I was using one of your earlier presets and simply opened PTA, opened the new preset and applied the new 20_09 preset. Should I perhaps have restored default shaders first, before applying your 20_09 preset? I have adjusted the in sim HDR settings as recommended by yourself.

Looks like you've done everything correctly :smile:. I'm also seeing fairly saturated blue sea - but I thought that was due to my last bout of fiddling with REX water textures. I'll have a play. It's possible that the sky saturation tweak is also being applied to the sea - or there's just too much reflectivity and the sea is picking up too much sky colouring. Thanks for the feedback!

Adam.

Ok, thanks Adam! I am also using REX water textures, and REX sky and cloud textures, along with AS16. It does look like it could be over saturation.

On another note, I also notice that lights on the ground at night are very white. There is no yellow/orange hue. It is as if the entire world has converted overnight to white LED lighting. :-)

Cheers!

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

On another note, I also notice that lights on the ground at night are very white. There is no yellow/orange hue. It is as if the entire world has converted overnight to white LED lighting. :-)

Hey Adam love the presets! 

Seeing the same thing as Greg.   What is the tweak again to get rid of the blue/white effect at night?   I was flying and cities look white instead of yellowish orange.  When it gets to sunrise the lighting goes back to the yellowish orange. 

Thanks! 

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I actually like the white lights. At least in the US, at night more and more it is white rather than all yellow/orange as towns transition to LED street lighting. Before it was way to yellow/orange. Good work Adam!

Eric 

Seeing the same thing as Greg.   What is the tweak again to get rid of the blue/white effect at night?   I was flying and cities look white instead of yellowish orange.  When it gets to sunrise the lighting goes back to the yellowish orange.

The main one to watch out for is in the "Custom Tweaks" section: "AutogenNightDesaturation". You may also want to look at "Urban areas lighting at night" (desaturation).

Adam.

Here's Tasmanian "Trio" from a recent session. I'm working on 20_10, but I think I'm running out of things to tweak LOL!

tasmania_01_626_1350.jpg

tasmania_02_103_1350.jpg

tasmania_03_241_1350.jpg

Adam.

• Upvote 1

Wow, just tried this preset and it is extremely good!  Gus, one more thing you might do is to restrict your visibility in AS16.  I set my max lower vis to around 25 and my upper vis to 150.  I'm cruising along at FL210 in the Flight1 Mustang and it all looks spectacular.

XnuXdJN.jpg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.