Sign in to follow this  
YukonPete

Anyone using a VIZIO 50" 4K UHD LED Smart TV (D50u-D1)

Anyone using a VIZIO 50" 4K UHD LED Smart TV (D50u-D1) for P3D / XP10? If so how are you finding it? It may be a cheap TV but its got the fastest response time of all 2016 model 4K TV's and it can run at 30 or 60 Hz.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/vizio-vizio-50-4k-uhd-led-smart-tv-d50u-d1-d50u-d1/10416749.aspx?path=c44f0a7a826c761127a64c04148a5f8cen02

We have the 42" M Series, and it's EXCELLENT! Picture quality, ease of use... all 100%!

Alan   :smile:

I'm pretty sure that is the exact model I use. I'll have to double check when I get home.

I love mine. Great in all aspects.

One small quibble is that in standby mode (computer off, tv on) the screen constantly displays 'no input' so the screen never truly goes off unless the tv is off.

2nd small quibble is that with very specific patterns on the screen, a high frequency tone can be heard. I first noticed this with a zoomed out Excel spreadsheet grid pattern.

Oh... we just use the Vizio for watching TV, not as a HD Monitor. It does that very well.

Alan  :smile:

Oh... we just use the Vizio for watching TV, not as a HD Monitor. It does that very well.

Alan  :smile:

I will not be using it for TV. It's strictly as a PC monitor for P3D & XPlane

Just looked, yes this is the exact size a model I use on my PC. I run it on one GTX970 with FSX. Don't think I've ever seen the GPU maxed out running it at 4k yet.

Got me interested too, in checking out this monitor. Would be a BIG upgrade from my trusty 25 inch Samsung monitor.

In looking around there is better pricing, around $550 at several retail places. (Wal-Mart, Target etc.)

Got me interested too, in checking out this monitor. Would be a BIG upgrade from my trusty 25 inch Samsung monitor.

In looking around there is better pricing, around $550 at several retail places. (Wal-Mart, Target etc.)

I am in Canada so the link I shared is in Canadian Dollars :)

To anyone contemplating the purchase of a 4k TV for use as a PC monitor, I suggest you read the analysis and utilize the information compiled at this site: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-usage/pc-monitor/best

4k 60Hz is great, and so is low response time/input lag but you should also look for chroma 4:4:4 capability or you may end up with visual anomalies and less desirable image quality.

LOL... overkillllllll :smile:

What's overkill?  Information?  4:4:4 chroma?  

If the former, I find that ironic, given the nature of the product your company sells and the requirement that your users process large amounts of information to configure and use said product properly.

If the latter, I can show you plenty of pictures users have taken of their 4k TVs demonstrating visual anomalies which are the direct result of lack of 4:4:4 chroma support.

If you think 4:4:4 chroma support is something only found on high-end TVs, you're mistaken.  Vizio's 2016 E series supports it and starts @ $500 for the 43" model.  Samsung's 2016 KU6300 lineup starts @ $550 for the 40" version.  

What's overkill?  Information?  4:4:4 chroma?  

If the former, I find that ironic, given the nature of the product your company sells and the requirement that your users process large amounts of information to configure and use said product properly.

If the latter, I can show you plenty of pictures users have taken of their 4k TVs demonstrating visual anomalies which are the direct result of lack of 4:4:4 chroma support.

If you think 4:4:4 chroma support is something only found on high-end TVs, you're mistaken.  Vizio's 2016 E series supports it and starts @ $500 for the 43" model.  Samsung's 2016 KU6300 lineup starts @ $550 for the 40" version.  

No... overkill as in TMI for me... I really try not to overthink things and that pile of information would lead to just that.  I'm a user as well... not just a developer.  Please remember that.

No... overkill as in TMI for me... I really try not to overthink things and that pile of information would lead to just that.  I'm a user as well... not just a developer.  Please remember that.

Alright, sorry if I came off too harsh.  

Did you look at the summary table down the page?  Lots of critical information including support for 4k 60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma, and both input lag and response time values in ms.  

Sure, I read it... but see... I purchased the 43" so it was a larger screen 2 feet in front of my growing older eyes.  I spend a ton of time reading text and typing.  Not so much in games.  Like I said... overkill :smile:

The TV just arrived. I we'll post my thoughts after I've had the weekend to test P3D and XP on it.