Sign in to follow this  
troyboy66

FSX top-down texture issue

I seem to have messed something up and not entirely sure how. I installed Avast to do some cleaning and this occurred. https://s19.postimg....y1f/fsx_top.jpg,https://s19.postimg....y1f/fsx_top.jpg. I have since uninstalled Avast and is unable to undo what was done, if it in fact caused the problem.

Its the only problem I have so far in FSX and don't know how to resolve it. Perhaps someone here with knowledge knows which file is missing and how to replace it. I'm running FSX Accelerator on Win7 64. At this point I rather not reinstall since its the only issue I'm having. FSX functions just fine. Thanks in advance.

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

I'm running FSX Accelerator on Win7 64. At this point I rather not reinstall since its the only issue I'm having.

Hard to say, never seen that issue before but at least your not having any other issues. Have you tried rebuilding the scenery cache and also the shaders cache folders? What addons do you have installed beside EZDoc?

Btw, it's FSX Acceleration not Accelerator.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hard to say, never seen that issue before but at least your not having any other issues. Have you tried rebuilding the scenery cache and also the shaders cache folders? What addons do you have installed beside EZDoc?

Btw, it's FSX Acceleration not Accelerator.

Haven't tried  rebuilding scenery cache yet but have rebuild shaders.

I have tons of addons - GSX, REX texture direct, PFPX, Topcat, VFXCentral, DX10 fixer,  EZDOC..lots of 3rd party scenery and aircraft. ASN and Pro-ATC/X on client PC. All function just fine.

Whats the best way to rebuild scenery cache?

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Whats the best way to rebuild scenery cache?

Follow this. I meant to call it the Scenery Indexes not Scenery Cache.

Delete/Rebuild your Facilities/Scenery Indexes and Shader Folders – These are temporary folders and should be deleted periodically (they will be rebuilt):

Facilities/Scenery Indexes are located in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\FSX\(hidden). For P3D, instead of Microsoft\FSX, look in LockHeed Martin\Prepar3D v2 for the indexes. Delete the Facilities and Scenery folders. They will be rebuilt.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Delete/Rebuild your Facilities/Scenery Indexes and Shader Folders – These are temporary folders and should be deleted periodically (they will be rebuilt):

Ok I followed this procedure, but still no go. Thanks for all you help by the way. Would you happen to know where this specific file is located in FSX? Perhaps I can take a look inside there to see what the condition of it is. Maybe something missing or corrupted. I should have mentioned that I have ORBX FTX Global along with some of the regions as well as UTX USA and Canada. I reinstalled these but none of those helped. I've also disabled temporarily  UTX and FTX regions to see if this helps, but still unresolved.

Troy Kemp

Anyone else has any ideas how I can fix this?

Troy Kemp

Bump!

Troy Kemp

No idea whats causing it but I did a 4x top down zoom on the same location and you seem to have the correct 4x zoom image in the centre field of view. The symmetry of that 'error' would suggest its got something to do with a smaller zoom factor (about 0.8) attempting to filter in over the top of it.

The symmetry of that 'error' would suggest its got something to do with a smaller zoom factor (about 0.8) attempting to filter in over the top of it.

Exactly! And it covers the remaining earth view as I zoom out further as seen here: https://s19.postimg.org/8dewz60cz/fsx_top_down.jpg

Troy Kemp

Avast is an anti-virus program (I just checked their website and do not see any cleaning software).  How can you use it for cleaning?

Avast is not good for FSX users and I have heard of many getting "false positives" when installing FSX.  Of course, this is what anti-virus programs like Avast is supposed to do... keep the evil people from putting evil stuff on your computer to make it go bye-bye. :smile:

So, if you had Avast installed when you installed FSX, perhaps Avast quarantined a file it thought was a virus.  I can tell you right now that it would be near impossible to tell you what texture file is missing.  What's your best option now?  I would suggest you place your FSX disk in your DVD drive and select "Repair".  When that is completed, you will also need to place the Acceleration disk in and select repair for that program too.  You can then restart FSX and see if the problem has been fixed.  Before you do the repair option, you want to go into any anti-virus and/or malware program you might have installed on your computer and make sure the program does not scan your fsx directory or the directories of any of your add-ons.  Just look for Anti-virus or Anti-Malware Exclusions or something like that.  You don't need your anti-virus or malware programs to scan FSX as you know exactly what is being installed in this folder.  When you buy an add-on for FSX, you know the product is safe.  It's the attachments you get from e-mails or downloading stuff from unknown sites where you could get into trouble.

What will happen when you do a repair of FSX?  It will put any missing file back on your computer.  You will want to back up your Scenery.cfg and your fsx.cfg as those files will be overwritten and returned to the default settings.  After you do the repair, you can return these files back to the appropriate folders.  Everything else will remain intact.  It won't mess with any of your scenery installed or any add-on aircraft as it only overwrites the default stuff. 

If you have any further issues, let us know.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

What will happen when you do a repair of FSX?  It will put any missing file back on your computer.  You will want to back up your Scenery.cfg and your fsx.cfg as those files will be overwritten and returned to the default settings.  After you do the repair, you can return these files back to the appropriate folders.  Everything else will remain intact.  It won't mess with any of your scenery installed or any add-on aircraft as it only overwrites the default stuff.

Jim I will try this later. I didn't try before because I wasn't sure what exactly FSX might do to my current settings. As of now, its not a huge deal since FSX is responding well so I might wait a bit. I just thought there might be a way to extract a file from the disk or from a backup when I installed ORBX GLobal. Thanks for all you help.

Troy Kemp