Sign in to follow this  
steve howlett

LOD distance in miles?

Only reason i ask this question is because i'm wondering why i have blurry texures in the distance.can't be more than 5 miles away.

sitting at FTX Kjac from my VC the Photoreal textures of the mountains are a blurry mess.only when i fly within a mile or two  do they start to load in.

I have my settings for detail at ultra (so LOD at 6.5)and just sitting there they remain blurred.could this be a prepared 3.35 problem .don't remember this in 3.2.

run a stock cfg.something is wrong and deleting cfg does nothing.also reinstalled everything and still the same.

any ideas

thanks

steve

Thanks jay

Just looking through my CFG i noticed that the Lod radius is 5.5,wasn't it 6.5 in 3.2.seems that LM have shrunk it maybe to increase performance.

thanks

steve

I'm not at my flight sim computer ATM, but I'm sure that someone else here can check that. What happens when you manually edit the value to 6.5?

I'll try that jay.

just noticed it a few minutes ago.then got sidetracked.

problem is once i noticed it i uninstalled that scenery and reinstalled orbx vector and Eur LC,I'm now waiting for NA LC to be released before i revisit that scenery.i will try with another airport though

thanks

steve

My P3Dv3.3.5 CFG still shows 6.5 when the LOD slider is at max, so this does not seem to have been changed as suggested.

Where do you guys normally keep this setting at?

I always had this set to 'High' and guess I got used to blurred terrain with the exception for the terrain closest to the aircraft but maybe it's time to try a higher setting.

Richard Åsberg

I have mine set up at max (6.5) and it is too a blurry mess around that same distance. I don't know if it is my 21:9 3440x1440 monitor along with my GTX 970 that can't handle it. I have tried everything and it's always blurry. With FSX is crystal clear. 

With FSX is crystal clear.

I do notice the distance in FSX seems sharper compared to recent versions of P3D. Way back I did compare and they were the same, so I will do another side-by-side (default max) later and see if it is actually the case.

just realised while messing with the settings that i had left it at high.

that would explain why my cfg was set at 5.5.

while trying to get sharper textures at a distance i did set it at Max and that didn't make any difference,so i guess that p3d max setting only goes out to about 3-4 miles .

it must be more noticeable when using photoreal textures which look awful when viewed from a distance.

steve

Weird if you don't see any difference between high and max.

I did a quick test just sitting on the ground in the NGX observing the FPS and noticed how the FPS dropped about 8 FPS when I had it set to max vs high but if the visual experience is the same when not using photo real scenery I see no reason to go any higher than high.

Richard Åsberg

In FSX you could go beyond,

[TERRAIN]
LOD_RADIUS=6.500000

Worked great for all those years using tileproxy.

Seems 6.5, (blurry past a few miles), is the max radius in the latest iterations of P3D. Downloading v3 of MegaSceneryEarth AZ and will see if there is some way to increase the radius...which I doubt.

Safe skies

Seems 6.5, (blurry past a few miles), is the max radius in the latest iterations of P3D. Downloading v3 of MegaSceneryEarth AZ and will see if there is some way to increase the radius...which I doubt.

I believe Rob A has stated before that the 6.5 is a hard limit. The reason is related to code to support tessellation.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I find that running unlimited FPS or a setting your PC can't handle will have the side effect of blurries, making you believe that it is a LOD issue when it really isn't. A quick test of this is to simply pause the sim, if you notice the textures finish loading and get sharper then you are asking too much from your system. I suggest to start at the default 20 FPS and work up from there. Remember , the faster you fly the heavier the load it will put on your system. If it's just photoreal you are having the issues with you might look to increasing TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=30 a bit higher. 

There is a lot more going on in the  P3D rendering pipeline than in FSX so we can't really compare them LOD to LOD.( well I guess you could if you disabled all the eye candy that FSX doesn't have such as cloud shadows, tessellation etc etc)

I'm sure all the affinity mask/vsync/frame time tweakers will chime in soon but in my experience it amounts to a hill of beans. Get your sim settings in line first and try tweaks as a last resort if all else fails.