Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

P3D 3.4 Experience Thread

I use Track IR and have never seen that.

Bob, you are one lucky guy.  But do you not run a more vanilla setup ?  Your setup is not as addon heavy, if I recall correcly from previous threads.

That's the theory. Reality however, tends to throw you some curve balls. You don't work in software, do you?

Been working in software since the early 90's. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

This is what Orbx ESSA looked like...I think the screenshot speaks for itself...

Also check out my VAS when this happened...under 100 MB left and never think I've seen that before either since anything under 200 MB would normally result in an OOM CTD rather quickly.

And yeah...edited to add if you have problem orienting yourself looking at the screenshot this is northbound on W just before reaching Z...:wink:

P3Dv3.4...bye%20bye.JPG

Richard Åsberg

Also check out my VAS when this happened...under 100 MB left and never think I've seen that before either since anything under 200 MB would normally result in an OOM CTD rather quickly.

Richard

What were your active addons to have left you with 100MB of VAS at ESSA?  Also, how long was your flight?

One thing I noticed when I was running 3.4 was how lots of textures were black even when I had plenty of VAS left.

In some cases they would transform into the correct colors after a couple of seconds but in other situations (and especially if available VAS was running low) they would remain all black.

For all of you currently on 3.4, what are your experiences in this matter?

On 3.4 since one week. Last flight departed from (FSDT) KJFK with a PMDG 737 and didn't observe any of the above issues.

Never had any ding-of-death til far (UTX+GEP3D+FTX Trees active).

I updated as usual client, content and scenery.msi

My settings are average/high, only LOD radius set to high and 2048 texture size, autogen very dense x3.

I only had the "15 fps" issue two times, but NV GeForce driver 373.06 apparently solved the problem (will report).

Cheers,

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

Bob, you are one lucky guy.  But do you not run a more vanilla setup ?  Your setup is not as addon heavy, if I recall correcly from previous threads.

Here is what I am running right now. 

i5   3.1 GHZ

GTX 750 TI

Version 3.4

AS16 with soft clouds 

GTN 650

Plan G3 moving map

PF3 ATC

My Traffic 6  35 % GA 5 % Tubeliners

UTX USA, Canada, Carribean

Orbx Free airports

5 Orbx Terrain Regions West USA

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

Richard

What were your active addons to have left you with 100MB of VAS at ESSA?  Also, how long was your flight?

My flight was from FT EKCH to Orbx ESSA in the NGX using AS16 with 512 DXT3 cloud textures and all the Orbx global add-ons including FTX Global, Vector and openLC. In Vector I only had highways and primary roads selected and it was during daytime meaning no lights on the ground.

Richard Åsberg

Been working in software since the early 90's. 

Really?! Any experience in development, installers and fixing client issues? Can you not think of reasons why a clean install might not be more reliable/stable than an updated one?

My flight was from FT EKCH to Orbx ESSA in the NGX using AS16 with 512 DXT3 cloud textures and all the Orbx global add-ons including FTX Global, Vector and openLC. In Vector I only had highways and primary roads selected and it was during daytime meaning no lights on the ground.

Certainly something odd there. I did EGKK(UK2000) -EKCH(FT) last night in the NGX (at night) and landed with 80% VAS usage. Also FTX Global, Vector (same selections as you), and landclass installed - on VATSIM. This VAS issue seems to be random which is odd

I use Track IR and have never seen that. I am flying right now, and tried rapidly turning my head left and right, and no black textures. Now that being said, I never added all these texture tweaks that people are using, so maybe that is what is causing the problems. 

I'm running a heavy load on the sim with high levels of autogen and AI, so I don't complain, but if possible I would like the sim to prioritize textures above a few other things to work around this. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Really?! Any experience in development, installers and fixing client issues? Can you not think of reasons why a clean install might not be more reliable/stable than an updated one?

Worked in software involving interfacing with programmers for multi  million dollar commercial simulators, for military and commercial customers. If something was malfunctioning we may reload software. We only do that with the section of the program that is problematic, not wiping everything, which is usually not necessary. We try not to fix things that are not broken. 

spacer.png

but if possible I would like the sim to prioritize textures above a few other things to work around this. 

me too

Worked in software involving interfacing with programmers for multi  million dollar commercial simulators, for military and commercial customers. If something was malfunctioning we may reload software. We only do that with the section of the program that is problematic, not wiping everything, which is usually not necessary. We try not to fix things that are not broken. 

So essentially you're agreeing with me then. I agree that a full re-install should not need to be done. But that's not the same as realising that a clean install will always be less prone to error than a updated one. Especially when you consider in our particular case the first thing we do is go and throw a load of software into the application folder that may or may not alter swathes of the application files.

• Upvote 1

I guess my next step will be a full and clean installation since reverting back to 3.3 still didn't fix my VAS issues.

Richard Åsberg

It's all about those addons... 64 bit will be great, but I fear more lazyness. Even if we never will have VAs issues in a 64 bit environment, we might end up with a stuttering mess if developers continue to write lazy code. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!