Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

P3D 3.4 Experience Thread

I guess it's easier for LM to deal with problems in the latest version than compliments about earlier versions :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I was going to do the same 3.2 was way better on vast but ditch not have the relevant hotbox to install active sky

What do you mean by this ?

I guess it's easier for LM to deal with problems in the latest version than compliments about earlier versions :wink:

Might be so but question is how they are dealing with the VAS issues in the latest version many of us myself included are suffering from?

This thread alone is a 26 pages thread at the time of writing this and so far I've seen nothing from LM a hotfix or whatever is being worked on. Fact is I haven't even seen an official statement they are aware of the issues and confirmed them but maybe I just overlooked it?

Posted this over in LM forums minutes ago and looking forward to their comments if any...

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=122226

Richard Åsberg

Even though I completely believe that some of you have massive VAS issues, I think it must be something on your systems. I did two flights yesterday.

The first one from Aerosoft EGLL to Aerosoft EDDF v2 (two extreme VAS hogs) in the PMDG 777 running Orbx Vector (only first two levels of roads), Orbx openLC EU, AS16, FS2Crew, ProATC/X and MyTraffic 6 @10% airliner traffic. I noticed that I only had 400 Mb of free VAS when I was flying over Belgium and thought about saving and restarting the flight. However, I just continued and was quite surprised to see that I landed in Frankfurt without issues and around 320 Mb of free VAS. Didn't even get a ding from FSUIPC.

The second flight took me from Flightbeam KDEN to Orbx KEGE in the PDMG NGX. Same add-ons as above but without ATC and without FS2Crew (even though I own FS2Crew NGX Reboot, I like to do the stuff myself in NGX). Landed with 800 Mb of free VAS.

My settings are medium. I have autogen buildings and trees on normal, water on high, textures at 2048 and cloud shadows on. LOD at 4.5. And I should add that I run a triple monitor setup at 5910x1080.

• Upvote 2

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

LM should get the main 3rd party addons during their beta stage with these addons installed (which majority of users have - like FTX, PMDG, ASN) and test the hell out of VAS issues.  No point testing base sim with no global/vector and ftx.  Base sim is just flat out ugly  That way when a patch or release is released it will help minimizing VAS issues.  The blame game from sim to 3rd party vice versa etc is ridiculous.  I hope there is a ticket system on LM's forum.  Man, so many threads just don't have answers.  Where is the support when you pay for a product.  LM should emulate PMDG support as their support is on par with Apple support - amazing

Also, forcing everyone to install outside main directory should happen.  I can totally install almost any addon with mklinks and faking directory and then managing simobjects.cfg, effects.cfg etc - and prepar3d sees it the way it should but almost everything can be installed outside (not for daily users).  This is becoming a huge cluster @$%@ I have spend more time on installing, optimizing, and tweaking etc than flying. 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

So...maybe it's time to start installing GTA or something where I will be able to enjoy myself rather than spending all my time troubleshooting stupid issues...

P3D has made you turn to a life of crime.... lol!

• Upvote 3

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

LM should get the main 3rd party addons during their beta stage with these addons installed (which majority of users have - like FTX, PMDG, ASN) and test the hell out of VAS issues.  No point testing base sim with no global/vector and ftx.

Sounds great in theory but totally impractical in practice. WHO decides which are the "main" add ons? There are way too many possible combinations that we use in our sims. Sorry, but IMHO, it is the responsibility of the 3PD to conform to the platform, not LM's responsibility to conform to the 3PD.

While I certainly sympathize with those who have VAS issues I can say that for every thread I have read across all the forums that I monitor where posters are describing various VAS issues, I can find post from a similar amount that are not.  So much depends on the individual system config, the add ons and they type of flying.

LM produces a product that works - problems start with the add-ons - seems to me that fixing the add ons would be the top priority.

I am lucky as I RARELY get an OOM but I also only have very few add on airports and don't fly the complex PMDG detailed style of add on.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Sounds great in theory but totally impractical in practice. WHO decides which are the "main" add ons? There are way too many possible combinations that we use in our sims. Sorry, but IMHO, it is the responsibility of the 3PD to conform to the platform, not LM's responsibility to conform to the 3PD.

While I certainly sympathize with those who have VAS issues I can say that for every thread I have read across all the forums that I monitor where posters are describing various VAS issues, I can find post from a similar amount that are not.  So much depends on the individual system config, the add ons and they type of flying.

LM produces a product that works - problems start with the add-ons - seems to me that fixing the add ons would be the top priority.

I am lucky as I RARELY get an OOM but I also only have very few add on airports and don't fly the complex PMDG detailed style of add on.

Vic

I have never had an OOM, and I run all kinds of add ons.  Of course when I state my experience, some will immediately accuse me of lying...  :nea:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

P3D has made you turn to a life of crime.... lol!

Yeah, I don't know why but I suddenly got this urge to blow things up and kick someone's ***...really curious where it all came from :wink:

Richard Åsberg

LM should get the main 3rd party addons during their beta stage with these addons installed (which majority of users have - like FTX, PMDG, ASN) and test the hell out of VAS issues.

This wouldn't work because two of those products (FTX Objectflow.dll and ASN) attach to the EXE in an unsupported manner that only the 3rd party developer would know.  I've pointed this issue out a several 100 times before (usually to those blaming Beta testers for not testing products that they couldn't possibly test) and it seems to be going on deaf ears or people just don't want to believe the reality of that situation.

I even gave VERY specific details on how these 3rd party devs are attaching but I guess I got into too much tech/info and was ignored by the user community.  

But it's important to know it's a SHARED responsibility and you can't ignore that many developers optimize their work flows/requirements using FSX as the base ... I don't know their financial numbers, but apparently the financials don't look good if the focus is just one product (FSX) or the other (P3D) - it must be both.  This may or may NOT change even when/if a 64bit P3D is released ... if anyone noticed DTG used Orbx scenery in a their 64bit sim.  This can be both good and bad news, good that it was easy to integrate, bad that it might mean we still see FSX compromises in a 64bit P3D.

Cheers, Rob.

Remember those guys, Alphonse and Gaston?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Alphonsegaston.jpg&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_and_Gaston&h=778&w=1378&tbnid=U7fg6TQJkc0XmM:&tbnh=160&tbnw=283&docid=RvbYK_jgs5XUqM&usg=__HDOkPQkmz83T2nzb_SorRdGbGP4=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_0szAyd3PAhWF4D4KHfnaBnIQ9QEIIDAA

LM's responsibility is limited to making the base sim work without any 3rd party addons installed. It's up to the 3rd party developers to make their specific addons work with P3d. On the other hand, it is much easier for LM to run P3d in debug mode and figure out whether an addon is misbehaving. If you want an example of a "classic" version of this conundrum, take a look at this thread on the official P3d message board where 3rd party developers pointed out a potential bug in SimConnect:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6310&t=120711&p=142317&hilit=sode#p142317

I expect LM tech staff to respond at some point, assuming that they can reproduce the bug. Heck, I can reproduce the behavior but I have no idea whether it is a bug or not. There are discussions about this issue online in a few other locations. Some people have even speculated that this "bug" may be the root cause of those CTDs that don't show up until hours into a flight.

Hi Jay,

Interesting thread, but I think Clifton (LM) meant to say he has NOT been able to replicate the issue.  Do you know what SimConnect client SODE and/or TacPack use?

I definitely could see a problem with resources not being released (like Airport resources that are generated via SODE), but wouldn't want to jump to conclusions until LM could confirm/replicate.  

Cheers, Rob.

What I can say about my experiences so far with the 3.4 version of P3D is that i have more OOMs than ever before. Just now i flew Athens - Copenhagen (FlyTampa's airports) with pmdg 738w, in real time, no OOM, with orbx global, vector, asca and as2016. Yesterday flew lax - sea (FSDT and T2G) no orbx regions, OOM happened some 150 miles from SEA. Same happened the other day from YSSY in 77F on a flight to VHHH, crashed some 35 mins after takeoff. Also last week flew from EDDM to KIAD with 77L no OOM. Just to give a few examples.  I don't know, some days are better then the others i guess. 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

welcome---switch back to 3.5 and you will complete all your flights even 5 flights after each other between any heavy ad don airport without shutting down your flight sim once.

I cannot do it with 3.4 so will you, so make life easier---3.4 no go until LM sorts it out------if they do