Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

P3D 3.4 Experience Thread

Most likely much sooner than that ;)

I completed KSFO (FB) to KLAX (default) with my extreme settings, 2.84GB VAS on departure ... stayed that way for most of the flight, when arrived and taxi to gate at KLAX, VAS was at 3.24GB (so about 400MB used) - this was with a less complex aircraft the One-Eleven.  I'll repeat the same flight using PMDG 737 and report results later.

Cheers, Rob.

So with what version do you test .... ? :-)

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

this is how i installed--a complete fresh install of v3.4, then added all my ad ons vector, fs global europe lc north america, england, germany north norway alaska etc, then i added all my payware airports all payware aircraft.  I did not add all the add on's one by one and then tested for ooms. I added all of my ad ons at once and then started to use the sim.  So with other words I installed everything and then only started to use the sim. Straight away I experienced the ooms.Then the only thing i did is to uninstall client v3.4 and installed clientv3.2. Thereafter everything behaved normal again with no oom issues. I used it for about a week without issues and then today uninstalled the v3.2 client and reinstalled the v3.4 client, and boom it behaves like v3.2 without the ooms. I did not touch my settings and did not install anything else, something weird I did notice that when I installed the client3.4 it did not ask for my licence id nore to activate, why I dont know- i checked my version in flight sim and it shows v3.4.9.18400  All the new bells and whistles are present and works like a charm.iOWH6oa.jpg

This is really promising, I'll keep my fingers crossed Rob for your next test!

Sorry to disappoint, but this testing is with 18400 (released V3.4) ... as you can see with that specific test case, the VAS was as expected (acceptable).  I even recorded the entire flight with VAS (process explorer open) displayed.  This gave me a good base value of about 400MB consumed for the flight where most of the VAS increase (from 2.8GB to 3.2GB came when KLAX (default) loaded).

Next test is to add PMDG into the mix and see if my "relative" VAS consumption remains at about 400MB for the same flight.

I am using AM=170 (only using 4 "real" CPU cores from my 5960X, HT OFF), OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1.  Also note this is with clear weather, no AS16, no Orbx regions enabled, only FTX Global, OpenLC NA/US, Vector, and PILOT's Mesh, and MT6 AI traffic at 10%, and FlightBeams KSFO v2.  But my graphics settings are very extreme with 4096 texture cap (but as we know that seems to have no impact on actual VAS usage only VRAM usage).

There are many test cases I need to run and I'm pretty sure I will NOT be able to complete them before I head out to Maui on vacation, sorry, but our wedding anniversary comes first ;)

Cheers, Rob.

I head out to Maui on vacation

Sounds awesome Rob, enjoy :smile:

Richard Åsberg

the VAS was as expected (acceptable)

To be honest, this is not what I would expect. Flying from a complex add-on airport to a default one, I would actually expect VAS usage to decrease. In the early point-releases of v3, when leaving an add-on airport and you were sufficiently far away from it, VAS usage actually dropped as P3D freed up the memory. This for some reason doesn't happen anymore. I honestly don't understand why LM is having such a hard time replicating the issue. Just install P3D plain vanilla and just one complex add-on airport and then fly away from that airport. I'm pretty sure in v3.4 you will never see a decrease in VAS usage. And this was different in other versions of v3....

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

There are many test cases I need to run and I'm pretty sure I will NOT be able to complete them before I head out to Maui on vacation, sorry, but our wedding anniversary comes first ;)

There's a Real man :)  

Enjoy Rob,  Thank you for all the work you put into this hobby  :hi:

To be honest, this is not what I would expect. Flying from a complex add-on airport to a default one, I would actually expect VAS usage to decrease.

Some observations in my testing:

1.  BASE (default) KSFO with my graphic settings uses 2.73 GB VAS and about 2.8 GB VRAM, FlightBeams KSFO V2 uses 2.81 GB VAS and 3.3 GB VRAM ... so FlightBeam's KSFO V2 is only consuming about 80MB "additional" VAS than default KSFO (I have video proof of this which I'll post later).  This falls into line with my observation on VAS usage using texture caps from 512 to 4096 (i.e. no difference in VAS, only change is in VRAM) - same aircraft, same time, same terminal, etc..

2.  KLAX area is much more "dense" in terms of buildings/AG than KSFO area and the KLAX (default) airport is more complex than KSFO airport, and I'm sure Orbx Vector added a lot more roads and hence more AI road traffic.

3.  Most of my flight was at 2.8GB VAS, only when I hit the LA area did I start to see VAS increase to 2.9GB then 3.0GB and then finally as KLAX loaded it was at 3.2GB.

4.  EDIT: when flying away from 3rd party airport, it really depends where you are when you fly away, if you are close to another "region" as defined in the SDK, that region gets loaded, if you are flying in a direction that brings you over several other smaller airports/cities they will get loaded (if not already) ... so it's difficult to be extremely precise and results will vary as some locations I will see VAS drop, other locations, stays about the same.

So I find the usage certainly within acceptable limits and expected.  I'll admit that item #1 was somewhat of an eye opener for me.

Cheers, Rob.

Enjoy Rob,  Thank you for all the work you put into this hobby

Thanks E, yeah it's been a long time since we've had a "proper" vacation ... hiking, biking, snorkeling, massage, and sun and fun ... might do a heli tour also ... get ready for 4K vacation videos!

Cheers, Rob.

I have now tested my system in view of the various OOM reports, and have to say that I also experience OOM errors with v3.4 when loading the system heavily. This was at a flight from UK2000 EGLL to Aerosoft EDDF v2 with PMDG 777, no other airports active. Only AS16 running.

At EGLL I had approximately 400 MB VAS left, and it only slightly improved over the North Sea. At this point, I knew that I would not make it to EDDF v2, as this scenery also eats VAS significantly. On the approach to EDDF, the expected OOM message popped up. Luckily, I have saved that flight near EDDF and I could re-start at about 30 nm out. But even then, VAS left after landing in EDDF was only about 250 MB.

I hope that LM is going to make something about this as I had no problems with VAS while running v3.2. I like the fluidity of 3.4 and would not like to go back to v3.2 or v3.3.

Cheers,

Chris

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Hmm, I downloaded 3.4 yesterday, but had not done anything with it yet.  I am still on 3.2.  Given this OOM issue with 3.4, I guess I should wait for 3.5 or just go to 3.3.  Is 3.4 that much more fluid?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

EDIT:

One minor correction, FSDreamteam has also reported this issue:

http://www.fsdreamte....html#msg105608

and also claims that it could have something to do with OOMs:

http://www.fsdreamte....html#msg106274

I'm just quoting here, so I have no idea whether that is true or not.

I just occurred to me what virtuali (Umberto Colapicchioni of FSDreamTeam) was saying in this post:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14441.msg106274.html#msg106274

The ntdll.dll CTD is an OOM error where P3d crashes before it can even display the OOM dialog box and gracefully exit on its own terms. Most often the ntdll.dll CTD happens hours into a flight and indicates that the cause is heap corruption. I suppose this theory  is easy to check by using FSUIPC's OOM warning sound.  That should  happen just before the ntdll.dll CTD.

But my graphics settings are very extreme with 4096 texture cap (but as we know that seems to have no impact on actual VAS usage only VRAM usage)

If this is true then how come in my own independent test, spawning in a Taxi2Gate's KSEA, Gate B15, AS16 set in Historical Mode with a PMDG 737NGX did I see a HUUUUGE VAS loss?     Test 1; 4096 texture res. with ASCA clouds set to 4k Textures both both cloud types, No AI.   INSTANT OOM.      Test 2;  4096 texture res, ASCA Clouds set to 1k, NO AI.  400megs VAS remaining on spawn in.    Test 3;  1k Texture Res, 1k ASCA clouds, No AI, 950 megs VAS remaining upon spawn in?   

This is on a GTX 980.   

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

might do a heli tour also ...
If you're doing a chopper tour, try and get one with the doors off...! Enjoy Rob

spawning in a Taxi2Gate's KSEA

Different vendor that produces KSEA and a different location (and you didn't list other add-ons like Orbx Region or Global and/or Vector and how that is configured) ... but if you want to eliminate variables, probably a good idea to NOT use AS16 and set weather to clear.  Although in my experience AS16 even with some nasty weather doesn't use that much VAS (<100MB) with 2048 full dynamics.  Turning off AI traffic is fine, but if you are always testing from a saved flight file it should always be the same time of day and AI schedule should always be about the same ... assuming you're using MT6 default schedules.

You also need to report your VRAM usage during your testing, it should increase as your textures increase.  And finally make sure you delete your shaders before you do any testing.  I'm also assuming your shader cache is set to ON via NCP.

I have Taxi2Gate KSEA ... haven't used it in a while since it does tend to OOM regardless of which P3D version I use.  Did the Taxi2Gate dev release an update for KSEA ... the taxi2Gate website doesn't list anything for KSEA?

Cheers, Rob.

Not only OOM yesterday, but flying from Torp to Malaga, in 737, i had a huge drop in performance AGAIN (this is like 4th time i'm noticing this, an no, no tweaks in the cfg, just NI), lag in clicking on the menus, frames droped from 50s to teens. I just don't get it. It seems that p3d v3.3 performed better on my old gaming laptop than v3.4 on this new desktop that i got a month ago. Will try to reinstall p3d today, maybe i can at least get rid of the performance loss :(

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Just installed latest Taxi2Gate KSEA from my simmarket account.

Test #1 KSEA default with PMDG - VAS 3.52GB - VRAM 2.8GB

Test #2 KSEA Taxi2Gate with PMDG - VAS 3.40GB - VRAM 3.2GB 

As you can see Taxi2Gate KSEA actually used less VAS than default KSEA, but more VRAM which is consistent with my other tests.  Graphics settings used are at the end of the Taxi2Gate KSEA video.

Add-ons are the same as other tests, FTX Global, OpenLC, Vector, PILOT's mesh, MT6.  But just to be clear, I'm NOT saying one can't OOM P3D v3.x, it can be done, toss in a few more add-ons, load a Region, etc. ... starting at 3.4GB isn't going to leave much room for the actual flight.  KSEA is a VAS hot spot with or without add-ons.

Cheers, Rob.